The Serious Discussion Thread.

I know nobody other than the warmongers want another major world conflict but even the most optimistic will admit one looks a distinct possibility sometime in the next decade. This clip is a rundown of the military strengths of both a combined China/Russia and a Europe/ US alliance.

Pretty scary even without the 7K nukes both sides possess.
The western alliance has the firepower over China/Russia to win a sea war while the enemy forces may just have the edge in a land/air war.

Last edited:
That's really frightening stuff Richie - with so many power freaks running countries a nuclear war could happen at anytime... at least that madman Trump isn't the US president anymore.

Thomas the subs will be built in Adelaide, Australia. https://www.asc.com.au/ giving jobs to 2,800 local builders but the entire project is controlled by the French company that won the bid. Hell Australia built our last Collins class subs, 30 years ago and they have served our navy well. One of the biggest beefs about getting foreigners to do local work is you have no control over costs. The price in the six years since this project was announced has almost doubled and who knows how many if any subs.. have already been built.
We've been having similar problems in the EU. The costs of any joint armament project tend to become astronomical. The Eurofighter is a shining example. In the end it turned out that it can't carry US-nukes and will have to be replaced by F-18 jets at additional costs.

I know nobody other than the warmongers want another major world conflict but even the most optimistic will admit one looks a distinct possibility sometime in the next decade. This clip is a rundown of the military strengths of both a combined China/Russia and a Europe/ US alliance.

Pretty scary even without the 7K nukes both sides possess.
The western alliance has the firepower over China/Russia to win a sea war while the enemy forces may just have the edge in a land/air war.

I don't understand the scenario. China and Russia are not very likely to join forces and there's been increasing doubt about the US fulfilling their NATO obligations in Europe. Neither coalition is very realistic then.
During the cold war we were often shown such figures about the military capabilities of east and west but learnt that that relative balance of power has a deterrent function which ensured that nothing happened within 40 years.

The Eurofighter is a shining example. In the end it turned out that it can't carry US-nukes and will have to be replaced
You telling me that the German govt wants to purchase nuke capable planes? Nukes should be kept in their silos purely as deterrents.

I don't understand the scenario. China and Russia are not very likely to join forces and there's been increasing doubt about the US fulfilling their NATO obligations in Europe. Neither coalition is very realistic then.
During the cold war we were often shown such figures about the military capabilities of east and west but learnt that that relative balance of power has a deterrent function which ensured that nothing happened within 40 years.
Beg to differ. If push comes to shove you can lay bets the Yanks will not abandon NATO, while the Ruskies and the Commies are becoming more and more cosy as both follow similar ideaologies.. both are autocratic dictatorships. Beijing wants world domination while, Putin wants the old Soviet states back under Russian control.

That's really frightening stuff Richie - with so many power freaks running countries a nuclear war could happen at anytime... at least that madman Trump isn't the US president anymore.
Mal you sound like a prophet of doom? I see no one.. other that the nutty Nth Korean leader pushing the button. No way will any of the super powers. Nukes have always been used as a deterrent to nuclear war.. strange logic.. but that is a fact. I know I'd feel safer in my bed knowing the world had no nukes. My boy says the next major war will be conventional with added weapons like cyber interference to cripple a country's infrastructure. He says the conflics will start in Taiwan.. with China invading.. and in Ukraine with Russia invading there. It will be timed in order to split and weaken US forces.

Last edited:
Mal you sound like a prophet of doom? I see no one.. other that the nutty Nth Korean leader pushing the button. No way will any of the super powers.
Just saying it's a possibility - the Nth Korean leader isn't the only leader that's a power freak nutter... thankfully Trump has gone for the meantime, thought it was an absolute joke he wasn't impeached, because of the political system in the US he got away with it, be a nightmare if he gets back in.

Last edited:
You dont mean that you think Trump 'd push the nukes button. He was a little odd at times.. but not suicidal me thinks.
He was much more than a little odd at times... he's a sadist/moron who has an ego the size of Texas, while he was in office he didn't even think Covid was a threat.

He was much more than a little odd at times... he's a sadist/moron who has an ego the size of Texas, while he was in office he didn't even think Covid was a threat.
True mate. He and that Brazilian drongo Bolsinaro. Trump treated the role of President like an actor plays a role on stage.

True mate. He and that Brazilian drongo Bolsinaro. Trump treated the role of President like an actor plays a role on stage.
Perhaps more than that: He didn't play a role but, sadly, it was him himself, live and in person. Did you hear about the book his niece wrote about him?

An ingenious joint Australian Federal Police/FBI 'sting' is believed to have obliterated a sizeable portion of global organized crime.

A clever AFP tech guro is behind the massive and audacious three year operation.. titled Operation Ironside after he was able to hack into the ANOM criminal app and decipher millions of encrypted messages of plans for local and global mass drug importations, industrial scale money laundering, gun running and executions of informants.

Australian Mafia figures, members of South American drug cartels, Asian Triads and Middle Eastern and European criminal syndicates have been or will be arrested and charged. Overnite further raids were made in the US, UK and Europe.

This is bloody brilliant and will put a huge dent in silent crime globally.

Last edited:
Russian President Vladimir Putin and Chinese leader Xi Jinping oversaw an ambitious joint military exercise in China this summer, which along with reported collaborations in aviation, undersea and hypersonic-weapons technology point to a solidifying defense alignment, according to military analysts.

Were the West aware of this? Am I the only one that thinks under Pres.Trump the West became fractured with his America First policy. Now with the Chinese Commies and an autocratic Russia getting all pally the last thing the western powers need is disunity.
Comments.

Russian President Vladimir Putin and Chinese leader Xi Jinping oversaw an ambitious joint military exercise in China this summer, which along with reported collaborations in aviation, undersea and hypersonic-weapons technology point to a solidifying defense alignment, according to military analysts.

Were the West aware of this? Am I the only one that thinks under Pres.Trump the West became fractured with his America First policy. Now with the Chinese Commies and an autocratic Russia getting all pally the last thing the western powers need is disunity.
Comments.
Most of that stuff is considered misinformation.

The West is always aware of what the big players China and Russia are doing. Since their treaty on good neighbourly relations in 2001 it has been a relationship with ups and downs between the two, rather an alliance of convenience than a love match. What unites them is their distrust of the West, their rejection of western influence and the principle of mutual non-interference in internal affairs. Joint military exercises are part of that convergence. It's not a relationship of equals, though, because China is becoming the dominant partner. And there's also conflicts between the two, for instance, in the Arctic Zone as well as border conflicts and it remains to be seen whether those will lead to deeper tensions.
Trump's nationalism has never been helpful and is anachronistic. Under Biden Nato is not as divided as it used to be under Trump but Europe has to accept that the US are shifting their attention to the Pacific region and, thus, to China. If Russia becomes more active in the Ukraine again, this may be the touchstone for the transatlantic relations again.
The West will have to weigh up to what extent human rights should play a role in international relations and trade relations in particular. Not sending a delegation of officials to the Olympics is the wrong signal because it's a blunt sword.

Back