VTCA Season 2019/20

I believe clubs have been invoiced by the VTCA for Raffle Tickets not sold by the clubs for their recent charity match.
Thoughts on this. Most clubs have been doing their own fundraising locked in before the VTCA one and find this unbelievable expecting clubs or players to dig deep again .Were clubs ever asked if they want to take tickets to sell?
Your charity is mandatory! Bloody hell, make them earn the money on the dunking machine.

I believe clubs have been invoiced by the VTCA for Raffle Tickets not sold by the clubs for their recent charity match.
Thoughts on this. Most clubs have been doing their own fundraising locked in before the VTCA one and find this unbelievable expecting clubs or players to dig deep again .Were clubs ever asked if they want to take tickets to sell?
I personally dug deep weeks before by making an on-line contribution to one of the Vic Govt's recommended charities, but was happy to purchase some tickets from the raffle book hand-delivered by the VTCA's secretary to the club where I am its curator. The club's president told me the VTCA dictated that the club would be billed $100 in the event of the tickets being unsold, or something to that effect. Your own club's executive will, I am sure, know exactly the terms of what seems to me to have been an ultimatum. I am not sufficiently well informed on the matter to form a definite opinion, but if it was an ultimatum, I suggest the VTCA over-stepped its authority. There is much concern the VTCA's modus operandi in general is dictatorial rather than consultative. That said, what alternative turf pitch competition these days can a VTCA club look to meet the clubs needs? The VTCA executive will, of course, be well aware of its monopolistic position.

I personally dug deep weeks before by making an on-line contribution to one of the Vic Govt's recommended charities, but was happy to purchase some tickets from the raffle book hand-delivered by the VTCA's secretary to the club where I am its curator. The club's president told me the VTCA dictated that the club would be billed $100 in the event of the tickets being unsold, or something to that effect. Your own club's executive will, I am sure, know exactly the terms of what seems to me to have been an ultimatum. I am not sufficiently well informed on the matter to form a definite opinion, but if it was an ultimatum, I suggest the VTCA over-stepped its authority. There is much concern the VTCA's modus operandi in general is dictatorial rather than consultative. That said, what alternative turf pitch competition these days can a VTCA club look to meet the clubs needs? The VTCA executive will, of course, be well aware of its monopolistic position.
When will you realise it's a dictatorship .

The amount of clubs who voted against the salary cap who would not get anywhere near the cap was amazing. If your only paying peanuts and the salary cap is higher it's in your best interests to vote for it. Was an amazing result really.

The amount of clubs who voted against the salary cap who would not get anywhere near the cap was amazing. If your only paying peanuts and the salary cap is higher it's in your best interests to vote for it. Was an amazing result really.

I think the "no" was predicated on the salary cap in the form and rules presented.

I think most clubs would be in favour of some kind of salary cap arrangement, however the rules and procedures including the proposed caps for each grade + having the VTCA administer would make it detrimental to the competition.

You also have to be cognizant that no other cricket competitions have salary caps, so you are potentially putting VTCA clubs at a disadvantage relative to other competitions when recruiting and retaining players if you implement a cap.

I think the "no" was predicated on the salary cap in the form and rules presented.

I think most clubs would be in favour of some kind of salary cap arrangement, however the rules and procedures including the proposed caps for each grade + having the VTCA administer would make it detrimental to the competition.

You also have to be cognizant that no other cricket competitions have salary caps, so you are potentially putting VTCA clubs at a disadvantage relative to other competitions when recruiting and retaining players if you implement a cap.

All the local footy comps have a cap. The reality is there is one turf competition the VTCA competes with for players and that's sub district who are likely to bring in a cap soon anyway. We are not competing with district clubs they pay nowhere near the amount of money of the top VTCA clubs people play there to hopefully play for Victoria and play at the best standard possible. I don't think what was proposed is perfect but it's far better than nothing. It was funny everyone in the room laughed when Yarraville Club voted no as they know they are spending lots of money on players but clubs who don't spend hardly any money who laughed at that didn't vote for it makes absolutely no sense. Something is better than nothing and no salary cap system will be perfect. It's a shame it didn't get up money ruins local sport we see it time and again but no one wants to change it.

Whats happened to Greenvale, they were very strong a few years ago...

They merged with North Melbourne District club and the whole operation is based out of Greenvale. They are now trying to run a district cricket club with four grades and trying to be competitive in the VTCA at the same time. It's clearly not working as all there turf teams are all bottom or near bottom. Don't think it's possible to run a District operation while running a VTCA operation at the same time. Something has to give at some point.

All the local footy comps have a cap. The reality is there is one turf competition the VTCA competes with for players and that's sub district who are likely to bring in a cap soon anyway. We are not competing with district clubs they pay nowhere near the amount of money of the top VTCA clubs people play there to hopefully play for Victoria and play at the best standard possible. I don't think what was proposed is perfect but it's far better than nothing. It was funny everyone in the room laughed when Yarraville Club voted no as they know they are spending lots of money on players but clubs who don't spend hardly any money who laughed at that didn't vote for it makes absolutely no sense. Something is better than nothing and no salary cap system will be perfect. It's a shame it didn't get up money ruins local sport we see it time and again but no one wants to change it.

I think you will find there are many other cricket comps which the VTCA competes with for top level talent especially overseas players.

I would suggest VTCA are in competition for local players in the 23-27 year old and above market as, these players choose whether to play at that level (and intensity of work with other commitments) or whether they would rather play local for a bit of cash with mates. You should also consider some players might give cricket away and focus on footy.

The rules proposed are draconian and will cause more issues than it will solve and have many unintended consequences which have not been thought through properly especially in regards to internationals and the treatment of accommodation etc.

In regards to football leagues having them, yes you are correct all leagues have them, but I would suggest that they are not fully working as intended, given that the big clubs like Deer Park etc work around the rules which actually disadvantages the smaller clubs more. YCCC will have the means to circumvent the proposed arrangements anyway.

Divisional structure will change so that there will not be a split division under senior division. THus allowing only 1 up and 1 down for promotion relegation
Any mention of Cricket Vic structure or the VTCA Charity Raffle tickets,invoces to clubs for unsold tickets?

I think you will find there are many other cricket comps which the VTCA competes with for top level talent especially overseas players.

I would suggest VTCA are in competition for local players in the 23-27 year old and above market as, these players choose whether to play at that level (and intensity of work with other commitments) or whether they would rather play local for a bit of cash with mates. You should also consider some players might give cricket away and focus on footy.

The rules proposed are draconian and will cause more issues than it will solve and have many unintended consequences which have not been thought through properly especially in regards to internationals and the treatment of accommodation etc.

In regards to football leagues having them, yes you are correct all leagues have them, but I would suggest that they are not fully working as intended, given that the big clubs like Deer Park etc work around the rules which actually disadvantages the smaller clubs more. YCCC will have the means to circumvent the proposed arrangements anyway.

Nothing will ever be perfect. There will never be a salary cap then and yes clubs will always find ways around it. That's true of anything. Local players between 23-27 are either good enough to play District or they play local. Lots give away cricket to play footy and local cricket clubs aren't competing with that crazy money. Agree on the internationals I don't think accommodation provided free of charge by a club should be included as this is not costing clubs money or an advantage bought out by money. Most young internationals are happy to come for airfares, accommodation and an opportunity for a job at the going rate. Anything above that clubs are paying would not be a lot anyway and can be included in the cap with the airfare. Salary cap rules are about saving clubs from themselves as much as anything else.

Nothing will ever be perfect. There will never be a salary cap then and yes clubs will always find ways around it. That's true of anything. Local players between 23-27 are either good enough to play District or they play local. Lots give away cricket to play footy and local cricket clubs aren't competing with that crazy money. Agree on the internationals I don't think accommodation provided free of charge by a club should be included as this is not costing clubs money or an advantage bought out by money. Most young internationals are happy to come for airfares, accommodation and an opportunity for a job at the going rate. Anything above that clubs are paying would not be a lot anyway and can be included in the cap with the airfare. Salary cap rules are about saving clubs from themselves as much as anything else.

Which clubs need saving from themselves? Most clubs are well run and able to generate enough cash to cover expenses. The problem isn't as bad as football clubs where some clubs are spending upwards of $400k on player payments before you get to other running costs.

Which clubs need saving from themselves? Most clubs are well run and able to generate enough cash to cover expenses. The problem isn't as bad as football clubs where some clubs are spending upwards of $400k on player payments before you get to other running costs.

Football clubs are generating more money if there turning over 4 million they might be able to afford 400k. As cricket clubs we don't turn over anything like that some clubs could go to the wall over a playing budget as little as 15k. I would say there are plenty of cricket clubs losing money each year and I bet all have some sort of player payments. It's not right to say all clubs income is covering expenses plenty of clubs make losses on years. Would be interesting to know of the 64 VTCA clubs how many turn a profit this year. I would bet my bottom dollar though it wont be 64.

Back