Virender's Blog-2008

Virender's Blog-2009

Last couple of weeks has been disappointing for me..with work load/job stress due to recession..concentration on the cricketing field has been less.
Due to that i was unable to play in both the league matches for my club..club lost both the matches and thereby the end of our cricket season..
Only one month is left so only net practice is on...i wanted to have couple of more matches but with the current situation because of job...that seems impossible..
So i am trying to go the nets in between,,,after 2 weeks i batted today and was getting in good knock...
It was good to see couple of young boys playing for our club..one particular is a fine prospect for medium pace bowler..i suggested one of the boy to start practicing leg spin...we need more spinners...and he fits that requirement...i have to train him but need my captain's approval..
Further more we have one good left arm spinner and he played the league match in my absence...bowling very good in the 20/20 matches...becoming the only successfully spinner in our team..
I batted against his spin for the first time and had few anxious moment..but after batting with sound temprament...then i used his pace to good effect..he bowls with pace and that where the trouble is...if batsmen picks his pace then they will use it for there effect...i have advised him to change his pace and get more turn of the wicket rather bowling at pace at every delivery...
I have one month of cricketing season and will attend the nets and according to the work load will try to squeeze one or two matches as well...I am hoping badly for it.....

Re: Virender's Blog-2009

That sounds good that you might be in charge of the new leg spinner, you'll have to let us know how he gets on. Is he up for it do you think and can he bowl leg breaks? Do you reckon he has access to a computer - if so get him on the wrist spin thread?

How did you find it batting against the off-spinner, we've got a fast off-spinner at our club and it's a bit tricky because he does mix it with an arm ball that bounces and I for one can't pick it and find the speed at which he bowls mixed with the spin very tricky as he's very accurate as well.

Virender's Blog-2009

Dave:),

Right now the leg spinner has just started to bowl leg spin only against me in the nets for the rest of the batsmen he bowls medium pace..
I have to speak to my captain for approval..secondly i have just taught him the basics and waiting to see his own interest...
he bowls flighted deliveries a lot so practice is important...let me see what captain has to say...

To bat against an off spinner who mixes an arm ball with bounce is to watch the ball closely with footwork using soft hands and wrist movement to angle the bat with spin.....in matches it is best to rely on singles in his over rather than going out aggressively and risking Ur wicket...because he might bowl at least 1-2 loose deliveries on which we can captialise...i have one left arm & one off spinner and this is the way i have been tackling there spin bowling..So far been successfully.

Re: Virender's Blog-2009

Yeah I like the idea of the soft hands approach and aiming just to get singles off him. I'll try and remember this and incorporate it into my batting. If it works it'll be interesting to see how he tries to counter it.

Virender's Blog-2009

someblokecalleddave;345722 said:
If it works it'll be interesting to see how he tries to counter it.
He might counter back with couple of tricks: either bowl a flighted delivery encouraging you to drive(might run thru the gate and bowl u) or he might bowl with extra bit of pace...depending how long u will hold Ur patience...
Today itself i was batting in the nets and was batting very nicely but the tendency to try new shots had me in trouble against my spinners...but that's why the net practice are...;)

Re: Virender's Blog-2008

Club season in mumbai has come to end for this year and will start in october.
I played my club's match for this season on 10th and 17th.Won both of the matches.
On 10th we won toss and elected to bat... I batted at number 6 position and had a good partnership with captain of 75 runs ...but one wrong call from me ended my run-out and then in the next over my captain also got out...but the lower order batted very well and we scored 240 runs in 40 overs....One of the senior coach was watching the match and he mentioned that u were batting very well...i was rotating the strike and my captain was hitting the bowlers...
But then it was my bowling that came good with 8 overs-29runs-3 wickets.Without being to practice for last 2 weeks and still bowling well was good enough for the team....I Kept a tight line and length on the batsmen,,,,i was denied the 4th wicket by the umpire(who later after the match admitted his mistake)....We won that match....
On 17th We lost the toss and put to field.....I did not bowled as i had a short misunderstanding with the captain and he did not let me bowl for the rest of the inngs and as a result the opposite team scored 170 runs.Only our off spinner was taking wickets and the other left arm spinner was not in form after the inng ended my captain tried to blame me for the whole scenario...after which i gave him a nice earful and made him relaise that it was his ego that let the opposition scored more than 150+ runs.....if he would have understood what i was trying to explain him on the field...then the bowling would have been handled much maturely but he is igornant to my idea and did not let me bowl for the whole inngs other wise i would have restrict them within 125 runs....
Anyway I was then told by my captain to bat at number 3 position to which i again not happy with for not to change the batting position and i was also out of practice from last 2 weeks....but he then again requested ...so i agreed and we lost our first wicket at 28 runs and then I batted with the opener and batted very patiently and took the chase less than 100 runs...When team's score was 86....i was adjugded LBW to which i was stunned as the ball hit me just below the waist line and i was attempting the pull shot with my "ankles/knees raised".
I was batting very well and determined to take my team towards the winning total...but i was cheered by my team mates when i came back....which did surprised me but i was happy that the last match for my club this season ended in win.

Anther addition; fielding was good for both the matches..

On 10th it was fair enough....saved lots of singles and throwing was good...no catching or run-out opportunity but was good enough to block the runs...I was fielding in the boundary area..and hoping for a catch...

On 17th it was all along jonty-way with fielding in the inner circle in the mid-wicket and square leg area so dives and pick-and-throw was efficient.....felt a lot of happiness with the team clapping and enjoying.
With not getting to bowl.... I wanted to contribute in fielding for my team....if not given the bowling opportunity atleast in fielding i was going that extra yard for my team...really i was fielding like jonty(sort of)....

I enjoyed fielding in both the matches...:)

Our "Off Season" has started till mid-October.
Even till date there has been no rain fall....

I have shifted to a new house alongwith my wife...it is a 2BHK in a residential complex with a club house....
I have enrolled to the gym and started to go in the morning...
we have a trainer and he is good with sound knowledge...
the gym is not a full size one but well equiped with the basic requirements.
I will be training hard for next 3-4 months till the cricketing season...as last season i had struggled with injuries.
I will log in regularly to check for cricket updates and events reported by my friends in the forum...
There is no internet connectivity available in my new residence.so i login from my office PC only.

Good to hear from you Virender, this forum does seem to be pretty dead apart from all the Aussie stuff which I think has always been it's mainstay. There seems to be very few people around commenting on things in general. Fortunately Macca, Saddo and me seem to post so frequently on the wrist spin thread that the thread comes up in the top 10 searches on Google if you search for anything relating to leg spin bowling which is good so we get the ocassional new comment maker. But some nights it is only us on here along with EOW and Gundalf. So it's good to have you back and chipping in.

someblokecalleddave;353501 said:
Good to hear from you Virender, this forum does seem to be pretty dead apart from all the Aussie stuff which I think has always been it's mainstay. There seems to be very few people around commenting on things in general. Fortunately Macca, Saddo and me seem to post so frequently on the wrist spin thread that the thread comes up in the top 10 searches on Google if you search for anything relating to leg spin bowling which is good so we get the ocassional new comment maker. But some nights it is only us on here along with EOW and Gundalf. So it's good to have you back and chipping in.

Thanks Dave...

Our Monsoon weekend practice started from yesterday and will be conducted on every weekend..
It was good to see most of the club players coming for practice...
We start our monsoon practice when the first drop of rainfall happens and play cricket with tennis bat and rec colour rubber ball.
10 of us came in the morning at 7:15- 7:30AM.I was the first to report on ground at 7:00AM.
We first started practice with numbers given to each player and i was at number 5...Got one over to bowl got 2 wickets and 1 run....only
By the time my batting number came...a team of boys came and asked us for a match...so a tennis ball match was played of 6 overs each...we won...I bowled one over got 2 wickets(1-Run out) and gave 6 runs...
Target was 32 runs in 6 overs...got it easily as the opposition were bowling wayward with lots of runs earned in wides...
Team looks happy with the Off season Practice idea with couple of player telling me that they enjoy off season practice in rain more than the club practice and club season.
Personally for me travelling from my new residence to the ground takes more time.... it is 10 KM from my house to the ground.So it is time consuming factor.Will be going rarely for practice and instead work on my fitness at the gym inside my society complex.

That sounds like a good laugh and a good way to get through the monsoon. Shame you have to go 10km to get to the ground - do you drive there?

Yeah... I have purchased a new bike...135CC and 70KM/litre(projected by Company....still under observation).

10KM one way is long journey...So i will be going for the monsoon practice on every alternate sundays,whenever possible.
Focus will be more on fitness.

Yeah Dave..that's right because that is the only option i have to keep my cricket practice going...
So i use to get up early in the morning at 5:40AM and then report to the nets at 6:30AM.
Net Practice is from 7-9AM..but reaching early helps in having proper warm-up and then alongwith my fellow spinner....I have the option of practicing spot bowling, knocking or catch practice...
Then from 7-8 AM net practice then off to home and get ready to leave for office by 8:45 AM.....That made me skip breakfast at home everyday...
At times i use to get late at work or feel stiffness in the body...But still cricket practice kept my spirits high everyday..
Now i have shifted my residence which is far away from the cricket ground...So i have to figure out some solution for my practice during the coming cricketing season...that is from october.

Virender

Virender's Blog

Last sunday i went for my monsoon practice...it was good with couple of hardcore tennis players and we had a blast...in practice..

Our team lost all the 3 matches but the enjoyment was superb...in the 2nd match...we required...12 runs in last over...and a mis-fielding and then an absurd over throw got us 7 runs in a ball...then the target was 5 runs in 5 balls...but we lost because the batsmen could not connect the ball with bat...

I bowled good in all the matches but not so lucky in batting....
In the 3rd match our pinch hitter batted well and in the end nearly got us victory but when required 4 runs of 4 balls...he failed in all the 4 balls....to score a run...
Overall a good sunday practice...and we had a great time...
This sunday i will be working...so no practice..maybe next sunday...

Virender

Virender's Blog

Virendersingh.berthwal;259028 said:
After a month of Marriage; Life has started at the normal pace with Office work load increased and cricketing season nearly ending.
The concentration will be now on office work.With monsoon approaching very soon it is necessary that I sit with the club captain and discuss the plans for Off-season training.
But given the laclustre response from members as most are working guys;the practice will be kept for weekends only.
This time around;I will update my blog with photos taken during our practice session or an overview of the normal life in our city which is something my fellow forum members across the globe will find interesting.
I have requested the SC Admin guys to create a section and hoefully something can be done about it.

Looking forward to 2008; I will especially work on my fitness as injuries and irregular working hours has put off my fitness goal and made me felt miserable.
With the "Off-Season" ON;I can work on my fitness and be prepared in a better physical and mental state by the time cricketing season starts at October'08.
My wife is also supportive of my playing cricket as she herself is a cricket enthusiast and have watched a few IPL matches with me.
Changes are required..

Back