The Future of the Aussie Test Side

gbatman

The Future of the Aussie Test Side

ok we really need to turn over some players here. It's time to move on and play some players who have earnt theie place.

Bowlers:
Johnson - Bowls off cutters which is fine with the older ball but needs to learn to bowl with the seam up with the new ball and perferably angled to get swing. Needs to be able to bowl seam up and also bowl his off cutters. As good as he has gone he can do better.
Lee - has been in the side for his pace and now isn't very fast at all. doesn't have a good bouncer and never attemps it and doesn't move the ball very well, he's past it.
Siddle - why is he bowling 10km/h slower in Australia than in India? Needs to be at top pace to get a game.
Krajzer - Needs to be given a chance, has a lot of potential but needs variation and to rid his game of the short rubbish ball. Needs a good armball and maby even a top spinner. I wouldn't expect any one to be able to bowl a dosera but it's something for him to work at.

Bollinger - The most talent bowler in Australia at the moment, taking a lot of wickets, a swing bowler which we desperatly need and bowls with great seam position. Has earnt his spot and should replace Lee or Siddle if he cant get around 145km/h.

Hilfenhaus - Talent swing bowler who was dropped for no reason after playing well in the 1 day side a while back. Bowles a bit short for a swing bowler with the new ball, he bowls at a seamers length and needs to bowl more full but he will be worth playing.

Batsmen:
Katich - Been good.
Hayden - had some bad decisions but if he was in form he wouldn't be giving the umpires a chance to give him out. Hughes and Rogers have earnt a spot in the side and might take his place. Maby deserves another game.
Ponting - He's on the way out and is looking like Steve Waugh at the end of his career. We seem to be carrying him a bit. Probably injuries bringing his downfall.
Clarke - still keeps going out reaching for a ball wide of off all the time, needs to put that shot away.
Hussey - Isn't in form but is in no danger of losing his spot.
Haddin - Has come good.
Symonds - Is a better bat than Watson and looks like he might be on the way back to finding form.

Hughes & Rogers - Two openers who should play test cricket soon. I don't think Ponting and Hayden will be around much longer.

Possible line up post the upcoming Ashes tour:
1.Rogers
2.Katich
3.Hughes
4.Clarke (C)
5.Hussey (VC)
6.Symonds
7.Haddin +
8.Krejzer
9.Johnson
10.Hilfenhaus
11.Bollinger
12.Watson

10. & 11. opening bowlers, swing bowlers one left arm one right, one swinging it into the right handers one away. Johnson 1st change bowling his big off cutters and dangerous bounce. Krejzer will improve.

Re: The Future of the Aussie Test Side

Only one problem with your lineup.

I'd have Clark in for Bollinger or Hilfenhaus.

We need Stuart Clark as the defensive bowler, pending injury.

Depends how immediate you term future. I honestly don't know how much more time Stuart has in him. Wouldn't be surprised to see a retirement after the Ashes, although he could well go on if he gets over the injuries.

EDIT - I see the OP was naming the Ashes team, in which case I agree Clark should be included.

I think maybe Klinger for opener and take Rogers for backup. Thats if Jaques doesn't get over this injury.

Let Hughes develop his game and when Klinger is ready to retire, Hughes can step in. I think we should try Klinger first and if he doesn't succeed Rogers can replace him for now.

How about Rogers and Hughes opening and Katich at 3? That's if Ponting were to retire, I'd still have him in there because he can do anything. Why does everyone put Clarke at 4 and Hussey at 5? I think Hussey would be better at 4 than 5, and Clarke usually seems to struggle early on. Stuart Clark needs to be in the side. Personally I think Haddin would more valuable at 6 and Symonds at 7. Symonds at 7 allows him to be more aggressive, less pressure. And I think Haddin at 6 allows him to make a bigger innings. The idea of a wicketkeeper batting at 7 has become to conventional. The keeper should bat wherever he is needed, not just at 7.

If Ponting and Hayden were both to retire, the squad should be:
1. Rogers
2. Hughes
3. Katich
4. Hussey (VC)
5. Clarke (C)
6. Haddin
7. Symonds
8. Krejza
9. Johnson
10. Hilfenhaus
11. Clark
12th man - Watson

Bollinger
White
Hodge

I think Krejza gets too much of a pass for his abysmal economy rate. I would like to look at spin alternatives that can bowl defensively, even if they aren't as effective at taking wickets.

What about Shaun Marsh ????
He has proved himself in the one dayers it would be worth giving him a go in tests.
Werent we all saying not to long ago why is Symonds in the test team he is just a slogger, now look at him he is making test runs and batting aggressively.
Would be good with Katich as the other opener, Only down side is two left handers if u want a left/right combination.

Maybe, but I was thinking that he would begin like Symonds. He'll struggle for a while before finally settling and making runs.

Mousey;297405 said:
How about Rogers and Hughes opening and Katich at 3? That's if Ponting were to retire, I'd still have him in there because he can do anything. Why does everyone put Clarke at 4 and Hussey at 5? I think Hussey would be better at 4 than 5, and Clarke usually seems to struggle early on. Stuart Clark needs to be in the side. Personally I think Haddin would more valuable at 6 and Symonds at 7. Symonds at 7 allows him to be more aggressive, less pressure. And I think Haddin at 6 allows him to make a bigger innings. The idea of a wicketkeeper batting at 7 has become to conventional. The keeper should bat wherever he is needed, not just at 7.

If Ponting and Hayden were both to retire, the squad should be:
1. Rogers
2. Hughes
3. Katich
4. Hussey (VC)
5. Clarke (C)
6. Haddin
7. Symonds
8. Krejza
9. Johnson
10. Hilfenhaus
11. Clark
12th man - Watson

Bollinger
White
Hodge

I totally agree with that side, If Ponting and Hayden were to retire, although Katich has settled into the opening role quite well.

Yea I like Brad Hodge, but maybe we have to look at alternatives, he's starting to age now. Any No.3 suggestions?

What about the all-rounder position?
I think Symonds has been playing as a batsmen moreso than an all-rounder.

If we're going to play the extra bat, give it to someone who's earnt it and hasn't been dumped for not turning up to training cause he would rather go fishing. I like Shaun Marsh, a bit down on form but could rise to the occasion as he did in the 20/20's in India

If we want an all-rounder, Shane watson ticks all the box's. Good comeback after being dropped back to the Bulls.

An inform Symonds is something to behold but I've lost faith in him due to his recent antics.

Yep I've said this before. Symonds is playing a batsman. Watson finds it hard to get into the team because our tail is so strong.

I'd almost have Watson's bowling good enough to be our 3rd paceman.

breeno;297393 said:
I think maybe Klinger for opener and take Rogers for backup. Thats if Jaques doesn't get over this injury.

Let Hughes develop his game and when Klinger is ready to retire, Hughes can step in. I think we should try Klinger first and if he doesn't succeed Rogers can replace him for now.

Klinger has only secured a spot this season with SA. He couldnt crack a regular game with Vics last year.

I think you play Hughes. Ever since starting Shield he has been outstanding. I dont think we can just put a Rogers in for now. It is time to make some bold moves and put in some new blood.

Hughes, Katich, Ponting, M Clarke, M Hussey, Watson, Haddin, Johnson, Krejza (for now) - he is not a long term option, Clark and Bollinger.

schwab2clarkson;297412 said:
Any wonder why we are shit at the moment. The team isn't settled.

Good teams don't make changes
Good teams don't have to. Got to have a team worth settling with first.

The upper and middle order is pretty settled now, barring injuries and the potential dropping of Hayden. The bowling lineup is in a state of flux, which is natural given the recent changes. No point in picking a hard and fast lineup merely for the sake of having a stable team - some upheaval is necessary to find the right mix.

Agreed. I've always thought Watson's bowling was good. Unfortunately he isn't that dangerous. His main problem is that he is seen as an allrounder, so they expect his batting and bowling to be up to scratch. So although he may be the bowler we are looking for, if his batting is out of touch then he looks worse. I said before this series that I'd rather have Watson in rather than Symonds, but Symonds has proved me wrong. He's put in a couple of good innings. The think I also like about him is that he can bowl both offspin and medium paced deliveries. In Test match cricket only 4 bowlers are needed, and if we needed him we could use him, Michael Clarke, Simon Katich or Michael Hussey.

To me Rogers seems a bit on the nose for our selectors. Never seen Hughes but he's getting the accolades of late.

Is it a case of the new broom always sweeps clean?

Has ne had enough time in first class to warrant a test selection? What sort of bowling attacks has he been exposed to?

All rounders should only be played if they are god enough to get into the side on batting or bowling ALONE. Watson is just above average at both.

Symonds was in good form pre-suspension and was due back.

I do agree about playing Clark instead of Hilfenhaus but Bollinger must be played.

I like Marsh bu hes out of form.

I also can see Rogers and Hughes opening and Katich at 3. Good point.

And about making no changes, we are in a transitional stage, lets not sit back and watch some of these blokes lose us tests until they are grand fathers. If players are out of form completly and others have earnt a spot then they should be replaced. The selectors are very reactive and not proactive and very slow to react.

Beating NZ didn't count, they are just a state side quality team.

Ponting's not going anywhere- for at least another couple of years or so, so you can add him back into the squad for the Ashes! ;)

If Lee doesn't start taking wickets, he'll be gone- as much as that pains me- because I've been a big Binga fan over the years.

Hayden has until the end of this series to score something- or he's gone. Jaques if fit will come back in for him. He hasn't done anything wrong except for getting injured.

Symonds is a conundrum. He hasn't been bowling and really he's not a Test Quality number 6. I'd rather have a proper batsman in there to shore up our shaky top order at the moment.

This is what I think we'll see even for the return Saffies series if a couple of players don't aim up in the last two tests!

Katich
Jaques
Ponting
Hussey. M
Clarke
Hussey.D
Haddin
Johnson
Hauritz/Krezja
Siddle/Bollinger
Clark

Back