The Serious Discussion Thread.

Richie

Staff member
I have been watching with great interest the growing deterioration of the Australia/China relationship over recent months. The catalyst having been Australian PM Scott Morrison's call for a global inquiry into the origins of the Covid-19 pandemic. This has since led to a boycott of some Australian goods by the Communist powerhouse and our largest trading partner plus general bullying and intimidation. In recent weeks the situation has further deteriorated over tit for tat allegations of cyber hacking and interference in each others internal affairs by certain journalists and diplomats.

By calling for a Covid-19 inquiry Sco Mo did what other Free World leaders were thinking. Almost all were accusing China of starting the killer virus, which has killed almost one million of our world citizens, and calling it the Wuhan Virus after the Chinese city where it is believed to have first surfaced. The only people not accusing China were the Peoples Republic of China themselves. The Chinese have two distinct characteristics. One is inscrutability. The other is never seen to be losing face. So why is Beijing denying Covid's origins. Surely once it is found to have started in Wuhan they have lost face big time. Then there need not have been any reason to harass, intimidate and bully its trading partners and generally act like a petulant big brother. Comments.

Last edited:
This is something close to my heart as I look ahead for a cleaner future for my children's children and theirs. As we move well into the 21st century we humans have to start thinking about our future energy needs. What will run our industries, homes and transport over the coming decades and beyond. Comments.
Absolutely mate... everyone should be really focused on those things. 👍

Reckon the world is never going to be the same again because of this awful virus - in NZ we went 100 days without one single case, then all of a sudden Auckland had to go to level 3 & the rest of the country to level 2... the whole country is in level 2 at the moment, hopefully we can get back to level 1 again very soon.
Oz was travelling very well until those VICs stuffed up their quarantine and aged homes and elevated the national death toll from just over 100 to 730 in a blink of an eye. Yesterday they had their first non death day since July.

There tends to be a lot of selfish individual mongrels in every country... constantly amazes me that they don't give a stuff about putting other people at risk.

bumping:
This is something close to my heart as I look ahead for a cleaner future for my children's children and theirs. As we move well into the 21st century we humans have to start thinking about our future energy needs. What will run our industries, homes and transport over the coming decades and beyond. Comments.
I have given this topic its own thread.

China increases tariffs on Australian beef, milk powder.
Those commies have upped the trade ante by imposing further restriction on our exports by hurting Australian beef and dairy farmers. They really are an insidious regime and it is now time for the west to put a stop to them.

Those Commies are at it again.. trying to further erode Australia's economy with its latest export boycott.. our coal. There are also reports the CCP has ordered its spinning mills not to accept Australian cotton. When will this stop and why is something not being done about it. Are we in the Free World going to allow the CCP to run roughshod over us because we may have stood on its foot. Where is the United Nations and when will the World Trade Organisation step in and put a stop to what China is doing. It is moral blackmail.. pure and simple.

Most likely the latest CCP salvo against Australian exports stems from Australia taking part in a recent meeting of the QUAD group of nations.US, Japan, India and Australia. Ahead of the meeting, Beijing had slammed the grouping as "exclusive cliques."

What is The QUAD and what are its aims. The Quadrilateral Security Dialogue or QSD or QUAD is an informal strategic forum between the four member nations that is maintained by semi-regular summits, information exchanges and military drills. It was established in 2007 by the then leaders of the four member states but was dropped a year later. It was not revived until as recently as 2017 when President Donald Trump of the United States, Prime Minister Shinzo Abe of Japan, Prime Minister Narendra Modi of India and Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull decided something was needed to counter Beijing's territorial ambitions in the South China Sea. Tensions were raised during recent QUAD military drills in the Philippine Sea.

My question is why is Beijing signalling out only Australia to further hurt our already struggling economy due to the pandemic and punish hard working Australian farmers and miners. I dont hear of similar punishment to American, Japanese or Indian farmers or miners. Comments Mal and Jessica.

You have this so wrong.
Here you go again.
I have what so wrong? I am only reiterating what has already been written over the reason for Beijing's trade bans on our products.

Also you have to remember Australia is a "sovereign entity", and as such can actually reclaim land, eg farms and land owed by foreign investors such as China. "A sovereign entity can decide and administer its own laws, can determine the use of its land and can do pretty much as it pleases" Australia can take away China's land ownership in Australia, and prevent them from using our land to feed it's people, make them import. We can hurt China, do we have the gonads to do it.

This I was not aware of. You can bet Sco Mo has the gonads if those Commies push us too hard. He'd certainly have a majority of Australians behind him as well I am betting..

Question is If we have jumped on board and made money out of Lithium and we have so much Uranium, and the world is going nuclear energy, why don't we have nuclear power stations to generate electricity in Australia?

I agree with this.

Coal is dying, exports of coal will diminish every year.

Coal aint dying. An Indian businessman does not spend billions to build then mine an Australian coal mine if that is the case. India obviously wants coking coal to feed its steel and in turn feed its growing middle class.. Australia has coal. Lots of it. Did I read that we have two thirds of the world coal reserves. We also have the best quality iron ore that the world wants, specially the Chinese Commies.
Sco Mo wants to keep our economy ticking over by continuing to export these lucrative fossils, but cleaner ones thru carbon capture while introducing some renewables. Then gradually phasing out fossils for all renewables. This softly softly approach is the most sensible for our financial future. Not what the pinkos want, to introduce 100% renewables in one swipe.

Last edited:
Your looking at it from the point of view of a journalist who doesn't always supply all the information, just what sells. You have to see all the big picture, it's not like China has sprung on us out of nowhere, they been announcing all their plans, we just never properly prepared for this, or maybe we did and the journo hides that to make a more sensational story.

The dumbest thing China ever did was buy land in a sovereign nation. Even "land rights" are rights awarded by a sovereign entity to some of its members. In other words, you can obtain land rights, but the ultimate authority rests in the hands of the sovereign power. What you can do
with that land is limited by the decisions of the sovereign power. Land rights are just all appeasement, they ultimately mean little.

Australia can declare all lands owned by China property of the sovereign nation and ask them to remove themselves immediately from these lands, as long as they offer some repatriation maybe $1 per acre, or maybe $0.50 it's up to the government. They can do it whenever they want and there is no course of appeal.

What would China do though in retaliation? declare war on Australia? Not with Trump in charge of USA, he would be patting Sco Mo on the back as a brilliant business move against his enemy China and we would have the backing of the USA. With Obama or Biden or Kamala Harris, they would be trying to say you can't do that, please reconsider otherwise you're on your own. Difference between strong, slightly crazy leaders, (scary when you consider he has 6000 nuclear war heads compared to China's 300), and weak leaders.

Last edited:

Coal aint dying. An Indian businessman does not spend billions to build then mine an Australian coal mine if that is the case. India obviously wants coking coal to feed its steel and in turn feed its growing middle class.. Australia has coal. Lots of it. Did I read that we have two thirds of the world coal reserves. We also have the best quality iron ore that the world wants, specially the Chinese Commies.
Sco Mo wants to keep our economy ticking over by continuing to export these lucrative fossils, but cleaner ones thru carbon capture while introducing some renewables. Then gradually phasing out fossils for all renewables. This softly softly approach is the most sensible for our financial future. Not what the pinkos want, to introduce 100% renewables in one swipe.

India is currently the great unknown with regards to future for coal, if your right then the loss of coal export to China is nothing but a storm in a tea cup we'll just pass excess on to India. But then again 7 years ago there was hope with Turkey, who were becoming the India of Europe, but nothing eventuated there, actually another place that doesn't like Australian for some unknow reason, something to do with Muslims I think.

USA has the biggest coal reserve then Russia.

China will always grab what they need as you said quality iron ore, we'll just have to mark the price up on it.

Totally agree with you on everything else we have to have something to sell for an economy, take away mining what have we got?

Here you go again.
I have what so wrong? I am only reiterating what has already been written over the reason for Beijing's trade bans on our products.

Also you have to remember Australia is a "sovereign entity", and as such can actually reclaim land, eg farms and land owed by foreign investors such as China. "A sovereign entity can decide and administer its own laws, can determine the use of its land and can do pretty much as it pleases" Australia can take away China's land ownership in Australia, and prevent them from using our land to feed it's people, make them import. We can hurt China, do we have the gonads to do it.

This I was not aware of. You can bet Sco Mo has the gonads if those Commies push us too hard. He'd certainly have a majority of Australians behind him as well I am betting..

Question is If we have jumped on board and made money out of Lithium and we have so much Uranium, and the world is going nuclear energy, why don't we have nuclear power stations to generate electricity in Australia?

I agree with this.

Coal is being phased out because it's actually bad for renewable energy.
If you wanted to use coal the amount of smog that spews out and causes health concerns with your family.

Last edited by a moderator:
Coal is being phased out because it's actually bad for renewable energy.
If you wanted to use coal the amount of smog that spews out and causes health concerns with your family.
Australia is phasing it out but the world still uses it so why not continue to mine it and export it to those that need it. Coal can be made cleaner and less polluting to the air by using the carbon capture process. So let those we sell it to foot the expense if they want a cleaner product.

Last edited by a moderator:
Australia is phasing it out but the world still uses it so why not continue to mine it and export it to those that need it. Coal can be made cleaner and less polluting to the air by using the carbon capture process. So let those we sell it to foot the expense if they want a cleaner product.

Coal causes smog

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is happening at the present in occupied Palestine is a disgrace. I dont profess to know the full history of Israel or Palestine.. tho I do know that the latter was once controlled by Britain before the State of Israel was set up to give a home to surviving Jewish Europeans after WW2. I do know that having a Jewish state smack bang among Muslim nations was a sore point and bore several wars all of which were won by Israel. Was the war in 1967 when the nation of Palestine ceased to exist and Israel swallowed it up and has occupied it to this day even tho the international community classes it as illegal and that some nations condemn one nation occupying another.

I say no one nation has the moral right to occupy another with impunity. The Palestinian people must be given a homeland where they can be safe!!!

Comments please Mal and Thomas.

Last edited:
This is a disgrace. Australia should be building our own subs. Comments please Mal and Thomas.
It shows how dependent Oz is on getting the subs built by France because otherwise such a deal wouldn't be possible. Sadly, the same might happen in my country as well. Armaments procurement is extremely unpopular and what can be hidden will be. Legacy of the movement of 1968.

What is happening at the present in occupied Palestine is a disgrace. I dont profess to know the full history of Israel or Palestine.. tho I do know that the latter was once controlled by Britain before the State of Israel was set up to give a home to surviving Jewish Europeans after WW2. I do know that having a Jewish state smack bang among Muslim nations was a sore point and bore several wars all of which were won by Israel. It is then that Palestine became no more as Israel swallowed it up and has occupied it to this day even tho the international community classes it as illegal and that some nations condemn one nation occupying another.

I say no one nation has the moral right to occupy another with impunity. The Palestinian people must be given a homeland where they can be safe!!!

Comments please Mal and Thomas.
I agree. The two-state-solution is the only workable one. Yet the moral legacy of the past is still so overbearing that a lot of lip service is paid where action and firm decisions are needed. Here in Germany this is an extremely sensitive issue and any criticism of Israel has to be packaged very nicely and is, in fact, hardly possible.

I agree. The two-state-solution is the only workable one. Yet the moral legacy of the past is still so overbearing that a lot of lip service is paid where action and firm decisions are needed. Here in Germany this is an extremely sensitive issue and any criticism of Israel has to be packaged very nicely and is, in fact, hardly possible.
Yes I can understand the German view when it comes to the Jews.. a very sensitive subject indeed. A two state solution yes.. but where? Gaza has proven that having a Palestinian enclave in Israel does not work. There is an an uneasy cold war type situation already between Israel and its surrounding Arab neibors over the Jewish state's continued occupation and repression of a fellow Arab people..

It shows how dependent Oz is on getting the subs built by France because otherwise such a deal wouldn't be possible. Sadly, the same might happen in my country as well. Armaments procurement is extremely unpopular and what can be hidden will be. Legacy of the movement of 1968.
Thomas the subs will be built in Adelaide, Australia. https://www.asc.com.au/ giving jobs to 2,800 local builders but the entire project is controlled by the French company that won the bid. Hell Australia built our last Collins class subs, 30 years ago and they have served our navy well. One of the biggest beefs about getting foreigners to do local work is you have no control over costs. The price in the six years since this project was announced has almost doubled and who knows how many if any subs.. have already been built.

Last edited:
Back