The Kaaaatttttttttt!!!!!

el-capitano

The Kaaaatttttttttt!!!!!

The Kat has ben making a bit of news recently.

Here's some of the latest......

Former captains back Katich Test quest

Simon Katich has used Matthew Hayden, Damien Martyn and Justin Langer as role models during his record-breaking campaign to regain a Test spot. Finishing the season as a Pura Cup-winning captain, Katich also set a record for the most runs in the competition, with his 86 and 92 in the decider pushing his tally to 1506 at 94.12.

Steve Waugh told Fox Sports Katich "should be playing for Australia".

"He is too good to be playing just domestically," Waugh said. "He is a class player and he gets runs in all situations, particularly when it's tough. The last couple of years have been very successful, they [Australia] have dominated teams. But now with a bit of a changing of the guard, I think they will need Simon Katich in the side at some stage."

Allan Border, a former selector, said Katich had responded well to being dropped from Australia's contract list last year. "He can do no more," Border said.

Re: The Kaaaatttttttttt!!!!!

Denial of war with Ponting

SIMON Katich is yet to be recalled to the Australian cricket team but already he has been forced to defend his relationship with skipper Ricky Ponting.

Katich said he was stunned by weekend reports he had clashed with Ponting in the past because of a feud between their respective wives, Georgie and Rianna.

"I can assure you my wife has never had an argument with Ricky's wife. I actually text Ricky on Sunday night to explain the situation from my point of view and that there were no dramas at my end.''

Harwood turns cup final into Kat-fight

Details have emerged of a heated exchange involving NSW skipper Simon Katich and Victorian fast bowler Shane Harwood at the MCG last December.

A witness said the incident threatened to turn violent when Harwood took exception to being given out for 17 after Katich caught him off Nathan Bracken's bowling. Harwood doubted whether the ball had carried and argued strongly with Katich at the end of the day's play.

"It was full-on," said a source who refused to be named.

"There was lots of shouting and swearing in the players' race and there was a view that had it gone on for any longer it could quite easily have ended up in a fight.

"Chests were puffed out, they were in each other's face yelling. The language would've made a nun blush.

"Katich is one of cricket's gentlemen and while he didn't start the stand-off, he certainly took exception to basically being called a 'f---ing cheat' and to having his integrity questioned by Harwood."

I hope he does get back into the test squad as he is one of our nicest players who was made to be a fall guy for some of the bigger names after the 2005 Ashes debacle.

Go Kat Go.

He had an awesome summer, broke the record for most Pura Cup runs but in the end there is no spot for the guy in the Australian middle order.

Maybe if Hayden moves on in the next season (highly doubtful IMO) he could be bumped up to opener but I feel his time has come and gone.

ONLY The Don is in the same category as Simon Katich when it comes to domestic batting records. This much was again confirmed last weekend when Katich struck a masterful 149 not out to lead Randwick-Petersham to victory over minor premiers St George in the qualifying finals of the Sydney grade competition.

The Blues skipper, having already compiled 1506 runs at an average of 94.12 to break the season run-scoring record in the Pura Cup/Sheffield Shield, has now tallied 569 runs at an average of 113.80 in grade cricket. If he scores 31 in this weekend's semi-final against Gordon, he will maintain an average of 100.

Don Bradman was the last player to post better averages in state and grade cricket in the same season, scoring 1051 runs at 116.77 for NSW, and 549 runs at 109.80 for St George, in 1929-30.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/cricket/...-with-greatness/2008/03/27/1206207304369.html

Really deserves his spot through pure weight of runs, sensible decision.

Backward step in my opinion. If Katich fails, he will cop a lot of criticism if he doesn't go well. I would have preferred to see a younger player in the team.

Ljp86;216207 said:
Backward step in my opinion. If Katich fails, he will cop a lot of criticism if he doesn't go well. I would have preferred to see a younger player in the team.

He's one of the nicest guys in Australian cricket- if anyone deserved another go, it was the Kat. If he fails again, so be it, but hopefully he will be given another chance to improve his stats. @|

el-capitano;216222 said:
He's one of the nicest guys in Australian cricket- if anyone deserved another go, it was the Kat. If he fails again, so be it, but hopefully he will be given another chance to improve his stats. @|

Nice guy isn't needed to be an elite sportsman. He needs the ability to compete at the highest level and if you recieve a cricket australia contract I expect them to be at the highest level for 2-3 years. For Katich I don't see that happening

Back