Twenty20 Big Bash - 2009/10

Re: Twenty20 Big Bash - 2009/10

As Eddie says, I don't think anything Hodge has said has been that abusive, spiteful or even wrong. He's made a wisecrack, and it can be taken differently. If it's more down to the way he comes across, then I guess he has to live with that. He is a brilliant batsman who like anyone wanted to play at the highest level, not be a candidate for Mr.Charisma.

You probably don't get to see/hear him speak very often living in other parts, as even in Victoria he barely gets enough exposure. He is much talked about, but we don't hear much from him despite what you might think.

Hodge does strike me as being one who prefers to prepare and maybe reflect on his own rather than be an open book. I can't see much to indicate he is dislikeable. Still, teammates to be might want a more sociable type.

So I concur with some of your comments, Boris, in that the guys who fit in well get given much more time than those who are loathsome or distant. I've mentioned this previously. It was a prominent feature of the Steve Waugh-led teams. Stuey MacGill drank wine and was perhaps more cynical than his teammates, so on the outer he sat, than perhaps he could have. If you weren't one of the boys, demonstrably celebrating eachother's successes, you made it harder for yourself. Bevan, Elliott, ... there were a few.

By the way, I like the way he plays. Should be more of that attitude around. Who cares if the bloke likes a beer? There's worse things he could have been doing. Clarke may have changed his tune there.

It isn't necessarily a bad thing that 'the captains friends' get selected. If the whole team are friends, then obviously they will work together as a team and win more. Australia have won without Hodge, and will continue to win without Hodge.

I like judging people by what they do on the field and with things directly related to cricket. Like Warne, perhaps not the nicest bloke ever, I don't care if he was cheating on his wife and his mistress, but he behaved well on the field (in general) behaved well during interviews and outside activities that related to cricket (anything else wouldn't sway my opinion of him as it has nothing to do with cricket) and his performances speak for themself.

The only time a personal life worries me is when it crosses over into cricket. Depends on the player though, I still like Symonds despite his personal life destroying his cricket career, but he was a much larger figure in the team than most would think.

Brad Hodge is yesterday's news, had his chance back in 2005 and probably didn't take his chances to the best of his ability. Was discarded apart from the odd cameo in the test team when players were injured.

Decent player sure, but time to move on I feel.

Well he's not yesterday's news in the context of this thread. Quite the man of the moment, really. No, hang on, literally he is yesterday's news - or more so last Friday's - but that is being pedantic.

All the same, we may have digressed a little.

Sober Symonds;385188 said:
By the way, I like the way he plays. Should be more of that attitude around. Who cares if the bloke likes a beer? There's worse things he could have been doing. Clarke may have changed his tune there.

- Sorry for the confusion. I was referring to Andrew Symonds in this bit.

What did you guys make of his Big Bash contributions? How about the batting collapse last night, or the missed chances?

Symonds' performance unfortunately was woeful. Which is what happens when the only cricket you play during the year is IPL, and then you can only stay in the middle for a couple of balls everytime before you have to either play or get out, no time to get your eye in and get in form. If he is going to become the successful free lancer I hope he does, he needs to really get some games under his belt. He should come back and play for Queensland full time and allow himself the opportunity to get into form. His bowling wasn't too bad though, and his fielding is still the best in the world.

Here's an idea:

Symonds should be 12th man for every single game of Australia's regardless of form. He then comes on to field (may be a problem in Tests with players needing a reason) and then goes home during the batting innings. That way we can get some very good use from him without him technically being in the team.

This thread is getting derailed, it's supposed to be about the Big Bash 20/20 comp. Can one of the mods shift the Brad Hodge/Victoria v the rest of Australia/the world stuff to a new thread?

:p

Kram81;385230 said:
This thread is getting derailed, it's supposed to be about the Big Bash 20/20 comp. Can one of the mods shift the Brad Hodge/Victoria v the rest of Australia/the world stuff to a new thread?

:p

That's a good idea.

In fact I think we could probably have a thread called 'miscellaneous' where all our random off topic posts get moved whenever we go off topic :D

Anyway, when is the final being played?

South Australia to choke in the batting, but Tait to get 4 wickets and keep them surpressed enough for a win.

You didn't go into any other aspects of that game, Boris. What about Hopes? I know you're a big fan. I quite like him too. Batting through the innings for 44 though ...

Rimmington's fingers? Simpson? Dunk, Hussey, ...?

Hodge and Huss are the keys for the Vics with a lot of talent out in White, Siddle, McKay, Taylor and probably Bravo. The Vics are underdogs but quite capable of winning. Tait is the key for Victoria.

Yeah, it's tough when so many guns are out, but you can't do much about it. Surely the sheduling could be better. I read last week the Aus selectors had been kind to the competing teams by not selecting blokes they don't need (does that mean anyone from SA?:D). If McKay & Siddle both get a guernsey I'd be very surprised. What's Taylor supposed to have on?

One would hope they get an uninterrupted run at the IPL Champ's Trophy when it comes around.

Sober Symonds;385291 said:
You didn't go into any other aspects of that game, Boris. What about Hopes? I know you're a big fan. I quite like him too. Batting through the innings for 44 though ...

Rimmington's fingers? Simpson? Dunk, Hussey, ...?

I have already pointed out Hopes' fault in that game. If he had hit out a bit at the end the chase would have been quite tricky, especially with the talent in the bowling line up. Could almost put the game on Hopes's shoulders for that one.

Rimmington has good hands, might be a cause of pressure situations. Will have to look out for that in future, finals have always seemed to be his worst games.

Dunk is now second in line keeper for a very good reason.

Should be a good battle between South Australias 1st XI and their import Pollard against the weakened Victorian 2nd XI

I hope LtD keeps predicting Victoria to be belted every game this season :D

After the Victorian women knocked over the Aussies to win the 1st Womens Twenty20 title the Victorian 2nd XI brings home Victorias 4th Big Bash Trophy by smashing the redbacks who were all totally useless and if it wasnt for their import may have lost by a record margin

Back