Who will finish their careers as the better batsmen? Clarke or Ponting?

Re: Who will finish their careers as the better batsmen? Clarke or Ponting?

You're infatuated with Roebuck.

Ponting is superior to Clarke in facets of the game. Clarke is currently doing what many people criticised Steve Waugh for.

Boris;394462 said:
Not just any batsman!

Would you put Gilchrist in number 3? Symonds? They both scored low 40s consistently for most of their career (boosted in some parts, but on the whole was their Test careers).

It's more their affect on the team that I am getting at.

Adam Gilchrist finished his career with an average just over 50 down from 58 or 59 at the highest. When he was at his peak he could have batted anywhere.

brickwaller99;395388 said:
Adam Gilchrist finished his career with an average just over 50 down from 58 or 59 at the highest. When he was at his peak he could have batted anywhere.

The reality is that he wouldn't have been suited to an upper order position long term.

Gilchrist was rarely in for more than 100 balls, he may score 100 from it, but he wouldn't anchor down the team. He didn't turn the strike over (instead he was the one given the strike) and did things his way. That is suited to lower order batting, particularly with the tail, and as such not what you would want from a number 3.

Anyone see the highlights from the 2005 NZ V Aus series on foxsports during the light delay?

It was the first test; New Zealand batted first and got 400+. we replied with 400+ but at one stage we were 150/5.

Katich and Gilly both got hundreds, I remember watching that game and when Katich got a ton a streaker decided to enter the field of play. He ran across the wicket and was hit with a massive shoulder by a big security guard which ended up breaking 3 ribs from memory. Made Symonds hit look soft.

Love watching highlights from summers past, those summers might be over but they are not forgotten.

Australia's best batsmen are as follows:

1. Bradman
2. G. Chappell
3. Ponting
4. Border
5. N. Harvey
6. Ponsford
7. Hayden

Then come blokes like S.Waugh, Clarke, Walters, Morris etc.

David Boon is another underrated guy. Batting at 3 or opening when he did was bloody hard work (Wasim, Waqar, Hadlee, Imran, Ambrose, Garner, Marshall, Donald, Kapil). He'd average well over 50 if he played now. For the same reason I rate Border so high. He'd average 60 now. International cricket has never had a period where there have been so man top notch quicks as in the 80s. Honestly, outside Australia, in recent years the only two truly menacing bowlers are Steyn and Flintoff.

courtjester;395474 said:

1. Bradman
2. G. Chappell
3. Ponting
4. Border
5. N. Harvey
6. Ponsford
7. Hayden

David Boon is another underrated guy. Batting at 3 or opening when he did was bloody hard work (Wasim, Waqar, Hadlee, Imran, Ambrose, Garner, Marshall, Donald, Kapil). He'd average well over 50 if he played now. For the same reason I rate Border so high. He'd average 60 now. International cricket has never had a period where there have been so man top notch quicks as in the 80s. Honestly, outside Australia, in recent years the only two truly menacing bowlers are Steyn and Flintoff.

Watching the 80's highlights, it looks like club cricket.

courtjester;395474 said:

1. Bradman
2. G. Chappell
3. Ponting
4. Border
5. N. Harvey
6. Ponsford
7. Hayden

Ponting is a better batsmen than Greg Chappell, Ponting record just can't be resisted. His our best batsmen after Bradman. Don't get me wrong, Chappell and Ponting are hard to separate, but Ponting's counter attacking ability shifts it for me.

Agree with that list, but would perhaps want to make mention of a couple of guys like Archie Jackson, those forgotten because they played second fiddle to greats.

Had health problems that slowed him down, but was very closely alikened to Bradman, he played along side him and scored about half as frequently as him, and if you know anything about Bradman, then you know that is bloody good as far as human performances go.

Some forgotten names around about the place as times goes on.

Fair point on guys like Archie Jackson. The other guy I neglected to put in was McCabe. And probably Trumper.

It gets harder as these guys are over three generations ago now.

I think my top order in an all time Australian team would still be:

1. B.Ponsford
2. M.Hayden/A.Morris (I find it hard to split these three openers)
3. D.Bradman
4. G.Chappell
5. R.Ponting
6. A. Border (if Keith Miller was not included as A/R here)

I dont think Clarke will displace Ponting and slot in here at 5 by the end of his and Ponting's career.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;395504 said:
Ponting is a better batsmen than Greg Chappell, Ponting record just can't be resisted. His our best batsmen after Bradman. Don't get me wrong, Chappell and Ponting are hard to separate, but Ponting's counter attacking ability shifts it for me.

I think that's fair. I'd rate Chappell slightly higher as I admire his technical orthodoxy.

This from cricinfo:

"....perhaps the outstanding batting of his career left no trace on the record-books, his 621 runs at 69 in five unauthorised World Series Cricket "SuperTests" in the Caribbean in 1979, off a West Indian attack of unprecedented hostility."

It's very hard to escape not putting Bradman at one, and I admire your guts to change it around.

I see you would mostly basing those choices on more performance instead of straight statistics? The way I do it as well.

I still have Bradman at one though, either way. Why would you say those three other batsman rate higher?

It's a batting order. Bradman wasn't an opener.

Caesar;395592 said:
It's a batting order. Bradman wasn't an opener.

:eek: oops.

Don't recognise a batting order with Ponting at 5.

I would agree with that order anyway (with Bradman at 1) for effect on the game. Each have turned the game around with the way their position plays, step by step.

Seen another ranking system that was very similar to that as well. Seen one where Bradman was at 6 before as well. All reasonable for certain uses.

Boris;395591 said:
It's very hard to escape not putting Bradman at one, and I admire your guts to change it around.

I see you would mostly basing those choices on more performance instead of straight statistics? The way I do it as well.

I still have Bradman at one though, either way. Why would you say those three other batsman rate higher?

Yeh, in batting order

Stats are helpful to a point I guess.

There was a guy called Sid Barnes who averaged over 60 I think, and Bradman rated him very highly. He is rarely mentioned as one of the top batsmen for Aust. He didnt play a heap of tests, but it was enough.

Back