Victorian Premier Cricket 09/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Victorian Premier Cricket 09/10

Add Hoogenboom and Bird to the bowling stocks and the attack looks quite dangerous. Cookson is a good keeper, and handy down the order with the bat and can always add valuable runs.

Yeah very dangerous indeed, a professional with an average of 34 and 18 wickets in 14 games is alot to ride home about!!! (hoogenboom)

They're basically back in the same situation as they were after the loss of Roach, Swift and others a few years ago, except now they're building their club around people, not a couple of highly paid cricketers.

Here's a go at a final ladder for the up coming season.

1. Ringwood
2. Carlton
3. Melbourne
4. Fitzroy
5. St Kilda
6. Geelong
7. Frankston
8. Prahran
------------------
9. Essendon
10. Dandenong
11. Footscray
12. Richmond
13. Melbourne Uni
14. Casey/South Melbourne
15. Camberwell
16. Northcote
17. Hawthorn
18. North Melbourne

five80;363602 said:
Here's a go at a final ladder for the up coming season.

1. Ringwood
2. Carlton
3. Melbourne
4. Fitzroy
5. St Kilda
6. Geelong
7. Frankston
8. Prahran
------------------
9. Essendon
10. Dandenong
11. Footscray
12. Richmond
13. Melbourne Uni
14. Casey/South Melbourne
15. Camberwell
16. Northcote
17. Hawthorn
18. North Melbourne

1. Melbourne
2. Carlton
3. Fitzroy-Doncaster
4. Ringwood
5. Frankston Peninsula
6. Geelong
7. St Kilda
8. Essendon
------------------------------------
9. Prahran
10. Dandenong
11. Footscray-Edgewater
12. Northcote
13. Casey South-Melbourne
14. Camberwell
15. Melbourne University
16. Richmond
17. Hawthorn Monash-University
18. North Melbourne

Centurian;363344 said:
Personally I think all this talk about Hawthorn going to struggle for the next x amount of seasons is all rubbish. You can look at the clubs like Melbourne Uni, Camberwell, Northcote and Prahran. They have no so-called marquee players or superstars yet manage to perfrom most seasons. These above clubs play as a team and that wins games. Its not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog. Hawthorn where all individuals last season. It was impossible to play as a team with all those ego's! With all the new faces at Hawthorn and the improved attitudes the club will be a better place.

Yes they have lost the likes of spoljaric, dart and silence. However, Dart did ************ all on and off the field last year. Yes spoljaric got a heap of wickets but i think anyone could if they bowled 10,000 overs a season.
Silence will be a loss, he was good for the club on and off the field, and a true professional.

The good news is that quality players have returned to the club. Hewatt and Miller will be big bonuses this season and should add 60odd wickets between them and are both very handy with the willow.

Add Hoogenboom and Bird to the bowling stocks and the attack looks quite dangerous. Cookson is a good keeper, and handy down the order with the bat and can always add valuable runs.

Karegorgiou proved he is good enough last season and has a good chance of making the Vic under 19's this season. Tormey needs a big season, he struggling after returning from the under 19 nationals last season where he topped the scoring. Still yet to prove himself at District First Grade though.

The club has a lot of young players coming through, the likes of Henry, Pham, Boxell, Ivetic and Hillyer are all improving game by game and are proving themselves coming through the ranks. With Pham playing first grade last season and looked comfortable. A lot will rely on the more mature heads that have been around for a few seasons. The likes of Dragwidge, Slack, Sampson, Kapoor and the new faces of Brooks, Brown, Gunawardana etc will help improve the club.

Training has already been better this season than it has the past 2 or 3 seasons. More people training and commiting to the club. Everyone at the club is looking forward to starting the season and proving all the doubters wrong...

where did Gunawardana play last year? not at prahran. can play this kid (well not kid anymore)

Dean played local cricket last year, giving Premier cricket a go again this year.

diamond duck;363718 said:
where did Gunawardana play last year? not at prahran. can play this kid (well not kid anymore)

i think their recruits and younger blokes will capitalise on the opportunities now available.. unlike from what it seems in the past that there was really no chance of getting a spot in the first XI. This however will be a credit to the coach of how he prepares the younger players to step up.. especially the blokes who have alot to prove, such as tormey etc.. and if you look at their recruits aside from past players, all blokes who are good cricketers but havn't played enough first XI to warrant the tag experienced. Theres a need to fill a big gap that probably lacks an experienced head, a big task for the guys who step in those types of roles like gunawardana, brooks, carroll, bird, hoogenboom, etc..

Hawthorn wont even get close to winning a game this year!
and how can u say prahan have no marquee players arent hussey mcgain schilittler huckett good enough for u ????

Guarentee Hawthorn prove the doubters wrong. They will be a much better side than you are anticipating. The team will be a much better group of players, rather than thinking the so called "stars" will do the job for them.

Goodwin, you mentioned Hussey and Mcgain?? How many games have these blokes played between them at Prahran in the past 2-3 years. F**K all, thats how many. When i say they have no marquee players, i mean guys who actually play week in week out. Schlittler can hit a ball a long way, thats about it. and Huckett is not a marquee player. Dont let that go to his head, he is already an arrogant pr*** who talks absolute rubbish on and off the field and thinks he should be playing for Australia.

Ladder will be:

1. Melbourne
2. Ringwood
3. St Kilda
4. Fitzroy-Doncaster
5. Carlton
6. Dandenong
7. Hawthorn-Monash
8. Prahran

-----------------------------------------

9. Frankston
10. Geelong
11. Footscray-Edgewater
12. Casey-Sth Melbourne
13. Essendon
14. Melbourne Uni
15. Richmond
16. Camberwell Magpies
17. Northcote
18. North Melbourne

So thats that settled.

Hawthorn 7th? You have rocks in your head. North Melbourne and Hawthorn playing for the wooden spoon.

If you're going to claim that McGain and Hussey don't qualify as marquee players, then that rules out pretty much every state player. That pushes Huckett into that category, anyone who is a guaranteed 35+ wicket-taker, is a very good district player.

Hawthorn's biggest problems will be finding guys who make big scores consistently. They've had their batting line-up ripped to shreds, and we saw last year with Casey that it doesn't matter how well you bowl, you need to be given something to bowl at.

Interesting to see Melbourne placed up top; their bowling attack may not be as strong as last year, with talk that there may be no Halbish or Dale.

North Melbourne seem to be getting a good array of solid club players to help their depth; they were pretty ordinary in the lower grades last year. Have they sorted out the Arden St situation yet?

Not going to happen! Guess we will see in 7 months time. You will be eating your own words five80.

With regards to barry dawsons post, if Melbourne dont have Dale and Halbish playing for them my prediction would change. They are very important players for them. Dart will help, but if they lost the two bowlers they may be towards the bottom of the top 8. Means one spot higher for the Hawks! :)

The batting will be the major problem with Hawthorn this season. Having only Karageorgiou and Tormey from last seasons "batting" line up is a bit of a worry. However, with the inclusion of a few other players scores in the region of 80-90 will be defendable with a solid bowling attack! ;)

Disregard that last line actually, get on Hawthorn to be a solid contender this season, both bat and ball. There is always bonuses going into a season with absolutely no expections or pressures on your head. Plus having unknown cricketers can be a bonus.

As i said, guess we will just have to have a review in 7 months time. I think i will be accepting appologies then. If im wrong i'll admit i was wrong, but dont think i will be.

how much pressure do u want to place on young karageorgiou, he has played about 3 firsts games. If a club is relying on an 18 year old who has played less than 10 firsts games to make runs, then good luck.

TheStraighter1;363863 said:
how much pressure do u want to place on young karageorgiou, he has played about 3 firsts games. If a club is relying on an 18 year old who has played less than 10 firsts games to make runs, then good luck.

How else will he learn? I believe its these kind of challenges that make a player great, using that rule, the current hawthorn squad will no doubt produce some very very good cricketers.

Anyone know where Dewar is playing this year. Heard he might not fit in to the new Hawthorn structure?

rang1;363868 said:
How else will he learn? I believe its these kind of challenges that make a player great, using that rule, the current hawthorn squad will no doubt produce some very very good cricketers.

I think most of Hawthorn's first will have played less than 10 games,

Centurian;363761 said:
With regards to barry dawsons post, if Melbourne dont have Dale and Halbish playing for them my prediction would change. They are very important players for them. Dart will help, but if they lost the two bowlers they may be towards the bottom of the top 8. Means one spot higher for the Hawks! :)

I like how you said that a team shouldn't perform based on which big name players you have.... and then say that melbourne will drop 7 rungs on the ladder because they will be missing 2 star bowlers.

Can i just say that i have never put any added pressure on Karageorgiou. I never said he is going to or needs to make over a certain amount of runs this year, nor did i say all of Hawthorn relies on him to make runs. All i said was that he is a quality young cricketer and he is up for the challenge.

I agree with Rang1 and believe it is the challenges that Hawthorn-Monash Uni will face this season makes better cricketers and will fast-track the development of players.

In regards to Darren Dewer he is a lost cause. No matter who he plays for he will always be an immature little sh*t with one of the biggest attitude problems i have ever seen in my many years. I am not doubting the kids ability, he can play. However, he will get nowhere in life with his attitude and end up on the doll.Although, he seemed to like the sound of that last season anyway.

And in response to onyerways criticism of myself. All i want to say is i never said they would finish 8th from 1st. All i said was they will finish in the lower half of the 8. Therefore 5th is a likely position. Yes i said one-spot higher for Hawthorn, but did not intend it that way. You must agree with me that Halbish and Dale are quality players and very important for Melbourne, without their experience they wont be as potent this season. Who is going to be there number 1 bolwer, Sheetz? Quinn? Your kidding me aren't you. Guess it depends on who they pick up.

Barry Dawson;363758 said:
If you're going to claim that McGain and Hussey don't qualify as marquee players, then that rules out pretty much every state player. That pushes Huckett into that category, anyone who is a guaranteed 35+ wicket-taker, is a very good district player.

Hawthorn's biggest problems will be finding guys who make big scores consistently. They've had their batting line-up ripped to shreds, and we saw last year with Casey that it doesn't matter how well you bowl, you need to be given something to bowl at.

Interesting to see Melbourne placed up top; their bowling attack may not be as strong as last year, with talk that there may be no Halbish or Dale.

North Melbourne seem to be getting a good array of solid club players to help their depth; they were pretty ordinary in the lower grades last year. Have they sorted out the Arden St situation yet?

Dale will be playing this year, was seen training with the melbourne lads a couple of weeks back.. However, he did look like that he has been dipping into the KFC variety bucket during the off season!!

Can i just say that i have never put any added pressure on Karageorgiou. I never said he is going to or needs to make over a certain amount of runs this year, nor did i say all of Hawthorn relies on him to make runs. All i said was that he is a quality young cricketer and he is up for the challenge.

I agree with Rang1 and believe it is the challenges that Hawthorn-Monash Uni will face this season makes better cricketers and will fast-track the development of players.

In regards to Darren Dewer he is a lost cause. No matter who he plays for he will always be an immature little sh*t with one of the biggest attitude problems i have ever seen in my many years. I am not doubting the kids ability, he can play. However, he will get nowhere in life with his attitude and end up on the doll.Although, he seemed to like the sound of that last season anyway.

And in response to onyerways criticism of myself. All i want to say is i never said they would finish 8th from 1st. All i said was they will finish in the lower half of the 8. Therefore 5th is a likely position. Yes i said one-spot higher for Hawthorn, but did not intend it that way. You must agree with me that Halbish and Dale are quality players and very important for Melbourne, without their experience they wont be as potent this season. Who is going to be there number 1 bolwer, Sheetz? Quinn? Your kidding me aren't you. Guess it depends on who they pick up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back