Under what conditions should cricket be cancelled

Re: Under what conditions should cricket be cancelled

ants14;322026 said:
What I don't understand is why it has never been an issue before?
Why has it all changed?

it has been an issue once before, im pretty sure scowny played in it against marshall when he was at nth shore, a couple of their blokes had to leave the field and lie down in marshall rooms, it was stinkin hot, about 39 from memory. the gca flirted with a hot weather rule after that round for future heat problems, but i never heard what happened with it.

thommy_rissole;322018 said:
There doesn't need to be any distinct temperature because Senior Men's cricket should not be called off due to "hot" weather, period.

A possible scenario:

A team needs to win the final 2 day match of the season to make the finals, the weather is anticipated as maximum 43C on the second day with an early cool change, match gets abandoned. Cool change eventuates at 2pm, said team misses finals because of "extreme" weather.

FACE, GCA, EGG.

how big is the gca's face, huuuuuuuge id say, its had that much egg on it in the past, its skin must be stuffed.

if the GCA call it off tomorrow they will call off the whole weekend including Sunday when the weather is 22 degrees. Tough luck all round except for those few teams which have already won first week. Good stuff to all of those lucky sides !!

tim finnigan;322139 said:
Calling a turf game off because it is too hot. Imagine Football Geelong coming out and telling all the clubs that as of 9am Saturday morning they could call games of senior football off because it is too cold. It's a bloody embarassment.

Actually back in 2003 or 2004 there was a handful of games called off throughout the gfl,bfl and gdfl one week coz of the cold weather i remember it well coz bluey mcgrath got hypothermia at half time and couldn't play on probably cost us a finals spot:rolleyes:. But i know from marshall's point of view it could end up being the difference bewteen staying in div2 or going down to div3, and for some clubs dropping down could prove disastorous, but 44 is fu@kin hot espicially after you've worked all morning.

Guarantee that football would be called off if it was 44 degrees. The heat is more dangerous than the cold.

ok the latest Geelong forecast is for 44 degrees today so based on that the GCA will be calling off all cricket, including tomorrow. not official but is EXTREMELY likely to happen now at 9am.

ok it is crap that a second week of a match is going to be cancelled based on a forecast taken at 5am on Saturday morning. I can understand calling off day 1 of a two day fixture, or the whole round of a one day fixture, but not so much this one. I agree maybe playing in over 40 degree temperature is not ideal but it is more about playing in sustained heat for a long period of time. If it hits 40 at 1pm and only stays above 40 until 2pm then for the rest of the day it was high 30's then surely that would be okay. Maybe the better way to go was to begin games on time (or later) and if the temp was above 40 degrees for a period of two hours in Geelong then ALL games would be called off at that stage.

gca_ipl;322389 said:
ok it is crap that a second week of a match is going to be cancelled based on a forecast taken at 5am on Saturday morning. I can understand calling off day 1 of a two day fixture, or the whole round of a one day fixture, but not so much this one. I agree maybe playing in over 40 degree temperature is not ideal but it is more about playing in sustained heat for a long period of time. If it hits 40 at 1pm and only stays above 40 until 2pm then for the rest of the day it was high 30's then surely that would be okay. Maybe the better way to go was to begin games on time (or later) and if the temp was above 40 degrees for a period of two hours in Geelong then ALL games would be called off at that stage.

Unfortunately Daz, the GCA is bound by the same ties to H+S (Duty of Care etc) as everyone else is these days. Can only imagine the grief us English would get if you heard about us doing something like this though..... Maybe if we called it off if the forecast was going to be lower than 8 degs.....

GCA WEBSITE said:
As per the extreme heat guidelines, due to the weather conditions the 5th, 6th and 7th grades are cancelled for today 7/2/09.

We are currently working with the CFA and Bureau of Meteorology to try and determine the timing of the arrival of the cool change, a final decision on playing the matches in the 1st to 4th elevens will be made at 11 am and published on the website and broadcast on K Rock

I hate it how I now have to wait until 11 am :(

thommy_rissole;322415 said:
I hate it how I now have to wait until 11 am :(

Unbelievable - How can you have a statement on the website, for all to see, regarding temp at 9 o clock, then change your mind. If we wait long enough, the change will surely come! Have a rule and stick to it FFS!

Wait till 11 for decision now? Should have been on 3rd pot by then.Make up your mind.

a for effort;322428 said:
All cricket cancelled
wat a joke.... these stupid rules suck... we'll all be trashed by 3 oclok now... and we've got ladies day on at the club... could get messy around 6 oclokk

Painful we have to go to the ground and decide then:eek:

Glad we're just playing up the road at Queenscliff:mad:

some sides will want to play, plenty of drinks every ten, she'll be right.

Very unfortunate for our first X1,would of made that 390 odd posted by Marshall look like a stroll in the park.

painful.... playing the bottom side and we dont get the points coz of heat:mad:

Back