VTCA Season 2019/20

Lots of controversy over the VTCA's request last Wednesday to lay the covers. Some clubs have told me they simply could not comply at such short notice and others that even if they could, they were not prepared due to gale-force winds, to risk injury to their members in attempting to comply. This is a view with which I entirely agree. We are local community cricket clubs -- we do not have instant resources on tap to comply with requests such as this. The VTCA needs to get real in respect to their requests imo. Your comments will be much appreciated.

Being a 65 club comp these days no reasonable person would expect running it would be easy. I think the only the only alternative organisation with the resources to run a comp of this size would be Cricket Victoria. If it has any interest in doing so I haven't heard about it.

Being a 65 club comp these days no reasonable person would expect running it would be easy. I think the only the only alternative organisation with the resources to run a comp of this size would be Cricket Victoria. If it has any interest in doing so I haven't heard about it.
They had the chance , but the dictatorship won out.

Did anyone hear about the issue between Ycc and Druids yesterday? Apparantly YCC named big Lawford to play despite the fact he is overseas at the moment. They then won the toss and bowled and said they would need a sub and the Druids captain refused and then the umpires over turned it and allowed it.
What’s everyone thoughts?
I would of thought the Druids was well within his rights to refuse knowing that he wasn’t even in the country. Pretty weak from the umpires

Did anyone hear about the issue between Ycc and Druids yesterday? Apparantly YCC named big Lawford to play despite the fact he is overseas at the moment. They then won the toss and bowled and said they would need a sub and the Druids captain refused and then the umpires over turned it and allowed it.
What’s everyone thoughts?
I would of thought the Druids was well within his rights to refuse knowing that he wasn’t even in the country. Pretty weak from the umpires
[/QUOTE

As the Clubbers knew Lawford would not be available on day one they at the very least should have brought along their own sub and taken the chance of the umps approving him subbing in the event of of Druids having objected. What they did was sharp practice, very poor form and disrespectful of the other team. Well, the precedent has now been by the umpires and it may one day come back to bight the Clubbers. Serves them right if it does. Druids will not forget this episode.

Umpires should of knocked it back if they knew he was on holidays. i believe the VTCA umpires director was one of the umpires as well.
Fully agree. Surely the umps knew the reason for Lawford's unavailability. Well, the precedent has now been set and particularly so if one of the umps was the director. Clubs would be well advised to remember this decision.
I am equally displeased with the fact clubs were directed on Wednesday afternoon to lay their full-size cover. I suggest clubs ask the VTCA executive if, in the event of gale-force winds (as was the case at the time of the VTCA's direction), a club's decision not to comply due to imposing those tasked with carrying out the direction at unacceptable risk of injury, is an acceptable reason for non-compliance. I know a number of clubs did not comply for that reason and others could not in any event have complied as they could not muster the required numbers needed at the time of the request. Clubs would be well-advised to seek clarification from the VTCA on its attitude to such matters. I hope they are sympathetically inclined. but clubs will not know unless they ask (and you can longer do so at delegates'meetings as they have been scrapped).
I am aware a very influential municipal councillor in my area who has a long association with sports issues is of the view the VTCA & the VSDCA should observe the same risk management standards as would Council, and this would have meant it would not have approved of the covers being laid on Wednesday in his municipality. The cricket community should not take for granted we are using council-owned facilities as they have the power to exercise greater control, should they so decide, in respect to matters such as the conduct of appropriate risk-management procedures on its facilities.

Fully agree. Surely the umps knew the reason for Lawford's unavailability. Well, the precedent has now been set and particularly so if one of the umps was the director. Clubs would be well advised to remember this decision.
I am equally displeased with the fact clubs were directed on Wednesday afternoon to lay their full-size cover. I suggest clubs ask the VTCA executive if, in the event of gale-force winds (as was the case at the time of the VTCA's direction), a club's decision not to comply due to imposing those tasked with carrying out the direction at unacceptable risk of injury, is an acceptable reason for non-compliance. I know a number of clubs did not comply for that reason and others could not in any event have complied as they could not muster the required numbers needed at the time of the request. Clubs would be well-advised to seek clarification from the VTCA on its attitude to such matters. I hope they are sympathetically inclined. but clubs will not know unless they ask (and you can longer do so at delegates'meetings as they have been scrapped).
I am aware a very influential municipal councillor in my area who has a long association with sports issues is of the view the VTCA & the VSDCA should observe the same risk management standards as would Council, and this would have meant it would not have approved of the covers being laid on Wednesday in his municipality. The cricket community should not take for granted we are using council-owned facilities as they have the power to exercise greater control, should they so decide, in respect to matters such as the conduct of appropriate risk-management procedures on its facilities.
Turn it up , you must work for a council . Covers can be managed even in wind . We are here to play cricket and covers at times help that.

Turn it up , you must work for a council . Covers can be managed even in wind . We are here to play cricket and covers at times help that.
No, I have never worked for a municipal council and I suggest you refer to posts today by B&GOCC and me on the big cricket subbies website. You are quite welcome to come over next time the VTCA instructs the laying of a full-size cover at the table I curate. It's "only" an 8 pitch table. Am I correct in assuming you have no intention of ever accepting my invitation? I await your reply.

In cricket, a player may not be substituted except for injury. The substitute may not bowl or bat. ... If a player leaves the field for any other reason, no substitute player is allowed.

It was definitely not the case Lawford was injured during the course of the game as he was overseas at its commencement.

No, I have never worked for a municipal council and I suggest you refer to posts today by B&GOCC and me on the big cricket subbies website. You are quite welcome to come over next time the VTCA instructs the laying of a full-size cover at the table I curate. It's "only" an 8 pitch table. Am I correct in assuming you have no intention of ever accepting my invitation? I await your reply.
I've had many years of using covers from Premier to VTCA , I don't need to travel over there to find out

I believe clubs have been invoiced by the VTCA for Raffle Tickets not sold by the clubs for their recent charity match.
Thoughts on this. Most clubs have been doing their own fundraising locked in before the VTCA one and find this unbelievable expecting clubs or players to dig deep again .Were clubs ever asked if they want to take tickets to sell?

Back