What the heck is core training all about anyway?

Re: What the heck is core training all about anyway?

I think I know what David is trying to say on this link, but as it appears to contradict his first post on this thread, I should leave it for him to comment... just in case :)

However, with respect to your guys, off season is the time to work on fitness. I always think it is a shame that cricket clubs [generally] do not take responsibility for this. Most rugby clubs keep going all through the off season with fitness sessions, so by the time pre season comes along, everybody is of a reasonable standard and the coaches know who has been doing what, as well as making sure they are doing whatever it is correctly.

A good core is vital to spinal health and protects against injury generally but before giving the guys some fitness targets, we need to know what we are dealing with. For example, how old? No point talking about pressing 250 kgs if they are only eleven :D. Also, what level? Cricket specific exercises are great if all they do is play cricket, however, if they are normal young lads who do a myriad of activities, then it would be negligent to ignore them.

The off season is also the best time to deal with deficits in technique too. If a player needs to correct a mixed action, this can be done without impact on play and there is just enough time to get it sorted before pre season comes around. This also works well along side the fitness sessions, quite often, deficit in technique occur because of, or are the cause of, physical deficit. It is all very well rerouting the neuromuscular pathway, but sometimes the muscles need 'reprogramming' before this can happen.

god, I've been slacking on my core training for the best part of a month ( in a case of "why go to the gym when its sunny and i can cycle or run" ) and i REALLY Felt it yesterday . . . playing on parkers piece (centre of cambridge) I just felt so fatigued in the core after dropping a diving catch at gulley, and missing several others . . .
Fitness required!

micoach - Your Website is absolutely amazing!

I and in reply to your article, I think that a strong core (aside from skill and fitness) is one area of sport (esp cricket) that anyone can excel at.

Adding onto that article in an unrefined manner:
*Wicket keepers need a low center of gravity - thus need a strong core to help them resist fatigue and generate power whilst crouching. Strong legs are also important, but a strong core can be very beneficial too.
*(some) Bowlers tend to come through with their shoulders too much in a side/slinging action (dennis lillee), thus exposing themselves to a range of shoulder/back injuries. Whereas if you were able to modify your bowling action to come on straight, you can utilise your core muscles to a greater extent to generate more power through your action.

You need to be looking elsewhere for your strength/power for fast bowling...

To develop explosive power for bowling, work with a partner in resisted bowling, with the use of a viper belt; six resisted balls followed by two unresisted.

You could increase the rotational speed of your arm to bowl faster by using a contrast:

Try to source 1kg jelly balls, you will find something similar in pilates outlets, sold in pairs. Contrast these with much lighter, foam balls. Then with standard cricket balls.

3 sets of 4 reps with jelly ball, 2 with the foam ball and 2 with the standard cricket ball. Ensure correct technique at all times and recover for 1 minute between sets.

Reviving a very old post but if anybody is interested in trying this, there is an inspirational coach using weighted ball training with great results. Steffan Jones ( http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/player/15552.html ). You can either book his services or contact him for an up-to-date programme. He may also be able to help you source some weighted balls. I highly recommend him!

http://www.sjenhancingperformance.com/
http://cricketstrength.com/

Interestingly, the balls Steff recommends (http://www.somerset-countysports.com/cricket-balls/ou-weighted-speed-training-balls.html) are not that much of a contrast to a cricket ball 110g, 180g, 220g and certainly nowhere the 1kg jelly ball suggested by Liz. Perhaps he is erring on the side of caution in terms of what level of training players will have before commencing weighted ball training, but would like to hear that for sure. At a recent seminar, Steff said you need to 'earn' the right to do weighted ball training (something very few of those attending would have met) and he also said he was doing more testing on the optimum weight and reps so keep watching his site. That said I would fully endorse Liz's view that Steff comes highly recommended.

I would stick with Steff's programme Tony; things have moved on since I posted. I have since discovered that the general S&C is not as good as it once was. I think I may have touched on this on Cricket Coaches Worldwide in February; particularly with respect to rotator cuff and failure to use the correct muscles.

Steff is quite right when he refers to earning the right, which is why a programme is essential these days... build up to it! ;)

Back