VTCA Cricket - General Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: VTCA Cricket - General Chat

7/564;333061 said:
Thats the problem with the higher team getting home ground advantage 4 a semi final. If its raining why would you put down covers before Friday night.

The rules do say that you can put down covers at any time during the week. i just drove past Spotty before covers are not down. If we do get a start might be a good idea who ever wins the toss to bowl

7 fa, Surely by finishing higher on the ladder entitles you to a home semi?? Granted, there will be quite a few clubs that will not be seen doing all they can to ensure a game gets a start. But hopefull this is the minority!!

As we are all either working or at school (and more and more become un-employed), i think it is unreasonable to expect covers to go down at any time during the weekdays. Having said that, we ALWAYS get ours down if there is forecast is rain between Thurs nite and Sat, as was the case last nite. We got them down at around 7 pm. Track is soft, but hopefully we get a game in at some stage.

Good luck to al playing finals.

Too Old Body Broke;333501 said:
7 fa, Surely by finishing higher on the ladder entitles you to a home semi?? Granted, there will be quite a few clubs that will not be seen doing all they can to ensure a game gets a start. But hopefull this is the minority!!

As we are all either working or at school (and more and more become un-employed), i think it is unreasonable to expect covers to go down at any time during the weekdays. Having said that, we ALWAYS get ours down if there is forecast is rain between Thurs nite and Sat, as was the case last nite. We got them down at around 7 pm. Track is soft, but hopefully we get a game in at some stage.

doesnt look like there will be much play on sat , sunday is looking like the best bet if at all , just goes to show the importance of finishing in the top 2

Too Old Body Broke;333501 said:

I agree top 2 should get home final.

Was just stating as you said some teams might take advanage of this, but if you finsh top 2 i no i would profur to play a 2 day game instead off a one day game cause as we all no anything can happen in a one dayer.

Good luck to all that a playing finals this week

jika jika;333197 said:
hey champ, ask the st bernards top order if Danny Law will bowl this week or not. Your source is struggling.

Dont know who you are mate but i would love to take u on in a bet!! A couple of st B blokes reckon D Law bowled but pretty slow. Can you confirm? is it true that his achillies is fine and not as claimed ? You guys might get a free ride into the GF! How is it that there could be a washout in the middle of a drought?? ( melbourne)

You are pretty confident he will bowl, do you play with/ against him?

Whats ur source?

Calypso King;333617 said:
Dont know who you are mate but i would love to take u on in a bet!! A couple of st B blokes reckon D Law bowled but pretty slow. Can you confirm? is it true that his achillies is fine and not as claimed ? You guys might get a free ride into the GF! How is it that there could be a washout in the middle of a drought?? ( melbourne)

You are pretty confident he will bowl, do you play with/ against him?

Whats ur source?

I can confirm his achilles is fine, you wont find 1 st bernards top order bat that said his spell last week was slow, no free ride at the fearon, game will start on time, rolled the wicket tonight and its pretty good, come and watch over the weekend ( im presuming your not playing) im the old fat fella at mid on or fine leg. Oh and by the way he will bowl and very quickly id suggest.

News out of Mckinnon is that the very popular Chris Hall is heading to Frankston next season as coach and skipper of the seconds. They will find it very hard to replace him as he along with White carried them for the season.

southern sledge;333978 said:
News out of Mckinnon is that the very popular Chris Hall is heading to Frankston next season as coach and skipper of the seconds. They will find it very hard to replace him as he along with White carried them for the season.

source? is it 100%?

southern sledge;333978 said:

What a day Bakes bowls again,i cant make a run,but picked up at club Happy Days:):D;):cool:

rubble;334112 said:
What a day Bakes bowls again,i cant make a run,but picked up at club Happy Days:):D;):cool:

Good too see you keeped up your averages Deano what was the fillie
like good type?
Also heard there is a tug of war going on with Keilor and Hoppers fighting
over the ROPE again,will be quite on B/C now Doutta gone,keilor lost and
no South sides in Happy days:

southern sledge;334763 said:
There is a new trophy this week for the Senior Division.
It will be called the Affidavit Cup.

The winner will claim the Affidavit Cup, while the loser will go out and buy another 5 ex-district players for next season.. it's win-win for both sides :p

All the more reason to make sure we have a points system in next season. Then there will be no need for Affidavits, declarations or suggestions of under table dealings...we can just play cricket...what a novel thought:confused:

Should APW get up in the big one it will surely go down as a win tinged with illegitemacy. Just being in the GF is a slap in the face to every club who's done the yard hards to compete at the highest level through honest toil. A sad indictment on the VTCA - they should be thoroughly embarassed.

Southern Son why should the VTCA be embarrassed ?? Both YC and APW have followed the same path as other clubs and completed their affidavit's, otherwise the comp would not have let them play finals. The VTCA have made it clear that there is a process in place in regards to Professional players and that they are serious about enforcing a system that works. This is not going to happen over night. Maybe you need to put your hand up with suggestions and an offer to help do your part to move the comp forward ?! Somehow I doubt it will be forthcoming, as it is far too easy to sit behind a pseudonym and take cheap shots !!

Not Just Empty Words;334984 said:
Southern Son why should the VTCA be embarrassed ?? Both YC and APW have followed the same path as other clubs and completed their affidavit's, otherwise the comp would not have let them play finals. The VTCA have made it clear that there is a process in place in regards to Professional players and that they are serious about enforcing a system that works. This is not going to happen over night. Maybe you need to put your hand up with suggestions and an offer to help do your part to move the comp forward ?! Somehow I doubt it will be forthcoming, as it is far too easy to sit behind a pseudonym and take cheap shots !!

Well if you think the affidavit solution will somehow be the 'system that works' than you need to wipe the sand from your head. Let's be honest, the VTCA is a toothless tiger and are paying lip service to the issue by implementing this. By their own admission rorting/under the table payments etc are almost impossible to prove, so effectively the affidavits are not worth the paper they're signed on. Cheating (and let's not mince words because that's what it is) has become so entrenched in this comp that I'm sure dishonest clubs would barely have raised a sweat in signing a false document. Why wouldn't they when there's next to no chance of any recourse or consequences?

I don't pretend to have the answers but surely some sort of points sytems, whereby money is taken out of the equation, needs to be implemented. It's not good enough for the VTCA to throw it's collective hands in the air and say it's too hard, as they have at recent meetings. Why is it too hard? I'm sure it's not easy and is not perfect, but I'd prefer to take the lesser of two evils anyday if it means a more level playing field.

The VTCA stated that 41 players were requested to provide affidavits stating they are not being paid. I know not one individual was asked to sign one at the Snr Div club I play for- can YC or APW claim the same?

ImpartialOnlooker;334557 said:
Surely not! The Yc and APW boys will pipe up im sure!

Looks like the SOOKS from the south have its like feeding time at our
house when all the boys are home together,the one who always misses
out all was SOOKS,as i say Bad luck 1st in helps themselves?:D

Southern Son. You were either at the meetings and not listening, or you were not present and subsequently misinformed. At no point did anyone at those meetings say that "it is too hard" or words even echoing that sentiment. What was said is that the current system has flaws, as does any other system ie salary cap or points system. Also mentioned at the last meeting was that a Points system was in the final stages of development and would be put to clubs shortly for their input. Again, were you not listening ??!! Asking clubs to sign affidavit has on at least 3 occasions been explained as a starting point, by no means a finishing point.
Just a question....why not take the current developments as a positive step in the right direction by the exec ?? Or is it just too easy to take the cheap shots from a distance. If you want to help in the development of any matter of the VTCA , then please feel free to put your hand up.
The qualification for being requested to sign an individual affidavit was made clear at the meeting of presidents and secretaries 2 weeks ago, your club is obviously one of those that had no players fall into the requirement.

Not Just Empty Words;335074 said:
Southern Son. You were either at the meetings and not listening, or you were not present and subsequently misinformed. At no point did anyone at those meetings say that "it is too hard" or words even echoing that sentiment. What was said is that the current system has flaws, as does any other system ie salary cap or points system. Also mentioned at the last meeting was that a Points system was in the final stages of development and would be put to clubs shortly for their input. Again, were you not listening ??!! Asking clubs to sign affidavit has on at least 3 occasions been explained as a starting point, by no means a finishing point.
Just a question....why not take the current developments as a positive step in the right direction by the exec ?? Or is it just too easy to take the cheap shots from a distance. If you want to help in the development of any matter of the VTCA , then please feel free to put your hand up.
The qualification for being requested to sign an individual affidavit was made clear at the meeting of presidents and secretaries 2 weeks ago, your club is obviously one of those that had no players fall into the requirement.

Did I use quotation marks around 'it's too hard'? - It was not a direct quote attributed to anyone but rather summing up the attitude of the VTCA as I saw it. I was in attendence at both the most recent match committee & Pres/Sec meeting and on each occassion the points system was summarily dismissed. No reasons outlined to say why it wouldn't work or if it's ever been considered by the VTCA. A proposed points system was not raised at the match committee meeting (you can read the minutes to refresh your confused memory - http://www.vtca.asn.au/files/1/files/summary of minutes 18 feb 09.pdf) and nor was it at the South meeting held at Bentleigh. If such a proposal was put forward at the North meeting and is in the 'final stages of development' than perhaps you could enlighten us on the details?

Is the affidavits a 'step in right direction'? Of course it is, but the proof will be in the pudding. I hope I'm wrong, but this measure won't catch anyone out. It wont do anything other than briefly put the wind up a few clubs. The VTCA has been reactive, as opposed to proactive and in my opinion it's only in response to increasing club disquiet that they have been forced to do this. They have to be seen to be doing something and like everyone I'll be curious to see what the 'finishing point' will be.

Not sure what the point of your last paragraph is. I'm very clear on what the requirements for signing individual affidavits are. I'm also glad that our club didn't 'qualify' as you put it. 'Coming under suspicion' is a better way of describing it.

Having a 'cheap shot'? - It's called having an opinion mate. It's what this forum is all about. Does that oblige me to run for the exec? Well if that's the case I guess the exec will be overwhelmed with nominees from this forum next season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back