West Indies in Australia

Re: West Indies in Australia

Unless the Windies have a second innings collapse, this intriguing match is going to finish in a draw. Typical bloody Adelaide Test. I'm holding you responsible, a for effort. :mad:

Personally I still think Australia will be relatively happy with their position, despite the fact we should have got 500.

The shot Clarke played to get out was disgraceful, an absolute gift of a wicket, that right there is why so many people think he is over-rated.

The a lot of teams in the third innings at Adelaide collapse - Australia will try and bowl the West Indies out for under 200 - but they are going to need the likes of Johnson and Bollinger to drastically reign in their run-rates becaues if we can't get wickets, then we are going to need the Windies to bat as long as possible to give ourselves the best chance of saving the game.

The pitch is still playing very well - so if we had to bat out the last day for a draw then we should be able to do that.

I'd rather be in our position then the Windies, because the Windies will know that a traditional calypso collapso will lose them this match.

I'm just loving the fact that the Aussies haven't so far matched it with the second lowest ranking Test team.

What do you mean 'matched it', this game looks pretty even to me. The West Indies aren't pushovers - especially in flat conditins - as we saw against England earlier this year.

The Windies could quite easily come out tomorrow and fold - and I think they will.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;379115 said:
What do you mean 'matched it', this game looks pretty even to me. The West Indies aren't pushovers - especially in flat conditins - as we saw against England earlier this year.

The Windies could quite easily come out tomorrow and fold - and I think they will.

I'm just talking not so seriously here.

I absolutely love the West Indies and so far they have won the first innings so I'm ecstatic.

petersiddle09;379119 said:
What happened to fedel edwards
Injured unfortunately

Looks a good test, Australia still easily favourites, but if Gayle can survive half of tomorrow then the West Indies will be way ahead

eddiesmith;379127 said:
Looks a good test, Australia still easily favourites, but if Gayle can survive half of tomorrow then the West Indies will be way ahead

It's Gayle you are talking about here. If he stays in for the first two hours I think they will be about 400 in front :p

Certainly is set up for a terrific Test. Both teams would be going flat out on Day Four for win, one would expect.

Funny with Test cricket these days. We seem to have lots of great battles going down to the wire, interspersed with lop-sided matches ending inside 3 days.

Despite the lowly opposition, a few questions have been asked today of the Australians:
Does Watson have the bottle to deal with what may be thrown up in the Test cauldron? The talent is there, but physically and mentally, he has been exposed too often.
Has Hussey lost his mojo for good? It may be that his one and only bad trot has scarred him beyond repair. He has made runs since, but it hasn't seemed to help. He still does not look like it and cannot get into anything resembling form.

Furthermore:
Clarke once again out to a loose shot when set.
The tail doesn't wag like it used to.

Hussey was disappointing, but he looked alright in Brisbane and he did score 41 here and 60 odd in Brisbane.

If you score 400 + batting second you really shouldn't lose the game, especially when the other team scored 400 as well.

As I said after day 1, Siddle appeared to be carrying an injury, it has now come to light he has a hamstring strain. I just hope he didn't carry this into the match - professional sport is cut-throat and often bowlers will not shed light on their true injury status for fear of missing out and someone taking their spot.

We have now been somewhat inhibited in our attempts at bowling the Windies out and chasing the runs down.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;379143 said:
As I said after day 1, Siddle appeared to be carrying an injury, it has now come to light he has a hamstring strain.

making excuses already are we?

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;379110 said:
Personally I still think Australia will be relatively happy with their position, despite the fact we should have got 500.

The shot Clarke played to get out was disgraceful, an absolute gift of a wicket, that right there is why so many people think he is over-rated.

The a lot of teams in the third innings at Adelaide collapse - Australia will try and bowl the West Indies out for under 200 - but they are going to need the likes of Johnson and Bollinger to drastically reign in their run-rates becaues if we can't get wickets, then we are going to need the Windies to bat as long as possible to give ourselves the best chance of saving the game.

The pitch is still playing very well - so if we had to bat out the last day for a draw then we should be able to do that.

I'd rather be in our position then the Windies, because the Windies will know that a traditional calypso collapso will lose them this match.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;379143 said:
Hussey was disappointing, but he looked alright in Brisbane and he did score 41 here and 60 odd in Brisbane.

If you score 400 + batting second you really shouldn't lose the game, especially when the other team scored 400 as well.

As I said after day 1, Siddle appeared to be carrying an injury, it has now come to light he has a hamstring strain. I just hope he didn't carry this into the match - professional sport is cut-throat and often bowlers will not shed light on their true injury status for fear of missing out and someone taking their spot.

We have now been somewhat inhibited in our attempts at bowling the Windies out and chasing the runs down.

If Siddle's injured then you can forget about skittling the Windies for anything less than 200 because that won't happen with the attack down a pace bowler. West Indies will probably bat for all of day four and get a lead of around 350-ish and declare early on five, giving them just less than a full day to bowl Australia out.

It certainly is good though to see the Windies making a game of it, I didn't expect them to perform this well after their efforts in the first test.

swghayward79;379149 said:
making excuses already are we?

Not making excuses at all - I tipped it early on Day 1 when Siddle was bowling - to me it looked like he was carrying an injury.

A relatively recent example that illustrates my point was the 4th test against India at the SCG in 2003. At the time we had a bowling attack of Bracken, Lee, Gillespie and Williams.

Two of those bowlers in Bracken and Williams were not established bowlers in our line up, while Lee was also one who had been in and out of the side. After the test it came to light that a number of bowlers took injuries into the match which Steve Waugh wasn't aware of because the bowlers were worried about missing out on a chance to establish their place.

At the time the attack was belted to all corners of Sydney and beyond. Not making excuses for the performance, but I know Steve Waugh expressed his frustration later on.

It appears to me that Siddle took an injury into this match - possibly because he knew that Hilfenhaus will return when fit - it has now backfired.

Ljp86;379163 said:
If Siddle's injured then you can forget about skittling the Windies for anything less than 200 because that won't happen with the attack down a pace bowler. West Indies will probably bat for all of day four and get a lead of around 350-ish and declare early on five, giving them just less than a full day to bowl Australia out.

It certainly is good though to see the Windies making a game of it, I didn't expect them to perform this well after their efforts in the first test.

West Indies have a decent batting order - but it is prone to some outlandish collapses with or without Peter Siddle.

Gonna have to be a good chase.

Now comes the test to see if Australia can chase down runs quickly without getting out. They have done fine scoring at 50% strike rates, but what about 60-65% looking to score?

With or without Siddle the West Indies have done a tremendous job and I have been really excited by this match. To see Johnson get his mojo back, Hussey scoring and Bollinger making the most of his chance has really lifted my spirits when you see an opposition that has come from losing within three days to threatening a win.

Gayle is currenty 155 n.o., which might I say it must be my match for predictions because this is what I said would happen :p

The West Indies are probably going to bat for an hour tomorrow, a win for us will almost be totally out of the equation by that stage, I wouldn't mind the chance to chase 330 odd of 105 overs but chasing 330+ off 75 overs @ 4.4 runs an over is a bridge to far.

I'd suggest Australia will focus on playing for the draw, unless they take the last two wickets immediately tomorrow and are chasing 310 off 85 overs. The wicket still seems to be playing quite well - if Australia were to lose then there would be some serious questions asked and I dare so some selection calls.

Australia will be looking for the win, you should always be doing that unless it is impossible.

Just do what Taylor said in commentary today. Play the first couple of hours fairly normal and get yourselves in, then every half hour to an hour after that reassess your position and see if a win is still on the table. Get to the half way point with 8 wickets in hand with a session and a half left, go for it.

Back