Victorian Premier Cricket - 2010/11

So how does the points system work. How much is each player worth? How many points does each team have?

It all depends on the player. If a player has played at one club for his career, that player would only have one point. If a player was to have played more than 50 premier first eleven games at one club and then went to a new club next season, he would have 5 points.

This system is for the control of overseas professional players. Players like trego, hales and hamilton brown would have carried 8 points for this season as they have played first class cricket with a test playing nation. Doropolous would have had 7 as he has played first class cricket.

The maximum amount of points you can have in your team per game is 25.

The change was suggested in view of the difficulty monitoring the current 2 player professional player rule. The points system should make it easier to oversee and infractions can be quickly identified and corrected. With players brought through the Club itself valued at one point and experienced players from other Premier Clubs, other state reps and internationals valued much higher, more emphasis may be placed on development in house.

So then by my understanding:

Wade - from Tassie - 7 points
Herrick - from Frankston/StKilda - 5 points
Wright - from Tassie - 7 points
Trego - From UK - 8 points

Then 7 other 1 point players

That's 34 points!

What would these guys be worth at Frankston?

Jewell - 7?
Chasemore - 5?
Holland- 7?
Damiano - 5?

Surely not?

Jewlell would not be 7 as he played premier cricket before first class - he will be a 3 next year
Chasemore would be the same as jewell
as would Holland
Damiano would be a 4

Wade would be a 4
herrick would be a 2
wright would be a 5
trego if he were to play next year would be a 7.

This system is only designed for overseas players and players from other states.

The system is designed to take all players into account.
Clubs will have to keep their points tally below 25. Players they have raised themselves will be worth one point. Players transferring in will be ranked according to the level they have attained with overseas and interstate players generally a point or two higher than Victorian players.
Trego therefore an 8 this year, a 7 for Casey next year but if he went elsewhere probably an 8 again.
Holland came to Frankston rated a 7 because he is classified as a current domestic player and will be a 6 next year.
Damiano had played in excess of 50 Premier games for Dandenong and so would have come to Frankston as a 6 point player.
The points value for each player will reduce by one each year he remains with the new club until he reaches a value of 2.

As you can see a player transferring with previous first eleven Premier cricket experience will affect the points tally, sometimes nearly as much as some of the higher credentialed recruits. Salpietro, Gloury, Jeffs, Sandri, Fekete, Damiano and Forsyth would all have been 6 point players.
6 First XI player from another Premier Club 50+ games
5 First XI player from another Premier Club (21-49 games)
4 First XI player from another Premier Club (1-20 games)
1 Player who has not played First XI for another Premier Club
Clubs will increasingly find that they need to build from within their own ranks

Camberwell and Casey the teams with the biggest issues, but will probably be solved by not getting any English players back this coming year. Both teams probably need them for their batting. Maybe Prahran as well, but really they'll be OK now I think, Rogers hardly plays for them anyway.

Those teams may find themselves a bit hamstrung with recruiting this season. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Richmond gets a bit of leeway this year with their move, if players don't come across with them then they could end up having to chase a few names.

I also think it's a bit silly that someone like Allan Wise comes back as a four point player from SA. He's still homegrown talent, and Richmond have been punished for producing a player who is being chased by other states.

If that's correct, then next year at Frankston Jewell is a 5, Chasemore is a 4, Holland is a 6 and Damiano is a 5. That's 20 points and they'll be over the limit.

I hope you're right "Washed Out".

Camberwell and Casey the teams with the biggest issues, but will probably be solved by not getting any English players back this coming year. Both teams probably need them for their batting. Maybe Prahran as well, but really they'll be OK now I think, Rogers hardly plays for them anyway.

Those teams may find themselves a bit hamstrung with recruiting this season. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Richmond gets a bit of leeway this year with their move, if players don't come across with them then they could end up having to chase a few names.

I also think it's a bit silly that someone like Allan Wise comes back as a four point player from SA. He's still homegrown talent, and Richmond have been punished for producing a player who is being chased by other states.

Is there any truth to the rumour that rogers will be losing his contract along with some other players who are a bit long in the tooth?

Full strength North Melbourne side would have attracted 35 points this year and will be worth 30 next season. Who do they cut to get to 25 points? Other clubs over based on this years list will be Richmond (27), Camberwell (38), Footscray (28), Melb Uni (27), Prahran (31), Casey (27). Out of this list only Casey & Richmond are only sides with state players so unlikely to breah cap most weeks, could be tough come finals time.

Wise gets 50% discount as a player returning to his home club. If Richmond get some leeway for moving grounds expect Casey to push for some as well, their list still full of players who came to the club when it moved.

What happens to players who have to be let go so their club stays under the cap. Could be heavily restricted as to their playing options at Premier Level. Who will want to pick up 6 points for an average grade player if you can get a state player for 7? More players to go to Subbies or other comps

Two unlikely combatants clash for the 2010/2011 Premier Cricket pennant as what has been a very frustrating season comes to an intriguing climax over the weekend. Two teams that have made their way to the final game via different routes, but who both boast very experienced lineups.
Premier Cricket. Grand Final. 26th, 26th & 27th March.

Dandenong vs. Frankston Peninsula at Melbourne University Oval

Rd. 11. (T20) Dandenong 7/143 (Donnell 42, Benbow 4/27) lost to Frankston Peninsula 6/144 cc (Damiano 32, Dempsey 2/18).

STUMPS ON DAY 1

Frankston Peninsula won the toss

Frankston Peninsula 5/213(84.2 overs)

Walker 71
Damiano 47

Jewell 61*
Miller 3*

D.Pattinson 2/30
Siddle 2/50

Rain stopped play at 5:54pm. Abandoned at 5:55pm

Play resumes tomorrow at 11am

STUMPS DAY 2

Frankston Peninsula(res.5/213) All Out 224

Jewell 63

Siddle 5/52

Dandenong 9/213 (88 overs)
Trail by 11

Donnell 83

J.Pattinson 50*
Butterfield 12*

Miller 5/48

Play resumes at 11am tomorrow

Scores After the Greatest Victorian Premier Cricket Final Ever finished at 6:38pm tonight

Frankston Peninsula 1st Innings 224

Dandenong 1st Innings(res.9/213) 226
J.Pattinson 59*

Miller 6/54

Frankston Peninsula 2nd Innings 8/138(dec)

Chasemore 46*

Butterfield 3/36

Dandenong(Target 137) 9/125

Donnell 50

Groves 4/31

Dandenong win by 2 runs on 1st Innings

James Pattinson won John Scholes Medal for Player of the Final

So Hawthorn have lost Tormey, Hewat, Hooganboom and their coach. They still can't pay players for another 12 months so it will be hard to attract new players. Going to be ever harder for them.

The new system will supposedly allow them to pay players, because there are no restrictions on paying players. I heard that they voted in favour of it, and that was a major reason.

Back