What the heck is core training all about anyway?

Re: What the heck is core training all about anyway?

Sorry to call you out but the "Quote" object is not working for me :embarrassed:

Stan,

A Viper Belt is a resistance belt used in high-intensity training; for developing explosive speed in all directions. It has 3 stainless steel anchor points where a flexi-cord can be attached. This cord is made from surgical tubing with a specific elongation. It has a safety belt and safety fasteners and is double stitched, providing a good level of resistance. A serious piece of equipment. [I should get commission!]

Yoga, and/or Pilates, do have a place in your training schedule; they will improve your stability and flexibility but as David says, you do need to spend the majority of your schedule functionally/specifically.

Judo is great for rugby... Kung Fu, Tae Kwon Do, Karate, Boxing possibly better for cricket. Again, think of the movement. You basically need to be performing high intensity moves vertically. That, more or less, puts Tai Chi low down in the options too [but does not eliminate it!]

Swiss balls can be purchased from most sports shops or on the internet but do get a burst resistant one. As a rough guide, if you are below 5'6", you need a 55cm ball, above this a 65cm ball and if you are over 6', a 75cm ball.

Samuel,

Lie on your back, knees bent, feet parallel, flat on the floor, hip width apart. Make sure your knees are always facing up, do not let them fall apart.

Brace your core with neutral spine.

Elbows bent with fingers against your temples, not behind your head. At all times your elbows should form a straight line, from one tip all the way through to the other.

Raise yourself slowly to the count of two, bending only at your hips. Your back and neck should remain in line at all times, that means no curve, as if there was a board behind you. Your elbows must not come forward.

Breathe out as you come up, in as you lower. You need to keep to a steady pace and not use momentum at any point.

Keep your feet on the ground at all times.

Enjoy!

Manee,

Shadow boxing, if performed correctly, is also excellent training for foot movement and agility at the crease!

The key to ask yourself is this - how close does the activity reflect the movements you see in cricket?

Martial arts, fielding drills, weight training & bodyweight exercises while standing, med ball work, multi-joint exercises - quite a similar movement pattern
Yoga, pilates, exercises sitting or lying down, isolation exercises - less similar

That's not to say the latter is "wrong" by any means. But given the choice, you get the best crossover effect from the first list.

It occurred to me whilst posting under "My Injuries" that I can explain better, why Yoga, Pilates, Feldenkrais etc are good for cricket.

These disciplines, though not necessarily functionally, do improve flexibility and enhance wellbeing but more than that, they teach the performer to move into postures with fluidity. They make the performer more aware of their body, allowing them to form natural alignment in gravity; a constant emphasis on developing self awareness with regard to alignment and balance is taught.

A lot of injuries I see are caused by postural difficulties; poor balance, unnecessary effort, lack of self awareness etc. Worse still, these difficulties cause muscular tension which in turn cause more postural difficulties!

So, posture is very important but most gains will be achieved through functional training, which is essential for cricket... does that help?

Liz Ward said:
Samuel,

Lie on your back, knees bent, feet parallel, flat on the floor, hip width apart. Make sure your knees are always facing up, do not let them fall apart.

Elbows bent with fingers against your temples, not behind your head. At all times your elbows should form a straight line, from one tip all the way through to the other.

Raise yourself slowly to the count of two, bending only at your hips. Your back and neck should remain in line at all times, that means no curve, as if there was a board behind you. Your elbows must not come forward.

Breathe out as you come up, in as you lower. You need to keep to a steady pace and not use momentum at any point.

Enjoy!

Never again, I thought I had a decent technique but doing it as described above is a killer.

Liz Ward said:
Samuel,

Enjoy!

Just did ten of them - Ouch!

So, Liz, you are saying that it helps secondary skills which arei mportant in cricket such as body awareness and balance.

I may start doing ten a day, if not for anything else, then to burn some excess tummy fat.

It is worth bearing in mind that the abs are only activated for the first 30-40 degrees; after this, the hip flexors are activated.

manee said:
I may start doing ten a day, if not for anything else, then to burn some excess tummy fat.

To burn tummy fat you would need to do more general aerobic work. This would be stuff like interval running, swimming and the like.

Also, diet is waaaaay more important for fat loss than exercise.

I had my first Karate lesson this evening! Thought it was time I tried something new and it's also a great way to spend time with the boy, although he's probably a bit too young to fully appreciate yet (still, getting him trying different sports can only be a good thing, especially if it's fun).

Enjoyed the session, if it carries on like that I'll be a convert for life!

It was although I feel a little stiff in places today. Looking forward to next week, so's the boy!

Wicket keepers need a very strong core, as well as great agility, balance, coordination and speed (the ABCs).

They also need to be able to squat, lunge and pounce (bit of a tigger really ;))

Spend time with these exercises, without weights at your age.

Squat:
Feet, hip width apart. Lower, as if you are about to sit keeping your lower leg vertical; knees must not go forward of toes.

Go down for the count of 4 - Up for the count of 4 (4/4) twice
(2/2) x 4
(3/1) x 4
(1/1) x 8
(1/3) x 4
(2/2) x 4
(4/4) x 2

Don't stop, keep the muscles loaded.

Do the same with forward lunges and then with sideways lunges (both legs).

You can mix the movements around e.g. forward lunge, sideways lunge, squat repeat.

Put some music on and have fun with it at least three times a week.

do any of these excersis help with the twisting and strain on the back when bowling??

I am really not sure how else to explain it Kizza.

There are two common causes for your problem:

Mixed action; and
Poor core strength and stability.

You must address the cause, not the symptom.

If it is the latter, then, yes... all core exercises will help you.

If it is the former, then, no amount of exercise is going to stop the cycle of pain.

Did you read all the links? If not, read http://www.harrowdrive.com/core-stability-for-cricket-a-dummies-guide/

Unfortunately, there is not anything you can do to rectify the problem instantly. Whatever the cause, it will take time.

Hi All,

Very interesting topic here. I did Tai Chi Chuan for a few years before taking up cricket - and if nothing else it helped with picking up basic movements like the bowling action. The type of Tai Chi I do takes a practical approach so there's sparring and wrestling involved - which is probably good for core strength (maintaining a stable base while throwing someone around your centre). And it seems like the principles of transferring power from the ground through to the fist while throwing a punch would transfer well to batting.

You mentioned rowing earlier too - would training with a rowing maching benefit the core strength and stability?

Not as much as Tai Chi:

Liz Ward said:
The rowing machine in particular is a great non-impact aerobic modality that emphasises the upper and lower body. The major muscles utilised during the rowing movement are the quadriceps, hamstrings, hip flexors, soleus, biceps, trapezius, latissimus dorsi and deltoids...

Tai Chi, on the other hand, as you say, trains the core, not only to help the body transfer weight but also power; you have to reach deep into your core for Tai Chi. Unless you brace your core whilst rowing, it is hardly called on at all.

Fair enough, thanks.

I might keep the rowing up for a while for my fitness - I find it more interesting than running and there's less impact.

Thanks for the info,
Ed

The rowing machine is a good piece of equipment for a cricketer and I would recommend it over a treadmill ;)

Do keep it up and look around this Forum for other suggestions such as sprinting; interval and fartlek training.

Back