Tim Paine

Re: Tim Paine

Haddin should be in the side to keep wicket first especially in the Test side, not saying he should be dropped or anything but he needs to do a good job with the gloves. The batting should only be a bonus IMO, a dropped catch of a good player can quickly evaporate any extra runs he makes.

How many catches did he drop in the Ashes? I can remember him dropping one jumping in front of slip, how many catchs did he take? 15+

I just think that people who want to improve the team are looking up the wrong tree if they think Haddin isn't up to the job.

The real issue surrounds our middle order batting, and is some aspects, our bowling attack. I have no doubt that we have a group of bowlers who are up to the job, but is Hilfenhaus part of our best attack away from the swing friendly conditions of England?

Im not sure about that as yet, and I hope we find out before the next ashes series.

Anyone who thinks Pakistan will be a walkover this summer better have a rethink. This team has some real talent in the bowling and batting.

Really looking forward to them coming over here, the 2 teams always play in the right spirit. Not sure why everyone is so down on the summer fixtures, Pakistan will offer some great competition and flair.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;367777 said:
How many catches did he drop in the Ashes? I can remember him dropping one jumping in front of slip, how many catchs did he take? 15+

He's been decent with the gloves so far I was just saying he needs to keep it up regardless of his batting with better keepers around in Australia.

remember gilchrist wasnt the best keeper, especially at the start of his career and in the wake of the legendary healy. but look where that got him. the best australian keeper ever.

haddins good enough by far.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;367782 said:
Name some of these better keepers? The guys get picked on their keeping and batting ability? Not just one or the other.

Manou, Paine, Hartley?

Haddin should definitely be first choice, he is an explosive batsman and adds plenty to our side in all forms of the game.
I'd love to see Paine and Haddin in the ODI's but that won't happen. Paine has shown some good things behind the stumps and with the ball, however he has a while to go to be labelled Australia's first choice keeper. His keeping is very good however he made an error against Pakistan which was laughable and he scores a bit too slowly. A strike rate of 68% in his one day domestic career is far too slow at the top of the order and his ODI strike rate has only been around 73%. I'd prefer Haddin.
Paine will enjoy the taste of ODI cricket and become a more determined cricketer at Tasmania, he just needs consistency.

i have loved watching paine keep in the champions trophy so far, he is a brilliant keeper.

but there is no way he can oust haddin, who isnt as good with the gloves, but twice as good with the bat.

Look forward to seeing him in the Tests, but he hasn't had the best of runs lately with the gloves or the bat.

Wade is making a very big case to be next in line, as is Hartley. Wade has age on his side a lot more though.

I think Paine has to be very careful not to do anything wrong here. Even if he is mediocre for the two Tests he will be fine, but I've turned off him a bit lately.

I thought he was excellent at Lords and pretty good at Headingley. He has taken a lot of catches, hasn't dropped any and completed a fine stumping.

He looked more comfortable than anyone else against swing but seemed to have brain fades (will all our wickies have this problem) and got out in the last test in both innings to really quite rank shots.

Kram81;404052 said:
Would preffer him in the side over Haddin.

me too

Haddin is great when conditions suit but I think Paine will be a more valuable Test cricketer in the middle order as he can play conditions and the situation. He strikes me as a lot more intelligent than Haddin.

Paine made 60 not out for Australia A against South Africa.

He has been forgotten about recently due to his injuries and the whole Wade vs Haddin saga. Good to hear that he is making runs again.

Wade's keeping up at the stumps with the spin bowlers is pretty ordinary, something he needs to work on.

Back