The Lounge 2

I'll switch to Kayo one day as sport is all I watch on Foxtel these days.

Looks like a good start so far.

With this mob though they can collapse at short notice..

If it was able to attract better people to politics than a lot of the peanuts we have there now I'd be happy to pay pollies more. The private sector is far, far more financially rewarding for gifted people and leaders with any brains.

I agree, Kram81 Kram81 . I've always thought the same thing. While the salary is quite decent, it does involve a lot of travel and a lot of work. There are people who are paid far more in this country for other lines of work. Being a senior member of a government or even leading a country is of high importance given the decisions they need to make on a regular basis.

Given the state of things at the moment, it'd be hard to justify any sort of substantial increase to any politician's salary with how things are presently economy wise.

It's quite scary how many young to even middle aged people you see with all their savings in it, just insane.

Whilst I think it will go down as history's greatest scam if anyone can make money trading it I don't have anything against that. But for the love of god at least keep it to only a small % of your capital, an amount you can afford to lose just like anything highly speculative.

A lot of people are right into it, certainly dangerous to have so much capital invested in it given its volatility. The losses have been huge over the past few months and many would have lost a lot of money, particularly those who have heavily invested in it as you mentioned.

No issues with people wanting to make money but to invest so much into something is always very risky. Another just over 10% drop in past two weeks and a bit, lost almost 58% of its value this calendar year thus far.

I agree, Kram81 Kram81 . I've always thought the same thing. While the salary is quite decent, it does involve a lot of travel and a lot of work. There are people who are paid far more in this country for other lines of work. Being a senior member of a government or even leading a country is of high importance given the decisions they need to make on a regular basis.
For example got a family member that's in gold mining. Last job not even on the board but at senior management level so maybe within the 6-9th most important person at the company and I think they were on around $400k, maybe more with bonuses. Seems a bit silly that the bloke leading the team running the country doesn't get that much extra.

I'll switch to Kayo one day as sport is all I watch on Foxtel these days.

Looks like a good start so far.

With this mob though they can collapse at short notice..

I recommend it, Kram81 Kram81 . I've had a good experience with thus far and if you've got a decent internet connection then it should be fine.

For example got a family member that's in gold mining. Last job not even on the board but at senior management level so maybe within the 6-9th most important person at the company and I think they were on around $400k, maybe more with bonuses. Seems a bit silly that the bloke leading the team running the country doesn't get that much extra.

There's an incredible amount of money available in mining, particularly at a high level such as the example you've provided. There's many people working FIFO who earn north of $150k a year, sometimes close to or even more than $200k working in positions that are in lower management or not even in management at all (senior/general employee) which demonstrates how much these organisations are making and the salaries they can afford to pay.

I suppose that's what makes working for these companies so lucrative and why there are many people looking to work for them in a variety of positions given they pay well. That obviously makes something like being in government or parliament less attractive given the salaries they can command in the private sector, particularly in mining, oil and gas.

There's an incredible amount of money available in mining, particularly at a high level such as the example you've provided. There's many people working FIFO who earn north of $150k a year, sometimes close to or even more than $200k working in positions that are in lower management or not even in management at all (senior/general employee) which demonstrates how much these organisations are making and the salaries they can afford to pay.

I suppose that's what makes working for these companies so lucrative and why there are many people looking to work for them in a variety of positions given they pay well. That obviously makes something like being in government or parliament less attractive given the salaries they can command in the private sector, particularly in mining, oil and gas.
True especially atm when they are desperate (graduate geologists on $200k iirc) but FIFO I'd say would be waaay harder work for the money than what people would think. Very long hours away from home for weeks on end usually it hot, dry and dusty places in the middle of nowhere. Over the years I've known many people that have gone out once or twice and then just quit.

True especially atm when they are desperate (graduate geologists on $200k iirc) but FIFO I'd say would be waaay harder work for the money than what people would think. Very long hours away from home for weeks on end usually it hot, dry and dusty places in the middle of nowhere. Over the years I've known many people that have gone out once or twice and then just quit.
My brother is a Geologist. There is not a lot of work for them. Also you have to spend a lot of time away from family.

. Western nations are continuing to pay Russia hundreds of millions of dollars every day for gas and oil imports. Plus they are getting revenue from China and India from cut price energy sales.

This is worrying. So much for being told that severe sanctions on Russia would badly hurt its economy. Also read that hundreds of Big Mac stores in Russia are now being turned into a Russian fast food chain. When the stores were first opened thousands poured in to satisfy their fast food cravings. So why did Macs sell them the stores before pulling out. Kinda defeats the purpose of bringing heartache to the Russian people and creating in them a mood for revolution.
That would be Russia making them do this. Remember putin is a dictator. What he says goes. That's for everyone. There is no actual freedom in a dictatorship.
Even if you hate it you don't get to do anything you like to do.
So when there is a war everything goes up because of how greedy putin is being. Remember he wants war. So war happens. We're all paying for it.

There's a number of roles where places are looking for employees and happy to pay a lot of money in order to do so, the very high salary makes it attractive for a lot of people and ensures they can fill the position plus these organisations are making so much money that they can afford to splash the cash so to speak.

FIFO work is tough, it usually involves 10-12 hour days for at least a week if not longer before being able to get a break. Many used to work away for weeks at a time before getting a few weeks back at home but those sorts of swings are less prevalent now with organisations and employees wanting a longer break plus OSH concerns, etc. Some of the more popular swings are eight days on/six days off, one week on/off, two weeks on/off plus other variations.

There are many who do it but many others who will do it for a few months and then stop because it can be very tough, particularly if the swing at work is long and longer than the swing off.

We have Food Banks here, it's a charity that gives donated food out to those in need, I usually donate pasta, soup, and tins of tomatoes, but apparently my donations are not good enough as the Food Banks are telling us they want tins of meat, veg, potatoes, fruit, coffee, cereal, toiletries, the list is endless. I think anyone who genuinely needs to apply for free food should be grateful for what they get so I won't be donating anymore.

I recommend it, Kram81 Kram81 . I've had a good experience with thus far and if you've got a decent internet connection then it should be fine.
They wanted to put up basic + sport deal from $43 to $49 so I finally cancelled it. Literally the only non sport thing I look at now only occasionally is the business channel CNBC, it's just not worth it even with satellite's better reliability.

What the heck.. what's wrong with tinned tomatoes? I would honestly go through not far off a hundred of them a year haha, a staple for home made pasta sauces, casseroles, soups and breakfasts.

Tinned meat is disgusting..

They wanted to put up basic + sport deal from $43 to $49 so I finally cancelled it. Literally the only non sport thing I look at now only occasionally is the business channel CNBC, it's just not worth it even with satellite's better reliability.

Fair enough, $6 is a bit of a hike. If you're watching just sport only then it is hard to justify. Plenty of things seem to be increasing of late with inflation.

Are you going to sign for Kayo or undecided as yet?

What the heck.. what's wrong with tinned tomatoes? I would honestly go through not far off a hundred of them a year haha, a staple for home made pasta sauces, casseroles, soups and breakfasts.

Tinned meat is disgusting..
Here in the UK people are using Food Banks as a way of getting 3 days worth of free food, some are genuine but there's a lot taking advantage, the organisation running it wants food items that would put together a hot meal but like you say tinned tomatoes are a staple. One year there was a request for new pyjamas for kids for Christmas, that's just taking it too far. I donate to an animal charity instead now, they are more grateful.

Fair enough, $6 is a bit of a hike. If you're watching just sport only then it is hard to justify. Plenty of things seem to be increasing of late with inflation.

Are you going to sign for Kayo or undecided as yet?
Yeah this weekend, foxtel turns off tonight.

The only other advantage satellite had was 4k but even on the new oled it wasn't that much better, only a couple of games a week and I'd forget to switch to it half the time anyway.

Yeah this weekend, foxtel turns off tonight.

The only other advantage satellite had was 4k but even on the new oled it wasn't that much better, only a couple of games a week and I'd forget to switch to it half the time anyway.

Nice, let me know how Kayo goes and what you think of it. If you're a Telstra customer, you can get Kayo for $15 per month I believe for the first 12 months. After that it reverts to the standard price for whichever package you've signed up for.

I suppose Foxtel is okay value provided you're watching the sport but also other channels as well to make use of what you are paying for. There's a lot of variety these days with other streaming options so people are going elsewhere for their entertainment now there are much more options available.

I understand why Foxtel are increasing their prices but I would have thought they'd try and lower them a bit to make themselves more competitive when compared to other options out there.

I still often wonder what happened to signman, he just disappeared without warning, hope he's ok whatever happened.🤗

Nice, let me know how Kayo goes and what you think of it. If you're a Telstra customer, you can get Kayo for $15 per month I believe for the first 12 months. After that it reverts to the standard price for whichever package you've signed up for.

I suppose Foxtel is okay value provided you're watching the sport but also other channels as well to make use of what you are paying for. There's a lot of variety these days with other streaming options so people are going elsewhere for their entertainment now there are much more options available.

I understand why Foxtel are increasing their prices but I would have thought they'd try and lower them a bit to make themselves more competitive when compared to other options out there.
That was the 'negotiated' $43 that they wanted to up to $49 price I was getting as well, usually iirc it's about $70! Got calls from them the last couple of days I guess trying to offer something better but I didn't answer.

Signed up to Kayo when I got back today then, seems to work perfectly fine on the new LG TV and on the Chromecast. If it works like that all the time even when busy I'll be happy.

Back