What the heck is core training all about anyway?

Re: What the heck is core training all about anyway?

Liz Ward said:
The rowing machine is a good piece of equipment for a cricketer and I would recommend it over a treadmill ;)

Do keep it up and look around this Forum for other suggestions such as sprinting; interval and fartlek training.

Agreed. Interval style running and sprinting is the number one choice for cricketers.

i do some yoga sometimes because my dad forces me to do it but all these core training exercises wont ruin ur growth rite

Can somebody post a video of core training plz that would help alot

thanks in advance

David, dunno if you've checked out my blog recently, but I've made some pretty big advances in my bowling of late. I came across that clip I sent you back in 2007 and man have I improved! Anyway - I've been doing rotational press ups and the plank a lot and some other things alongside the terra band stretches behind the head and one of my weird variations has suddenly come together with devastating affect. I'm not sure whether it's the exercise or just that I've improved massively with my delivery stride and follow through - probably a combination of the two. But I'm kind of suspicious it's the core strength factor.

someblokecalleddave;319412 said:
David, dunno if you've checked out my blog recently, but I've made some pretty big advances in my bowling of late. I came across that clip I sent you back in 2007 and man have I improved! Anyway - I've been doing rotational press ups and the plank a lot and some other things alongside the terra band stretches behind the head and one of my weird variations has suddenly come together with devastating affect. I'm not sure whether it's the exercise or just that I've improved massively with my delivery stride and follow through - probably a combination of the two. But I'm kind of suspicious it's the core strength factor.

Dave,
Could u please provide any links to those.
Virender

Does anyone know if this is anygood. There's a corner unit in my kitchen where two worksurfaces create a corner. I turn my back to the corner and support my body weight using my hands placed on the work surface. I then lift my feet off the ground and bring my knees up level with my hips and lower again (keeping my whole body supported on my hands off the ground) doing this five times. I then hold the "knees up level with the hips" for 5 seconds and the repeat both sequences again three times - so I'm doing it for 35- seconds or so. Is this any good for core strength? It seems to be doing my stomach muscles and my lower back. There's a diagram on my blog that might make it clearer as to what I'm doing Wrist Spin Bowling: Sunny & warm

Looking good Dave :)
Keep your hands close to your body and make sure you brace your core to support your spine. Don't lock your elbows.

Now, I need you to progress... whilst you are up there, I need you to straighten your legs out in front of you. Make sure everything is safe around you and you are not too close to the boiling kettle :D

You can also do some tricep dips here; make sure the elbows stay close to the body and go straight back, not out.

Nice one Liz, currently I am locking the elbows so I'll have to work on that. The straightening of the legs is what we used to call in skateboaring an L-sit and I can still do it and hold it for a few seconds. The V-sit was always the one that was harder!

With the dips I do that as well occassionally but it's not one that I've been doing much of - but if I'm to hold the position with the arms not locked it might be something I'll need to work on first?

I've just started skateboarding, and theres this balance board i use and apparently it works the core well, i dont feel it to be honest, but it is great for balance, should help my cricket and boarding hopefully.

You have a strong core anyway storm so you will probably not feel it as much as others.

Just be careful you don't break anything before the season starts :D

Sorm, I used to skateboard (up till last year)! If you learn how to do it and get your balance sussed you'll have to try surfing. I think if you keep at it and you get to the point where you can ride pools and half-pipes and you do a lot of that - that'll be where your core will get used a lot.

Skateboardings really fun but it is lethal, i've fallen countless times now, but im starting to enjoy it alot, i can go pretty quick now and do ollies and the balance im sure will help my batting somehow.
a good trick i found was if i did a press up and had the board under my feet i pulled my feet in, rolling the board towards me and then rolled it back out it works and feels pretty good on the core.

You should do V-sits and L-sits they are so Old Skool (1977). You roll along down a slight incline, squat down and grab each end of the board with your hands. Then support all your weight in your hands and lift your feet off the board and carefully extend them out horizontal away from the board, so your body forms an L -shape supported by your hands only and keep rolling in that L-shape. If your hardcore then lift your feet higher so they're level with your face almost forming V shape as you roll along and that's a V-sit.

Yeah you've gotta fall off a few thousand times before you can call yourself a skateboarder I reckon.

storm;327314 said:
Skateboardings really fun but it is lethal, i've fallen countless times now, but im starting to enjoy it alot, i can go pretty quick now and do ollies and the balance im sure will help my batting somehow.
a good trick i found was if i did a press up and had the board under my feet i pulled my feet in, rolling the board towards me and then rolled it back out it works and feels pretty good on the core.

If you want a skateboard to be really good for your balance top mount a longboard. It sits 10-12cm off the ground and is hard to stay on unless you have good balance.

Liz Ward;250073 said:
The rowing machine is a good piece of equipment for a cricketer and I would recommend it over a treadmill ;)
Provided you have a decent technique, being born and bred in cambridge I actually used to coach rowing to the beginners at my school club.
It makes me cry when you go to the gym and see some horrendous technique thats going to lead to back problems! Things such as sliding in with the legs before finishign the last stroke.
Rowing is 90% legs, 5% core and 5% arms. ;)

This thread is awesomesauce, thanks all!

Back