Usman Khawaja

el-capitano

Interesting article on Khawaja in cricinfo:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/553379.html

In particular this bit:

On the team's return to Australia, feedback about Khawaja from the tour party, selectors and management, was less than glowing. To paraphrase Mike Gatting's oft-quoted line about Graham Thorpe when an England selector, Khawaja did not offer much to the tour other than runs, and even those did not come in rich enough supply. He did not - does not - spend the extra hours in the gym that others do to cross the line from "cricket-fit" to athletic. He needed to do plenty of work on his fielding, which did not meet Steve Rixon's exacting standards.

Khawaja and the rest of the Australian players were introduced to Pat Howard and John Inverarity, two key members of the new support structure for Clarke. In Brisbane ahead of the first Testagainst New Zealand, they met Mickey Arthur, the new coach. All were privy to the previous regime's thoughts about Khawaja, and were aware of what they wanted him to improve. At the Gabba, Khawaja was again unfortunate, run out when he appeared good for many more than his 38 - Ponting was at fault. But in the field he struggled, resting on his heels too often at short leg.

Sad if that is the way as i really saw a fine batsman there, but if you don't put in you will never make it.

When you get to that level... it isn't all about talent... you have to REALLY want it... maybe he just doesn't want it as much as some others do.

When you get to that level... it isn't all about talent... you have to REALLY want it... maybe he just doesn't want it as much as some others do.
I agree absolutely with that last comment and as with others before him(ie Ferguson etc) - the fire in the belly is what sorts them out at the level(Ponting/Clarke/Hussey) - we will see Hughes back sooner rather than later - he has that X factor that separates the very good from the rest. We have not got any 23 year olds with his record at first class level and few ever - In my opinion he will become an important part of our test side over the next 10 years . Right now we have got some work to do !!

I agree absolutely with that last comment and as with others before him(ie Ferguson etc) - the fire in the belly is what sorts them out at the level(Ponting/Clarke/Hussey) - we will see Hughes back sooner rather than later - he has that X factor that separates the very good from the rest. We have not got any 23 year olds with his record at first class level and few ever - In my opinion he will become an important part of our test side over the next 10 years . Right now we have got some work to do !!
He better get his head right sooner rather than later, because CA won't hang around for him, as we have seen, they are very willing to cut a bloke off at the knees quickly.

Back