The Lounge 2

Not so. A La Niña event is underway in the tropical Pacific Ocean. Most people know La Niña can bring wetter and cooler conditions to much of eastern and northern Australia. What is less known is that La Nina can also cause severe marine heatwaves off the Western Australian coast, resulting in coral bleaching and affecting fisheries. (BOM)

Sorry, I should have clarified my post a bit more. What I meant was in reference to your El Nina comment, it's actually El Nino.

La Nina is the opposite which has what has effected the northern and eastern parts of Australia for the last two wet seasons.

Sorry, I should have clarified my post a bit more. What I meant was in reference to your El Nina comment, it's actually El Nino.

La Nina is the opposite which has what has effected the northern and eastern parts of Australia for the last two wet seasons.
Let us hope it is the bloody last one for a while as Brissie, Sydney and every place in between is waterlogged. BOM calling this a 100 year weather event. Not arguing. I call it akin to the great flood of Noah's time.

Last edited:
Let us hope it is the bloody last one for a while as Brissie, Sydney and every place in between is waterlogged. BOM calling this a 100year weather event. Not arguing. I call it similar to the great flood of Noah's time.

The long-term outlook is for more neutral conditions heading into the second half of autumn and winter so the rain should ease off. Too early to tell what the pattern will be like next summer.

The east coast has had an insane amount of rain, Brisbane's last three days of February were incredibly wet. Meanwhile we've barely had any rain here.

Code:
City      Dec 2021  Jan 2022  Feb 2022  Mar 2022    Total

Sydney       132.8     166.2     356.0     350.2   1005.2
Brisbane     139.2      62.2     887.0      86.6   1175.0
Perth          3.6       0.0       1.6       3.0      8.2

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys it's me Jessica, aka BettyBoo. I have my new phone now but was unable to login, I had to create a new account on my new phone. Hope that's ok. 🤗
Hi Newbie.. now tell us all about yourself :p
Seriously Jessica did you inform Chief you were already a member?

I shocked my swamp (pool) yesterday and in a matter of hours it went from a murky brown to something nearer a green, clear body of water again. Not quite pristine yet.. but working on it. Dreading the next downpour and having to do it all over again.

I shocked my swamp (pool) yesterday and in a matter of hours it went from a murky brown to something nearer a green, clear body of water again. Not quite pristine yet.. but working on it. Dreading the next downpour and having to do it all over again.
How did you "shock" it? Will you have to refill it completely with fresh water?

I went to the shops on Sunday and they are finally getting most things back in stock after the floods knocked out a number of sections of the railway in South Australia during January. For a number of weeks, deliveries here were sparse as the railway here was the main mode of transport for freight. They then had to resort to stacking an extra container on road trains (up from two to three) which is something they don't usually do but had no choice as not much was getting here in the way of supplies.

This resulted in stuff like pasta, soup, rice, potato chips, toilet paper, paper towels, tissues, yoghurt, cheese, eggs, some frozen foods such as chips and other things all being on low or no stock. Other things like cleaning products, toiletries and more items have had little or no stock as well. Some of the local shops have had things so I was able to stock up there for some items but thankfully everything seems to be mostly restocked now.

Had an inground pool when living in mildura. Loved it.
Things have changed now but we used toget the odd dead frog, duck poo, etc in there.
ph levels were controlled by a tablet and a little bit of the pool water.

I went to the shops on Sunday and they are finally getting most things back in stock after the floods knocked out a number of sections of the railway in South Australia during January. For a number of weeks, deliveries here were sparse as the railway here was the main mode of transport for freight. They then had to resort to stacking an extra container on road trains (up from two to three) which is something they don't usually do but had no choice as not much was getting here in the way of supplies.

This resulted in stuff like pasta, soup, rice, potato chips, toilet paper, paper towels, tissues, yoghurt, cheese, eggs, some frozen foods such as chips and other things all being on low or no stock. Other things like cleaning products, toiletries and more items have had little or no stock as well. Some of the local shops have had things so I was able to stock up there for some items but thankfully everything seems to be mostly restocked now.
You have to import foodstuffs from interstate. Dont you produce any over there.
The Feds have set aside billions to inject some life into our almost dormant manufacturing industry. So we can expect over the next decade to see a lot more Made In Australia, hopefully produced by an Aussie company too, on much of our produce..

You have to import foodstuffs from interstate. Dont you produce any over there.

A lot of stuff is produced here such as fresh produce and other items. There are also a number of others items for which businesses within Australia make items in the eastern states which means they need to freight them over there hence why there has been shortages in food. Shops such as IGA etc. have been fine though.

Ritchie said:
The Feds have set aside billions to inject some life into our almost dormant manufacturing industry. So we can expect over the next decade to see a lot more Made In Australia, hopefully produced by an Aussie company too, on much of our produce..

More stuff produced within the country would be good, less reliance on overseas. There is certainly an appetite for it given the issues with supply chains and other things due to the impacts of COVID-19.

Funnily it was the planet's worst pandemic for a century thatforced Australia to self manufacture when supply chains for imported goods almost dried up. Something had to be done re Covid PPE items to help those on the medical front lines. Feds asked Australian pioneer of CPAP sleep apnea machines RESMED to make hospital grade respirator units for our ICU Covid victims plus other medical items for hospital staff. They made hundreds of respirators and are now even exporting them as I understand it. Aussie global bio tech company CSL had earlier agreed to manufacture millions of AZ Covid vaccines in its Melbourne laboratory.

From tiny acorns large OAK trees grow. This is just the beginning of a resurgence of the Australian manufacturing industry.. that died in the 70/80s from free trade and cheap imports. How good would it be to go back to the 60s when Australia was self sufficient and made almost everything. I guess that is no longer practical in this day and age as it would likely hurt our extensive export industry. You cant have it both ways. But to reopen dormant industries may be a good way to go. Such as white goods, furniture, electrical appliances as well as new green projects using Australian made batteries. Dare we think big and take our former vehicle making factories out of mothballs and start manufacturing EV/Hydrogen Fuel Cell cars.

Last edited:
Apparently as from next week we'll run out of free range eggs here, I won't eat any other type so my colleague who has chickens will provide me with 6 free range eggs 😋

Back