Why does it seem like Australia is so great at cricket?

TigerGoldenBear

Why does it seem like Australia is so great at cricket?

Historically and currently, just checking the numbers the last
few days; they appear to the All Blacks of the cricket world.

How and why did that happen?

Is cricket just very very popular and well promoted in OZ?

@|

Re: Why does it seem like Australia is so great at cricket?

Yeah it's been the major sport in Australia along with aussie rules and rugby for over 100 years, it was really the only sport most people played in the summer but over the last few years soccer has become more popular. Our domestic comp is pretty strong, and most winters lots of players head over to England to play county cricket

As far as the national team goes having such a strong domestic competition is a great advantage. With 6 strong sides opposed to the diluted 18 team county comp in England means that cricketers are exposed to a greater level of skill early.

TigerGoldenBear;165447 said:

How and why did that happen?

Is cricket just very very popular and well promoted in OZ?

@|

Because they work hard on the basics at all times. You only have to look at the little kids playing kanga cricket to notice who is going to be great at either batting or bowling and fielding.

Metallica_ACDC;165480 said:
Our domestic comp is pretty strong, and most winters lots of players head over to England to play county cricket

I had always been curious about this, but don't know much about it. This is the Pura Cup you're talking about, correct? Are these 6 sides 6 states, e.g. NSW, Queensland, Victoria, South Australia, WA, Tasmania (or NT or ACT??). Unlike English county cricket, only Australian players participate in it? Also what kind of coverage on TV does it get in Australia? Is it free to air TV and/or pay TV?

Chandu;178073 said:
I had always been curious about this, but don't know much about it. This is the Pura Cup you're talking about, correct? Are these 6 sides 6 states, e.g. NSW, Queensland, Victoria, South Australia, WA, Tasmania (or NT or ACT??).

That's correct. NSW, Vic, Qld, WA, SA and Tas are the competing states in the Pura Cup.

Chandu said:
Unlike English county cricket, only Australian players participate in it?

Almost all the players that play in the Pura Cup are of Australian heritage. The only player that isn't Australian and that is playing in the domestic leagues is Sean Ervine (the former Zimbabwe International) who has played a few games for WA in the one-day domestic series. I think he is the only one at the present time.

Andy Blignaut (another former Zimbabwe International) played a few games with Tasmania a couple of seasons back and one of the Flower brothers represented South Australia a few times also a couple of seasons ago.

Graham Gooch will be heavily involved with NSW cricket this year, I think they signed him as an assistant coach.

Viv Richards played for Queensland in the 70's.

Dimitri Mascarenhas was schooled in Perth and I think played in the WACA district competition for some time while he was over here.

Chandu said:
Also what kind of coverage on TV does it get in Australia? Is it free to air TV and/or pay TV?

Domestic cricket used to get a lot of coverage on free-to-air TV but not anymore.

Channel 9 used to show some domestic one-day games and the occasional four-day game (back in the 90's for four-day matches) but they don't have the rights anymore. 9 would only show the one-day games when there was no international cricket on.

Now, Foxtel has the rights to domestic cricket. I know that they telecast almost every one-day game on Television whether it be a day or night game or a mid-week game. They also telecast the KFC Big-Bash Twenty20 tournament.

I don't think they covered any four-day games last season.

Ljp86;178075 said:
I don't think they covered any four-day games last season.

they covered the Pura Cup final last season, and they will do this season too.

it's a shame isn't it :(

That's an easy one. Yanks don't play cricket. Just look at tennis. Back
in the 60s/70s Bandis were hot crap. Then the rest of the world began
playing tennis and now the Bandis are no where to be seen. Same would
happen with cricket except the rest of the world wouldn't have to play
cricket, just the Yanks.

well get them playing cricket at the top level, then you can come with dumb statements like that

Another reason: Bandi ancestors were confined to solitary
in their prisons for years so sitting over long
periods doing nothing is in their genes. Now they
sit at the crease all day long waiting for loose deliveries
just like their ancestors sat in prison all day waiting for
bread and water.

Australia also puts a shedload of money into development.

TigerGoldenBear;165447 said:

I dont know if you're correct with this assumption, the All-Blacks tend to choke in the major tournaments like the World Cup. ;)

Australia seem to thrive in those types of environments, pulling off the three-peat last year in the West Indies debacle. :D

Ljp86;178075 said:
That's correct. NSW, Vic, Qld, WA, SA and Tas are the competing states in the Pura Cup.

Graham Gooch will be heavily involved with NSW cricket this year, I think they signed him as an assistant coach.

I think you will find its Graham Thorpe involved with NSW

batdocter;235694 said:
I think you will find its Graham Thorpe involved with NSW

Bah, at least I got his first name right. :p

But yes, you're right, it is Thorpe. I got my names confused there.

Back