The Covid Menace.

Richie

Staff member
Researchers at the University of Queensland and Australian bio-pharmaceutical major CSL said Friday that they would not move forward with their own vaccine candidate because a protein in the shot triggered false positive results for HIV. Follow up tests confirmed that no HIV was present, the researchers were quick to add in a formal statement.
The vaccine had proven safe and produced a "robust response" to COVID-19 during Phase One trials, researchers said. While it would have been possible to re-engineer the vaccine to avoid the problem with false positives, this would have taken too much time in the midst of the pandemic, they said.
"Doing so would set back development by another 12 or so months, and while this is a tough decision to take, the urgent need for a vaccine has to be everyone's priority," said Professor Paul Young, co-leader of the project.

Last edited: A moment ago

Craig Wilson, 6 minutes ago

Yeah Richie, there's not much point them releasing the vaccine if it's not going to work properly.
Not so sure that is the case Mal as the leader of the project made it clear they were able to re-engineer the solution to eradicate any link to HIV but that this delay meant it will not be ready in time to take its place among the existing vaccines.

There is a lot of disinformation being spread about.
Stuff like in that article telling people they can catch hiv from the vaccine is rubbish.
I did not read anything about being able to catch HIV nor did the project people say that. It is only what ill informed people may perceive that the scientists were concerned with plus any kinda spin from the anti vaxers.

Not what I am reading.
decipher this statement.

a protein in the shot triggered false positive results for HIV

Australian medical company AnteoTech has won a vital European accreditation for its 15-minute COVID-19 antigen rapid test platform, EuGeni to be used in Australia, plus likely European and UK markets..
This follows fellow Queensland start-up Ellume securing a $304 million US government contract for their COVID-19 self-testing kit.

Last edited:
COVID is undoubtedly a menace. In contrast to many of my fellow citizens who don't care about it I don't want to get it. Yesterday the third cohort of the baby-boomers received the green light to register for a vaccination date. That's millions of people aged between 60 and 70.
I'm sitting in front of my PC waiting for being redirected to the website where I can book a vaccination date for me and my wife. Alternatively, I also call a hotline every now and then but all in vain so far.
I managed to book a date for my 90 year old MIL back in January. My elder daughter has already got the jabs and just last night my younger daughter succeeded in getting her dates in May after waiting for one and a half hour at the PC.
Right now most of the vaccinations are being done in ad hoc established Vaccination Centres and not conveniently in doctors' surgeries which means a bit of travelling up to four times if you don't get an appointment for couples. Another point is the vaccine itself. Most people refuse a vector vaccine like AstraZeneca, Johnson&Johnson or even Sputnik V. So, it's a hassle to get an appointment for an mRNA vaccine. Unfortunately, they tell you only at the very end of the registration process which vaccine you'll get which then leads to cancellations and trying to register anew, which slows down the whole campaign enormously. So far I haven't got an appointment. Will have to try again each day.
How is the vaccination campaign organised in Oz?

(My MIL and my daughters)

Last edited:
This Astra Zeneca blood clot scare has caused great confusion here as Australia's biotech giant CSL is producing some 50 mill doses of that vaccine. Or intended to do so before the overseas scare forced the govt to change the vaccine priority. So now under 50s will only receive the Pfizer jab ..if we can get hold of sufficient doses, while the over 50s with get the AZ. So wife and I may be having ours sooner than expected... a little later than you in Germany. My son will also likely be having his sooner too. So the plan is to give most Australians both jabs by later this year. We may end up exporting the left over AZ. You mentioned the Sputnik vaccine. Do we in the West really want to prop up the economy of an authoritarian state such as Russia. A state that steals countries, poisons dissidents and generally keeps its people under its thumb.

Last edited:
Fellas - not too sure about these current vaccines, some of them you need two jabs, others only one jab, then there's the side effects as well... scientists have plenty to do yet to come up with the right formula.

Right now most of the vaccinations are being done in ad hoc established Vaccination Centres and not conveniently in doctors' surgeries
We have been having them administered in select GP surgeries but will now build several additional large vax centres in our capital cities with the aim to expedite things after all this confusion caused delays..

You mentioned the Sputnik vaccine. Do we in the West really want to prop up the economy of an authoritarian state such as Russia. A state that steals countries, poisons dissidents and generally keeps its people under its thumb.
I'm afraid, yes, we do, at least as far as Europe and here again some countries are concerned. It's always the same pattern: Officially, human rights violations are criticised and are also called for at high-level meetings but then there's economic interests leading to business as usual.
Europe is just so dependent on Russian natural gas and oil so that they don't want to take any chances. If in doubt, economic interests always prevail also in relations with China.
Buying their vaccine is a different matter because it does not really prop up their economy but when it comes to the crunch, some European countries or politicians back down. Hungary was so desperate to get vaccines that they didn't wait for EMA recommendations and bought Sputnik V in large quantities. And even our Bavarian prime minister ordered it just on the off-chance that it might get the EMA go-ahead. Yet in Russia itself people don't trust the stuff. Our national Institute for Public Health has just made one statement about it so far and that's that the vaccine is "cleverly designed".
For Russia it's a question of prestige to sell their vaccine to Europe and the world. It's no coincidence that they called in "Sputnik" and "V" for victory, not five. I certainly won't take it.

I'm afraid, yes, we do, at least as far as Europe and here again some countries are concerned. It's always the same pattern: Officially, human rights violations are criticised and are also called for at high-level meetings but then there's economic interests leading to business as usual.
Europe is just so dependent on Russian natural gas and oil so that they don't want to take any chances. If in doubt, economic interests always prevail also in relations with China.
Buying their vaccine is a different matter because it does not really prop up their economy but when it comes to the crunch, some European countries or politicians back down. Hungary was so desperate to get vaccines that they didn't wait for EMA recommendations and bought Sputnik V in large quantities. And even our Bavarian prime minister ordered it just on the off-chance that it might get the EMA go-ahead. Yet in Russia itself people don't trust the stuff. Our national Institute for Public Health has just made one statement about it so far and that's that the vaccine is "cleverly designed".
For Russia it's a question of prestige to sell their vaccine to Europe and the world. It's no coincidence that they called in "Sputnik" and "V" for victory, not five. I certainly won't take it.
Why does Germany not buy Ukraine gas and oil instead of propping up autocratic Russia. No wonder Russia wanted Crimea and is eyeing off Eastern Ukraine.. their extensive o/g reserves.

Why does Germany not buy Ukraine gas and oil instead of propping up autocratic Russia. No wonder Russia wanted Crimea and is eyeing off Eastern Ukraine.. their extensive o/g reserves.
AFAIK, the Ukraine doesn't have any gas and oil of its own but merely ducts Russian gas through to Western Europe. Each time the two countries were having a quarrel the pipelines were closed either by Moscow or by Kiew so that we were suffering. That's why the NorthStream pipeline via the Baltic Sea is being built which is causing the USA to blackmail us with sanctions.

Fellas - not too sure about these current vaccines, some of them you need two jabs, others only one jab, then there's the side effects as well... scientists have plenty to do yet to come up with the right formula.
Myself and colleagues are going to refuse the AstraZeneca vaccine when it's our turn, we are gonna insist upon the Pfizer jab. A solicitor died of a blood clot straight after his AstraZeneca jab not too far from where I am.

Back