Top 5 test pace bowlers at the moment?

Re: Top 5 test pace bowlers at the moment?

According to me, these are the top 5 test pacers (mostly based on current form and their consistency)

1.Steyn
2.Johnson
3.Khan (fast bowling on India pitches is a nightmare, but this guy has always been consistent and troubled batsmen with his reverse swing and line and length)
4.Sharma (a rising star and a great partner for Khan)
5.Flintoff (when in full charge he can be devastating for any batting lineup. But his problem over the years have been controversies and injuries.) or Nitni.

I don't rate Johnson either... i know looking at current stats he is good but he does get a lot of his wickets with poor balls i.e the McKenzie wicket was a short and shit ball an out of form batsmen top edged..... I've not watched him bowl a devastatingly good spell, which is what i like to see in a bowler rather then a few lucky ones, whereas zaheer Kahn against England got his wickets after bowling a number of great balls that beat the bat then get his wicket as if he had a clue how to bowl to a plan..... whereas imo johnson just runs in and tries to be rapid.

grapedo;303655 said:
I don't care whether Johnson takes 20 wickets in a test I don't rate him.

Alot of wickets are half volleys that are angled across the right hander and an edge to the slips.

As soon as teams work out his bowling style he is gooooone ! but until then you just enjoy him taking wickets off half volleys.

Makhaya "I am going to bowl across you from wide of the crease and you will edge it to slip" Ntini has been a one trick pony for 10 years and look how many wickets he's taken. Sometimes knowing where the ball is going to be doesn't make it any easier to play

grapedo;303655 said:
Alot of wickets are half volleys that are angled across the right hander and an edge to the slips.

As soon as teams work out his bowling style he is gooooone ! but until then you just enjoy him taking wickets off half volleys.

cricinfo said:
Johnson to Kallis, OUT, again full and wide and this time the angle pays off because Kallis chases it with an expansive drive and edges straight to Hayden at first slip

JH Kallis c Hayden b Johnson 37 (62m 55b 6x4 0x6) SR: 67.27

smooth

a for effort;304257 said:
Makhaya "I am going to bowl across you from wide of the crease and you will edge it to slip" Ntini has been a one trick pony for 10 years and look how many wickets he's taken. Sometimes knowing where the ball is going to be doesn't make it any easier to play

Yes but If Makhaya Ntini was going to run in and at his angle and bowl half volleys do you think he would pick up wickets ? I certainly don't unless you count crowd catches as wickets.

Ntini is difficult to play because of his crease width and the angle of which he releases the ball and pitches it on or around off and seams it away for the right hander.

Johnsin runs in and bowls a shit half volley that is edged to the slips and in a few years time this won't cut it at test level.

grapedo;304773 said:
Yes but If Makhaya Ntini was going to run in and at his angle and bowl half volleys do you think he would pick up wickets ? I certainly don't unless you count crowd catches as wickets.

Ntini is difficult to play because of his crease width and the angle of which he releases the ball and pitches it on or around off and seams it away for the right hander.

Johnsin runs in and bowls a shit half volley that is edged to the slips and in a few years time this won't cut it at test level.[/QUOTE
Don't they say that shit gets wickets. Think your harsh on him, he actually bowls a lot of jaffas. In a few years time he might be an all rounder.

Buddy23#;304777 said:
grapedo;304773 said:

Johnsin runs in and bowls a shit half volley that is edged to the slips and in a few years time this won't cut it at test level.[/QUOTE
Don't they say that shit gets wickets. Think your harsh on him, he actually bowls a lot of jaffas. In a few years time he might be an all rounder.

Mate in a few years he might not be in the australian side.

I think you're being incredibly harsh on Johnson. His First Class record proves that it's not just fluke that's getting him wickets atm. He's out and out fast, and he doesn't just bowl short spells of proper fast bowling either, he's consistently fast throughout a days play. He's a strike bowler, and a very good one. Sure he gets a few flukey wickets, but all the best bowlers in the world do. I'm sure he'd much rather be picking wickets up from half volleys than be in the situation Stuart Broad in. Broad's got a heck of alot of talent, but just can't seem to pick up wickets in Test matches.

Johnson will be around for a long time yet, and I can see him finishing the 2009 Ashes as the leading wicket taker. I slagged him off for a long time before his tour of India, where he was one of Australia's few good players. There's just something about him I like, he'll be around for a long time to come. An attack of Siddle, Johnson, Lee, Hilfenhaus/Hauritz is one that could definitely strike fear into the opposition, it may not be up there with McGrath, Gillespie, Kasprowicz and Warne, but they've all got talent.

Johnson's easily one of the top 5 quicks atm, his ODi record alone secures him a place.

grapedo;304782 said:
Mate in a few years he might not be in the australian side.
Poppycock.

His is the 2nd leading wicket taker for 2008.

Your dislike for MJ is clouding your judgment.

Will be in the Australian side for many years to come.

Biggie;304854 said:
Poppycock.

His is the 2nd leading wicket taker for 2008.

Your dislike for MJ is clouding your judgment.

Will be in the Australian side for many years to come.

Agree,think this list shows that there aren't great bowlers going around.
There all good bowlers' not great yet. If Shane Bond was still playing international cricket, and fit he'd be number one,have a look at his stats,gun.

King Pietersen;304792 said:
I think you're being incredibly harsh on Johnson. His First Class record proves that it's not just fluke that's getting him wickets atm. He's out and out fast, and he doesn't just bowl short spells of proper fast bowling either, he's consistently fast throughout a days play. He's a strike bowler, and a very good one. Sure he gets a few flukey wickets, but all the best bowlers in the world do. I'm sure he'd much rather be picking wickets up from half volleys than be in the situation Stuart Broad in. Broad's got a heck of alot of talent, but just can't seem to pick up wickets in Test matches.

Johnson will be around for a long time yet, and I can see him finishing the 2009 Ashes as the leading wicket taker. I slagged him off for a long time before his tour of India, where he was one of Australia's few good players. There's just something about him I like, he'll be around for a long time to come. An attack of Siddle, Johnson, Lee, Hilfenhaus/Hauritz is one that could definitely strike fear into the opposition, it may not be up there with McGrath, Gillespie, Kasprowicz and Warne, but they've all got talent.

Johnson's easily one of the top 5 quicks atm, his ODi record alone secures him a place.

Okay well we will see what tune evryone is singing when teams workout how to hit him around.

zimbando;304308 said:
Dale Steyn
Mitchell Johnson
Ishant Sharma
Fidel Edwards
Iain O'Brien

Think that any list with Iain O'Brein in it shows that maybe the fast bowling
stocks are getting low.:D

grapedo;304893 said:
Okay well we will see what tune evryone is singing when teams workout how to hit him around.

You seem to think there's some kind of magic 'hit Mitchell Johnson around with ease' method. If there was such a thing, it would have been discovered after a few tests, not after a whole year of consistent wicket taking.

a for effort;304903 said:
You seem to think there's some kind of magic 'hit Mitchell Johnson around with ease' method. If there was such a thing, it would have been discovered after a few tests, not after a whole year of consistent wicket taking.

Well Brett Lee didn't have a bad start to his career.

But after a fey years sides worked him out and he ended up running the drinks for 12 months.

I think we will find a simliar situatin with Johnson.

grapedo;304906 said:
Well Brett Lee didn't have a bad start to his career.

But after a fey years sides worked him out and he ended up running the drinks for 12 months.

I think we will find a simliar situatin with Johnson.
We had a team flying and in form,Johnston's got no such issue's

I also don't know why you think his first class record is so good.

He has taken 155 wickets at 29.47.

Oh and BTW if a team is in form and a bowler is bowling poorly it isn't going to make a difference he will get dropped.

Lee was coming back from injury,we had Mcgrath,Gilliespie and Kasper who were not putting a foot wrong. Also most of the pitches in Australia this year have given sweet fa to the bowlers. Cant wait to see Mitchell on a English green top with nice overcast skies, he will go nicely.

Buddy23#;304925 said:
Lee was coming back from injury,we had Mcgrath,Gilliespie and Kasper who were not putting a foot wrong. Also most of the pitches in Australia this year have given sweet fa to the bowlers. Cant wait to see Mitchell on a English green top with nice overcast skies, he will go nicely.

Or a Sth African deck which offers a little for the seamers, although maybe Sth Africa might have "worked him out" by then, hey grapedo :eek:

Back