thommo"s spray

thommo"s spray

im sure you"ve all heard what he said about ponting, i dont entirely disagree with him but i cant work out why he would say it, on paper ponting is one of the most successfully captains in history, im struggling to work out what thommos trying to achieve to be honest, he has made himself an enemy of the Australian cricket team now and for what gain ?? maybe he wants some interview money with the English media, thats the only thing i can think of as a reason, he isn't important enough to get interview dollars as a person, but if he starts bagging the Aussie captain and being controversial the offers will start coming in, the english media would love nothing better than a former Australian great bagging the current Aussie captain and team, thommo, your a loser.

Re: thommo"s spray

He's only saying what a lot of Aussies think. I even covered it in my blog on here- although guys like Thommo obviously need their five minutes of fame bumped up by some grabs on the news! ;)

lets face it, the only way he could make a headline was to be controversial, it wouldnt suprise me to learn he has a new book coming out and he wants some publicity, any publicity.

These old fart's have no life, and nothing better to do in their spare time then bagg us. Maybe they should get of their bums and get a job

el-capitano;355035 said:
He's only saying what a lot of Aussies think. I even covered it in my blog on here- although guys like Thommo obviously need their five minutes of fame bumped up by some grabs on the news! ;)

We all know how reactive Ponting is as a captain and that on-field, players like Warne were much more aggressive, creative and proactive. Most other captains make a plan for each batsman and continue to trust that plan at all times...whereas Ponting does panic a little too much, especially after so long as a captain. It seems like his tactical knowledge on the field hasnt improved since his 1st year as captain which is sad because with the talent in our squad and fringe players we should be performing much better.

Grinners89;355294 said:
We all know how reactive Ponting is as a captain and that on-field, players like Warne were much more aggressive, creative and proactive. Most other captains make a plan for each batsman and continue to trust that plan at all times...whereas Ponting does panic a little too much, especially after so long as a captain. It seems like his tactical knowledge on the field hasnt improved since his 1st year as captain which is sad because with the talent in our squad and fringe players we should be performing much better.

i dont think pontings a ****** as a captain, you must remember great players make great captains (ponting isnt a great captain) partly because he"s tasmanian and partly because he doesnt have great players around him, when pidgeon and warne were playing steve waugh could set 7/2 fields all day long, ponting doesnt have that luxery because he doesnt have the bowlers, 2 things stand out for me as ponting as a captain, no 1, not MAKING katich bowl in Australia against SA, and not being attacking enough with his slips in the last 2 SA tests, but he can learn from that, no one can say his batting has suffered because of the captaincy, so for me he"s our man.

Thommo is quickly falling into the Neil Harvey basket. The bloke that reporters run to every time they want a controversial comment to fill their papers. He doesn't often provide insightful commentary on the game and is always taking a pot a someone, as a result i tend to ignore anything he has to say.

He's got a massive ego and totally lost me when he claimed Brett Lee & Akhtar weren't quick...sure he may have been quicker but for anyone to not put those 2 in the 'quick' catergory shows the complete idiocy of the bloke.

Thommo does a bit of work on the speaking circuit doesn't he? You know, if your having a function you might want to get a "sporting star" to speak at your dinner? You pay the bucks and the person catchs the plane out to your town and speaks at the dinner, gets a free feed and some grog and leaves with a nice little check. Apparently there is good money to do it. Lots of ex players do it.

I kind of feel sorry for Ponting to be honest. Everyone is alway saying what a great captain Steve Waugh was but then on the same hand they say that Ponting's good win/loss ratio is due to the great bowlers he had. But then Steve Waugh had the same bowlers and more at his disposal.

Ponting has done a lot of good things as captain - after we lost the Ashes in 2005 we went on a winning streak that matched our record of 16 matchs - spread over 2 years.

He won in Sri Lanka without McGrath in 04, Won in SA without McGrath in 06, Won the Ashes 5-0, Won 2 WC's - just before both he lost his best bowler in Warne and Lee in 03 and 07 respectively. His use of Shaun Tait in that 07 WC was a perfect example of using a express bowler as a strike weapon. Remember before that comp Tait was still basically a rookie in terms of International experience and he went on to be one of the bowlers of the comp.

I can keep going as well. Look at all the players Ponting has lost during his reign.

His made some blunders sure, but being a captain for 6 years is going to mean that during that time your going to make mistakes.

Im not his biggest fan - but thats more due to his personality then any cricketing ability.

As with all of these things, we won't realise how good a captain his been, both on and off the field, until his retired, whenever that may be.

Dishing out crap to him is pathetic IMO while players like Clarke continually get out to soft dismissals. Have a look at how out of form Johnson is, what can Ponting do if Johnson is spraying them everywhere - he can't do stuff all and expecting him is unrealistic.

exactly. good post LtD. look over pontings career and the things that he has done. there is more good then bad. any captain can be pulled apart and bad things made out about them. being on the field is different to on the field. maybe your strike bowler has a little soreness in one leg and cant bowl effectively or want to bowl, so he doesnt bowl him. then the captain gets bagged after then game because they lost without the strike bowler, but if he says he was 'sore' it sounds like an excuse so they grin and bear it. ponting is a great public speaker too and very patriotic. i like him as a captain.

as for thommos comments, i think he was probably joking around. when my dad was younger he used to live nextdoor to thommo (just before and at the start of his international career) in morayfield, north of brisbane, and they used to have a beer together every now and then and apparently he loves to goose around. hed have a go at the queen just for attention, the laughs and the threads like this.

I guess my main fear is that if we lose the Ashes, then Ponting may be ran out of the team by the Australian media and public. You just hope he doesn't have his love of the game kicked out of him. Because we are no where near being ready for Ponting to leave this team.

I still think we are more then capable of winning this series, and with Ponting in charge im confident. His not in the same class tactically as Taylor, I. Chappell or Benaud but he makes up for that in his drive and determination.

If we are going to get back into this series we are going to need a lot of the latter.

For what it's worth, the jeering he copped at Lords, the home of cricket, was an absolute disgrace. As far as im concerned, no holds are barred when England come out next year to Australia - hopefully they are ment with both barrells.

I'd be interested to know what people's thoughts are on Ponting's captaincy after England had the stuffing knocked out of them at Headingley, and with the Aussies now in a position to win the series 2-1.

On-field tactics aside, the drive that the individual players demonstrated on the final day at Edgbaston and for the 2.5 days at Headingley was outstanding as was surely an outcome of Ponting's leadership.

Thommo is a second-rate commentator and is hardly an authority on cricket captaincy. He is a fairly inarticulate fellow and struggled to justify his claims about Ponting's captaincy performance.

Ponting's win/loss ratio is one of the key measures of success that Thommo failed to mention as well...

Ponting's captaincy had little to do with the Headingley win- the bowler's did their job in the first innings, and the start of the second innings.

The last morning showed how little captaincy nous Ponting has. When Broad & co. were going tonky tonk, his consistant bowling of Clark and the other quicks was just silly, and he should've at least tried one of the part time spinners in Katich or Clarke, during that period to change things up.

His win loss ratio which you mention is more due to the cattle he had during his first 3 years of captaincy then a reflection of his captaincy abilities! ;)

One of the best batsman I've seen- just an ordinary captain.

Back