The referral system

Re: The referral system

Just on 2 of your points

2. Actually whilst there is no set time limit, there is a rule about taking too long and an umpire can refuse a referall if they feel the team has taken too long or got outside help, something which the umpires in South Africa failed to use

3. Thats the biggest problem, why put 100% faith in a system that wont make a decision?

@ Gandalf.

I agree, I think with regards to the time allowed to make the decision that you just use common sense, TV stations should also not show replays until a decision is made to prevent dressing rooms sending signals.

You should allow consultation between the fielders and the bowler, then if it keeps going on the umpire can say 'right, what is your decision'.

The umpires on the whole make good decisions, sure, but it doesn't change the fact often they get decisions wrong, it only has to be one shocker.

I like the system the way it is at the moment just need to put a limit on the time allowed to make a referral.
But as long as i dont have to see batsman walking back to the sheds when a ball shoots off there helmet given caught im happy...

How do you enfore the issue with time?

I don't think you can put an open and shut time limit on it? Your not going to have an umpire counting down are you?

You need to allow the bowler and the captain, at the very least, to confer. That will take time.

I think the umpire should allow whatever time he deems necessary, and if it is dranging on then he simply demands an answer or assumes that a refferal is not being made.

The most important thing is to ensure that the dressing room does not recieve any replays before the decision is made and that no signals are being sent from the room.

For me that is the sensible thing, rather than having a 30 second time limit.

At the moment the umpire is allowed to refuse a review if he feels it takes too long or thinks they got outside help, doubt any umpires have the balls to do it though

Why isn't the referral system used in ODI's - Disgraceful umpiring robbed Australia.

Can anyone explain to me why the referral system isn't used in ODI's?

Any chance of it being used in the world cup?

The decision Punter Ponting copped in the 5th ODI was an absolute disgrace, lets not mince words, it was the worst decision I have seen for a long time.

Punter dropped his gloves, no where near the ball, ball glances his helmet and is given out.

Even the kiwi players were laughing.

Then Voges was given out to a fresh air swing?

Why isn't the referral system used in the ODI format?

Absolutely disgraceful.

Re: Why isn't the referral system used in ODI's - Disgraceful umpiring robbed Austral

Woah, this might just be the easiest thing to say as an Englishman but I sense some sour Aussie grapes because the Australians don't usually lose. ._.

Everyone else gets poor decisions because umpiring, on the whole, is quite unsatisfactory. I don't seem to remember you, LtD, getting on your high horse about how "disgraceful" the decision to give Broad out in South Africa with the volume on four was.

Re: Why isn't the referral system used in ODI's - Disgraceful umpiring robbed Austral

On yeah, great reply. Do you remember me whinging when the Australians copped a the short end during the Lords test match: No you don't - have you heard the Australian team mention it? No you haven't. Why? Because they were bad decisions, and at the end of the day most people have come to expect those. However, this wasn't a bad decision, it was a diabolical decision- an embarrassment to international cricket.

But because it happened to the big bad Australians everyone will laugh - so at the end of the day no progress will be paid with regards to improving umpiring - or more to the point, cutting out the crap umpires like this NZ geezer.

But this dismissal was something else.

Have you seen the Ponting dismissal? Because if you haven't then you will struggle to understand how truly inept it was. I don't know what instance your talking about with regards to Broad being given out, everytime I saw him bat during that series Broad would refer. Most of the time he was dead plumb.

I just hope we have the referral system for the ODI World Cup.

I'M NOT SOOKING ABOUT PONTING!

*sooks for several days across multiple threads*

Very simple answer, time, ODIs are alot more limited in their time than test matches

How does everyone reckon it's gone so far in the Ashes? So far it hasn't worked all that well for England :D

How does everyone reckon it's gone so far in the Ashes? So far it hasn't worked all that well for England :D

I actually think it is pretty even so far. Ponting seems to have done one this morning that was rather desperate and in all honesty a waste of a referral. But I think it is great that both the English and Australian boards have embraced it.. as I believe all nations should.

Absolutely terrible. Brought in for the simple reason to get rid of the 'shockers'. Hope everyone heard Warne's rant after Harris's decision in the first innings of the Adelaide Test, because that's pretty much exactly my opinion.

Was a sensational decision imo and it also did change a couple of absolute shockers like Michael Clarkes and Marcus Norths 2nd innings dismissal, how any umpire at any level could have given those 2 not out is impossible to understand

Anyway its interesting that 4 years ago England got screwed in Adelaide, now with the referall system they win, no coincidence there

"Anyway its interesting that 4 years ago England got screwed in Adelaide, now with the referall system they win, no coincidence there"

Oh i think there is a big difference there. 4 years ago England talked themselves out of it, last week they took the game off us. The referral system would not have helped England as it couldn't help us.

Still not liking it.

Hot Spot is the best of all the technology (other than the super slow motion cameras) but the definition and frame rate of those cameras are nowhere near enough. Plus the third umpire discounts faint spots as irregularities... which is the whole reason for its existence. The slow mo cameras pick up the bigger edges easily, it's the small ones that need to be found. A bit pointless in the end...

Also with Watson's decision when he was on 95. Watson challenged it because he thought he hit it. He didn't in the end, but if he did he still would have been out because they didn't even show the Hot Spot footage during the referral. Watson was close to refusing to walk because of it, it's plain stupid.

Plus it's not like challenges in tennis as it detracts from the moment. Everyone at home and in the crowd is celebrating the wicket and every time it is challenged it's sort of an anti-climax every time... just a long drawn out process.

Also the stupid law that the umpire can look for various ways of the batsman being out, even if the appeal wasn't for it.

There are two ways to fix it. The first is to give the umpires full control over it, the second is to allow only one unsuccessful challenge per innings. The way players are using them is pointless and annoying and shouldn't continue for the game's sake.

Nobody should be allowed to challenge a suspect catch in the field other than the umpire. The batsman should ask and then walk if the answer is yes. If the fielder is unsure, that is when the umpire reviews it.

Also, the set process needs to be changed for each dismissal to become that, a set process. At the moment every challenge is done in different orders and with different technologies and is all a bit haphazard.

Either get rid of it or use it properly. It is changing the course of Ashes history in the wrong way.

Absolutely terrible. Brought in for the simple reason to get rid of the 'shockers'. Hope everyone heard Warne's rant after Harris's decision in the first innings of the Adelaide Test, because that's pretty much exactly my opinion.

Was that the Strauss lbw that he didn't play a shot?

Back