Vista

Re: Vista

Obviously it does, but the memory is freed when the game quits. So it doesn't make your PC slow unless you simultaneously run multiple resource hungry applications. People lacking the common sense to buy a PC according to their requirements is a different matter altogether. It doesn't apply in this case. If you have a PC capable of running Vista, your PC should easily meet the recommended requirements of Cricket 07.

AB;296338 said:
Obviously it does, but the memory is freed when the game quits. So it doesn't make your PC slow unless you simultaneously run multiple resource hungry applications. People lacking the common sense to buy a PC according to their requirements is a different matter altogether. It doesn't apply in this case. If you have a PC capable of running Vista, your PC should easily meet the recommended requirements of Cricket 07.
Not if you have it installed on your computer, the memory isn't freed. It's the same thing when you have all your work all over the place instead of having it all in folders and on memory stick or cd.
With a memory stick if you have games on there then get them off there it just screws up your memory stick.
You are better off having all applications on your pc and all your work on memory stick.

That doesn't make any sense. You might be referring to hard disk or permanent storage media as the memory instead of RAM. Memory(RAM) allocated to an application is freed when you exit the application.

AB;296536 said:
Yeah, it does. I just don't like it when people give wrong advice.
:rolleyes:
You only get a set amount of RAM in your computer.....
Hense the reason why your memory screws up if it is full......
If you want to debate about this, I dare you to go and talk about it on the cybershack website and their forum.

They know more than what you do. That's if you care to visit them.

Learn to take other people's advice whether you like it or not.

mas cambios;296578 said:
You know the difference between RAM (memory) and hard drive (memory) right?
Yes I do. You don't get much of either.
Which is what my point was......

There are gaming computers around. If you wish to play games rather than do your work, then buy a gaming computer where you have more memory and room to have all your games on there.

Otherwise stop bitching about why a game won't play on your pc.

Mum's computer has Vista and I hate it with a passion. Can't get half the programs to work on it and I have no problems on XP..

I'm not sure that was your point. In terms of storage then most machines come with upwards of 300GB these days. That is plenty for the 'average' user unless they are storing a lot of media (music, films and photos). Anyway, it's not a hassle to buy extra if needed, whether internal or external.

As for RAM, I'm guessing 2GB is the standard at the moment? Again, enough for most people (especially as 32-bit Windows doesn't really support anything more than 3.5GB) and certainly enough to run Cricket 2007 (which recommends 256mb RAM and 1.2GB for storage).

The confusion (if I may call it that) stems from your point here:

schwab2clarkson;296422 said:
Not if you have it installed on your computer, the memory isn't freed. It's the same thing when you have all your work all over the place instead of having it all in folders and on memory stick or cd.

Where you are implicitly talking about storage memory and not RAM. If you were talking about RAM then you would know that the memory is freed, not necessarily when the program is terminated but certainly when you turned the computer off.

schwab2clarkson;296422 said:
With a memory stick if you have games on there then get them off there it just screws up your memory stick.

With regards to this, I can't comment on it screwing up your memory stick but I certainly would not run a game off one, as the transfer rate of USB would make it shockingly slow to play.

schwab2clarkson said:

I'm not bitching about a game not working on my machine, merely trying to make sure that all parties are talking about the same thing. Also, it is worth remembering that there are some compatibly issues with Vista with regards to some (older) hardware and that also extends to some software.

schwab2clarkson;296580 said:
Yes I do. You don't get much of either.
Which is what my point was......

There are gaming computers around. If you wish to play games rather than do your work, then buy a gaming computer where you have more memory and room to have all your games on there.

No you don't. Apparently you don't know how RAM works or what's it's basic usage, so please calm down. I understand but you can't go around having a go at others when your own knowledge is at fault.

I've been doing computers for 4 years. I've built more than 100 PC's, I keep myself updated to technology, heck I even know stuff about your PC you don't yourself.

So, the thing is that from your posts its apparent you don't know what RAM is for. RAM is Random Access Memory, kind of a temporary storage. When you run a program it stores that information in the RAM which has to be regularly accessed. And the reason for storing it in a RAM is that RAM is MANY times faster than a regular HDD. For example, a 2GB DDR2 800 Dual Channel Kit is around 100-150 times faster than even the WD Raptors.

When you exit a program Windows empties its RAM usage simply because it kills the process so whatever memory was occupied in the RAM is emptied(Except in some cases when you exit a program, it doesn't actually "exit" and runs in the background). For one thing games don't run in the back ground.

schwab2clarkson;296575 said:
You only get a set amount of RAM in your computer.....
Hense the reason why your memory screws up if it is full......
If you want to debate about this, I dare you to go and talk about it on the cybershack website and their forum.

They know more than what you do. That's if you care to visit them.

Learn to take other people's advice whether you like it or not.

That's ridiculous. Why should anyone learn to be misguided?

AB;296702 said:
That's ridiculous. Why should anyone learn to be misguided?
Stop arguing. I am not here for your constant bitching.

I don't care what you think to be honest.

I am here to help people out with Vista and not to settle arguments with people who want to argue all the time.

You could have simply said that you have disagreed without making some stupid statement about what I had said.

Yeah, it does. I just don't like it when people give wrong advice.
This is what you said..... Now look at what you have started...... :rolleyes:

Kshitiz;296656 said:
No you don't. Apparently you don't know how RAM works or what's it's basic usage, so please calm down. I understand but you can't go around having a go at others when your own knowledge is at fault.

I've been doing computers for 4 years. I've built more than 100 PC's, I keep myself updated to technology, heck I even know stuff about your PC you don't yourself.

So, the thing is that from your posts its apparent you don't know what RAM is for. RAM is Random Access Memory, kind of a temporary storage. When you run a program it stores that information in the RAM which has to be regularly accessed. And the reason for storing it in a RAM is that RAM is MANY times faster than a regular HDD. For example, a 2GB DDR2 800 Dual Channel Kit is around 100-150 times faster than even the WD Raptors.

When you exit a program Windows empties its RAM usage simply because it kills the process so whatever memory was occupied in the RAM is emptied(Except in some cases when you exit a program, it doesn't actually "exit" and runs in the background). For one thing games don't run in the back ground.
There is no need to have a go at me all the time.
I am here to help out those who don't like vista and not to argue the point with moderators.

I'm not interested in arguing or debating over a trivial topic such as this. But when someone gives the wrong advice, I'd rather correct them then let the people who read the topic be misguided. You are wrongly advicing people that playing games screws up the PC. That it consumes an astronomical amounts of memory which is never freed back. Just wanting to help people is not enough. If you aren't knowledgeable enough you are more likely to misguide them.

schwab2clarkson;296717 said:
There is no need to have a go at me all the time.
I am here to help out those who don't like vista and not to argue the point with moderators.
I wasn't having a go at you, I was simply trying to correct you where you went wrong.

And with that as mas says, lets be back on the topic.

If we'll compare the features of Vista with XP then Vista rules . When it comes to compatibility, it fails:(.

Hitterman get yourself a gaming computer and don't use a normal computer and then you won't have any problems
Money$.....**cough**...Money***

Hitterman;296753 said:
If we'll compare the features of Vista with XP then Vista rules . When it comes to compatibility, it fails:(.

Money$.....**cough**...Money***

Save up for one. It's better than using an old one that is shit and doesn't allow you to play your games...

There are computers that are for sale for under 1000 that will do you down to the wire.

Back