Vicious and Well Directed;285840 said:
And Snr A:
Hoppers V Druids
St Bernards v MHSOB
Chelt v Bentleigh
Beaumaris v Ajax
CYs v Brighton
United v Strathmore

- Hoppers to win at home, their batting is too strong. Big game for both sides.
- St Bernards to continue MHS's poor run who might have forgotten how to win
- Bentleigh to get up and and all in brawl to errupt late in the day
- Maccabi to get over the line but not if they can't take 10 wickets
- Willy to continue on in APW's 07/08 footsteps, Brighton overrated
- Strathmore to win comfortably and can still be a force even if it's just ruining some teams finals dreams later in the season

Re: VTCA Thread

Vicious and Well Directed;285840 said:
And Snr A:
Hoppers V Druids
St Bernards v MHSOB
Chelt v Bentleigh
Beaumaris v Ajax
CYs v Brighton
United v Strathmore

- Strathmore to win comfortably and can still be a force even if it's just ruining some teams finals dreams later in the season

Cash Man;286231 said:

Why do you say Brighton is overrated Cashman?

Cash Man;286231 said:

Red Ink No.8;286260 said:

Just don't think their second place on the ladder reflects their true strength. They haven't beaten anyone in the top half of the ladder and they got lucky with an outright win against beaumaris on a poor deck (as opposed to thumping an opposition for an outright like Willy have). They have much the same line up as they had last year where they missed the finals. Strathmore also have much the same team as last year and haven't won a game. Just think there's a lot more cricket to be played in Senior A before the ladder takes true shape.

Red Ink No.8;286260 said:

Just don't think their second place on the ladder reflects their true strength. They haven't beaten anyone in the top half of the ladder and they got lucky with an outright win against beaumaris on a poor deck (as opposed to thumping an opposition for an outright like Willy have). They have much the same line up as they had last year where they missed the finals. Strathmore also have much the same team as last year and haven't won a game. Just think there's a lot more cricket to be played in Senior A before the ladder takes true shape.

Cash Man;286267 said:

So cast your eye forward and give us your thoughts on how the ladder will shape up by season's end

Cash Man;286267 said:

So cast your eye forward and give us your thoughts on how the ladder will shape up by season's end

Vicious and Well Directed;286270 said:

Ok, putting my head on the chopping block here but for the good of this thread here we go - Ladders at end of Round 11 will be:

Senior Div:
APW
YCCC
Sth Caul
RPB

Keilor
McKinnon
Spotwood
Doutta
Old Essendon
Hampton
Altona Nth
Youlden Parkville

Senior A:
Willy
Hoppers
Druids
Brighton

Maccabi (sorry Laurie)
St Bernards
Strathmore
Bentleigh
Beaumaris
MHSOB
Cheltenham
United

Vicious and Well Directed;286270 said:

Ok, putting my head on the chopping block here but for the good of this thread here we go - Ladders at end of Round 11 will be:

Senior Div:
APW
YCCC
Sth Caul
RPB

Keilor
McKinnon
Spotwood
Doutta
Old Essendon
Hampton
Altona Nth
Youlden Parkville

Senior A:
Willy
Hoppers
Druids
Brighton

Maccabi (sorry Laurie)
St Bernards
Strathmore
Bentleigh
Beaumaris
MHSOB
Cheltenham
United

Cash Man;286309 said:

Senior Div:
APW
YCCC
Sth Caul
RPB

Keilor
McKinnon
Spotwood
Doutta
Old Essendon
Hampton
Altona Nth
Youlden Parkville

Senior A:
Willy
Hoppers
Druids
Brighton

Maccabi (sorry Laurie)
St Bernards
Strathmore
Bentleigh
Beaumaris
MHSOB
Cheltenham
United

Not a bad assumption.
I'd have to agree although your comment on Douttas "having no players left" , there's still 9 players from last year. Just playing terribly as a team.

Cash Man;286309 said:

Senior Div:
APW
YCCC
Sth Caul
RPB

Keilor
McKinnon
Spotwood
Doutta
Old Essendon
Hampton
Altona Nth
Youlden Parkville

Senior A:
Willy
Hoppers
Druids
Brighton

Maccabi (sorry Laurie)
St Bernards
Strathmore
Bentleigh
Beaumaris
MHSOB
Cheltenham
United

Not a bad assumption.
I'd have to agree although your comment on Douttas "having no players left" , there's still 9 players from last year. Just playing terribly as a team.

Cash Man;286309 said:

Senior Div:
APW
YCCC
Sth Caul
RPB

Keilor
McKinnon
Spotwood
Doutta
Old Essendon
Hampton
Altona Nth
Youlden Parkville

quite a guess
reckon could be very accurate though i wouldnt count keilor or mckinnon out...
keilor really stood up to yarraville club, even though S.Porter made 150, u still need players to bat with u in order to make those runs

never underestimate the power of an upset either
it has happened before and will again, who the victim is however will just have to wait and see

will be interesting watching this top 4 go against each other but

Cash Man;286309 said:

Senior Div:
APW
YCCC
Sth Caul
RPB

Keilor
McKinnon
Spotwood
Doutta
Old Essendon
Hampton
Altona Nth
Youlden Parkville

quite a guess
keilor really stood up to yarraville club, even though S.Porter made 150, u still need players to bat with u in order to make those runs

it has happened before and will again, who the victim is however will just have to wait and see

Cash Man;286309 said:

Senior A:
Willy
Hoppers
Druids
Brighton

Maccabi (sorry Laurie)
St Bernards
Strathmore
Bentleigh
Beaumaris
MHSOB
Cheltenham
United

I am confused Cash Man, you said Brighton were overrated but you have them in the 4. I think StBernards are playing really well and are quite an even team.

Cash Man;286309 said:

Senior A:
Willy
Hoppers
Druids
Brighton

Maccabi (sorry Laurie)
St Bernards
Strathmore
Bentleigh
Beaumaris
MHSOB
Cheltenham
United

I am confused Cash Man, you said Brighton were overrated but you have them in the 4. I think StBernards are playing really well and are quite an even team.

Red Ink No.8;286873 said:

I reckon Cash Man in to the money for the majority of them (no pun intended) although I reckon Beauy could slip very close to the relegation zone.

As for St Bernard's being an 'even team', I would have thought they are the team most reliant on their best player. No other team relies on one bloke to both make runs and get wickets as much as they rely Osbourne. No disrespect to the onther 10 blokes that walk out with him, but they are biggest one player team in the grade.

Red Ink No.8;286873 said:

I reckon Cash Man in to the money for the majority of them (no pun intended) although I reckon Beauy could slip very close to the relegation zone.

As for St Bernard's being an 'even team', I would have thought they are the team most reliant on their best player. No other team relies on one bloke to both make runs and get wickets as much as they rely Osbourne. No disrespect to the onther 10 blokes that walk out with him, but they are biggest one player team in the grade.

cherried_lid;286366 said:
quite a guess

We could have seen that last week if there was no washout. YC chasing Keilors 280 odd and RPB chasing A/Wests 215 or so. May have given us an indication where sides were at.

Sth Caul have already knocked off A/West - but could be different if they meet in a final if the deck is good.

I think you could be right with the top 4 though - will just depend on order.

cherried_lid;286366 said:
quite a guess

We could have seen that last week if there was no washout. YC chasing Keilors 280 odd and RPB chasing A/Wests 215 or so. May have given us an indication where sides were at.

Sth Caul have already knocked off A/West - but could be different if they meet in a final if the deck is good.

I think you could be right with the top 4 though - will just depend on order.

Vicious and Well Directed;286880 said:

I agree that Osbourne is above the other 10 but the other 10 ALL contribute in some way, that is what I was trying to say. The most reliant one man team would be Druids wouldn't it? Without Gallage they would be chasing quite a few more each week.

I agree that Osbourne is above the other 10 but the other 10 ALL contribute in some way, that is what I was trying to say. The most reliant one man team would be Druids wouldn't it? Without Gallage they would be chasing quite a few more each week.

Understand were you're coming from. But
I would've thought their opening bowler G MAcMAhon? would also be an intergral part of their set up, for mine his is their best bowler and has done well over the last 2 years.

I would've thought their opening bowler G MAcMAhon? would also be an intergral part of their set up, for mine his is their best bowler and has done well over the last 2 years.

ROY G BIV;286926 said:

From what I've seen of Mullens, he should be their best bowler - he should be the best in the comp, great story about him going around where he knocked out a bloke cold through the grill of his helmet, will need to confirm it and get more details though.

McMahon is decent, but he's just another medium pacer and is leading the wickets given he's bowled in 5 innings as opposed to some others who bowled in 3. Granted you still need to get wickets in those innings. Crux of it is, that for the last 3 years he has been their leading runs scorer and finished second in their wickets (each to a different bloke, none of whom were McMahon)... obviously not spreading the load evenly. Goog bloke and good player, but more important to them than any other player is to another other team.

Having said all that, they'll be stiff to miss finals.

ROY G BIV;286926 said:

From what I've seen of Mullens, he should be their best bowler - he should be the best in the comp, great story about him going around where he knocked out a bloke cold through the grill of his helmet, will need to confirm it and get more details though.

McMahon is decent, but he's just another medium pacer and is leading the wickets given he's bowled in 5 innings as opposed to some others who bowled in 3. Granted you still need to get wickets in those innings. Crux of it is, that for the last 3 years he has been their leading runs scorer and finished second in their wickets (each to a different bloke, none of whom were McMahon)... obviously not spreading the load evenly. Goog bloke and good player, but more important to them than any other player is to another other team.

Having said all that, they'll be stiff to miss finals.

Cash Man;286309 said:

Senior Div:
APW
YCCC
Sth Caul
RPB

Keilor
McKinnon
Spotwood
Doutta
Old Essendon
Hampton
Altona Nth
Youlden Parkville

Senior A:
Willy
Hoppers
Druids
Brighton

Maccabi (sorry Laurie)
St Bernards
Strathmore
Bentleigh
Beaumaris
MHSOB
Cheltenham
United

Pretty fair effort on just about all accounts...My only major issue would be Snr Div top 4 - I reckon Keilor a clearly a better side than Sth Caul who I reckon have been very lucky so far this year..Won two crucial tosses that decided games against Hamp and APW...Don't get me wrong definite top half of the competition but give me Keilor for the four any day..

Cash Man;286309 said:

Senior Div:
APW
YCCC
Sth Caul
RPB

Keilor
McKinnon
Spotwood
Doutta
Old Essendon
Hampton
Altona Nth
Youlden Parkville

Senior A:
Willy
Hoppers
Druids
Brighton

Maccabi (sorry Laurie)
St Bernards
Strathmore
Bentleigh
Beaumaris
MHSOB
Cheltenham
United

Pretty fair effort on just about all accounts...My only major issue would be Snr Div top 4 - I reckon Keilor a clearly a better side than Sth Caul who I reckon have been very lucky so far this year..Won two crucial tosses that decided games against Hamp and APW...Don't get me wrong definite top half of the competition but give me Keilor for the four any day..

onlyonepaidpro@clubbers;286982 said:
That's why Sth Caul beat Keilor isn't it...? :rolleyes:

onlyonepaidpro@clubbers;286982 said:

Not Out;287326 said:

Exactly, that Keilor fan is getting a tad excited. Fact is Keilor are finally blooding some youth after 4 years of trying to buy a flag through a lot of ex district players, some of whom aren't there any more. Sth Caulfield have made a big call recruiuting Mullaney this year and he too deserves to be scrutinised as a paid player and the first big recruit Sth Caulfield have brought in.

Porter is probably the best bat in the comp, I rate him more technically correct than Baker and i'm glad the scores are starting to pile up. Hutchinson is a very, very good bowler, but apart from these two their 2nd string and younger players may end up being their downfall come the crunch games.

I'll be only too happy to be proven incorrect but that is just my view at this stage.

There is a massive, massive gap in the top six and the bottom six, but I'm putting a line through McKinnon so realistically only 5 can make it.

And one final question - when was the last time a team won the flag and was then relegated a season later? Are Doutta in trouble, or are they simply yet to click into gear?

Not Out;287326 said:

Exactly, that Keilor fan is getting a tad excited. Fact is Keilor are finally blooding some youth after 4 years of trying to buy a flag through a lot of ex district players, some of whom aren't there any more. Sth Caulfield have made a big call recruiuting Mullaney this year and he too deserves to be scrutinised as a paid player and the first big recruit Sth Caulfield have brought in.

Porter is probably the best bat in the comp, I rate him more technically correct than Baker and i'm glad the scores are starting to pile up. Hutchinson is a very, very good bowler, but apart from these two their 2nd string and younger players may end up being their downfall come the crunch games.

I'll be only too happy to be proven incorrect but that is just my view at this stage.

There is a massive, massive gap in the top six and the bottom six, but I'm putting a line through McKinnon so realistically only 5 can make it.

And one final question - when was the last time a team won the flag and was then relegated a season later? Are Doutta in trouble, or are they simply yet to click into gear?

NorthClubsDontPayPlayers;287335 said:

I agree that Keilor prob rely on these 2 a lot - but they are pretty good players to have! I also think that everyone is going to have different views on who's the best bat/bowler etc, and i think its too hard a call to make, but Porter is in the top bracket easily.

If Keilor do make finals though and he fails - do they have enough support?? they didnt last year with the extras like Marcy, Neville, Bugjea etc.

I agree that Keilor prob rely on these 2 a lot - but they are pretty good players to have! I also think that everyone is going to have different views on who's the best bat/bowler etc, and i think its too hard a call to make, but Porter is in the top bracket easily.

If Keilor do make finals though and he fails - do they have enough support?? they didnt last year with the extras like Marcy, Neville, Bugjea etc.

Exactly, that Keilor fan is getting a tad excited.
Porter is probably the best bat in the comp, I rate him more technically correct than Baker and i'm glad the scores are starting to pile up. I'll be only too happy to be proven incorrect but that is just my view at this stage.

Your comment about Porter being the "best bat in the comp" made me look at the VTCA stats to see if I was dreaming...yes Porter is very very good and he may be more technically correct however the stats show...
From 2005/06 (when Porter started) season till now...
Porter has a total of 1622 runs @ 39.6 (7x 50's and 2 x 100's) ...
Baker has a total of 2487 runs @ 63.8 (12 x 50's and 10 x 100's)
Yes, its great to see Porter get into some consistant form but I think your longer term memory needs a check up;).

Porter is probably the best bat in the comp, I rate him more technically correct than Baker and i'm glad the scores are starting to pile up. I'll be only too happy to be proven incorrect but that is just my view at this stage.

Your comment about Porter being the "best bat in the comp" made me look at the VTCA stats to see if I was dreaming...yes Porter is very very good and he may be more technically correct however the stats show...
Yes, its great to see Porter get into some consistant form but I think your longer term memory needs a check up;).

Excalibur;287552 said:

I wasn't really judging my statement on total runs scored, and no where in my post did I say Porter had scored more runs than Baker. Merely my opinion that he was a more aesthetically pleasing bat, with less reliance on the leg side play than Bakes. That is not meant as a disrespect to Baker, who let's face it has been an absolute legend with his run scoring since he came in in 03.

And one fact they do share is their performance or lack there of in Grand Finals. Up until last year Baker had had a shocker with a pair and a few ordinary innings' along the way. Porter has had two failures in GFs yet made 100 and a 60 in the semi's.

Excalibur;287552 said:

I wasn't really judging my statement on total runs scored, and no where in my post did I say Porter had scored more runs than Baker. Merely my opinion that he was a more aesthetically pleasing bat, with less reliance on the leg side play than Bakes. That is not meant as a disrespect to Baker, who let's face it has been an absolute legend with his run scoring since he came in in 03.

And one fact they do share is their performance or lack there of in Grand Finals. Up until last year Baker had had a shocker with a pair and a few ordinary innings' along the way. Porter has had two failures in GFs yet made 100 and a 60 in the semi's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back