World Test Team Of The Decade

gbatman

World Test Team Of The Decade

Pick your world test team of the decade.

Mine, off the top of my head is:

1. Hayden
2. Langer
3. Tendulkar
4. Ponting
5. Lara
6. Kallis
7. Gilchrist
8. Flintoff
9. Warne
10. Akhtar
11. McGrath
12. Muralitharin

re: World Test Team Of The Decade

1. Sehwag
2. Langer
3. Tendulkar
4. Ponting
5. Lara
6. Kallis
7. Flintoff
8. Gilchrist
9. Warne
10. Akhtar
11. McGrath

re: World Test Team Of The Decade

Langer - what the hell??!! There are so many better openers - Smith, Gambhir, Sehwag etc

1. Hayden
2. Sehweg
3. Ponting
4. Lara
5. Yousuf
6. Kallis
7. Gilchrist
8. Pollock
9. Warne
10. Akhtar
11. McGrath

12 Dravid

No Tendulkar? The simple fact is that the 3 4 and 5 positions are filled with batsmen who had better records during the 2000s. Number 4 was originally Dravid but then it would have been biased in favour of sub-continent players. Lara and Dravid had almost the same record during the 2000s, and Lara adds some calypso flare to the middle order. The spinner could have been either Murali or Warne, but Warne has a better record on all surfaces - Murali tends to not do as well on non-subcontinent pitches.

Unlucky:
Shane Bond - who actually has the best strike rate of any bowler of the 2000s
Jayawardene and Sangakara - both of whom had the average to fill the number 4 position

Re: World Test Team Of The Decade

gbatman;385269 said:
Pick your world test team of the decade.

Mine, off the top of my head is:

1. Hayden
2. Langer
3. Tendulkar
4. Ponting
5. Lara
6. Kallis
7. Gilchrist
8. Flintoff
9. Warne
10. Akhtar
11. McGrath
12. Muralitharin

So far I am liking this one best.

Depending on the surface I think with a team as good as that I would be playing horses for courses swapping Akhtar with Murali. I think Murali is too good to be left out of the side, and Akhtar isn't quite good enough. I would probably play Pollock before Akhtar actually.

Boris;385667 said:
So far I am liking this one best.

Depending on the surface I think with a team as good as that I would be playing horses for courses swapping Akhtar with Murali. I think Murali is too good to be left out of the side, and Akhtar isn't quite good enough. I would probably play Pollock before Akhtar actually.

Be aware that based on that team, you would either have 2 spinners or 2 all-rounders. Presumably you would only want 1 all-rounder? I guess the type of surface would determine whether or not you want 2 spinners - but either way its still a gutsy decision. Australia very rarely went with Warne and MacGill - even though MacGill was probably the 2nd best legspinner in the world. Given the choice between Warne and Murali, I think you have to go with Warne.

1. Hayden
2. Smith
3. Ponting
4. Kallis
5. Tendulkar
6. Lara
7. Gilchrist
8. Pollock
9. Warne
10. Muralitharan
11. McGrath

Mousey;385757 said:
1. Hayden
2. Smith
3. Ponting
4. Kallis
5. Tendulkar
6. Lara
7. Gilchrist
8. Pollock
9. Warne
10. Muralitharan
11. McGrath

pretty balsy bowling selection Mousey - 2 line and length medium pacers only - 1 being an all rounder. As good as McGrath was, he couldn't really operate effectively without a genuine quick striker at the other end

It's a pretty good point you have their gandalf, who to be the genuine quick strike bowler though? You have the choice of three really to my memory, Akthar, Lee, Bond. It's a good idea though to have an out an out quick who doesn't care much for runs, because with McGrath, Pollock, Kallis and the other quicks selected here you can get in trouble for being too conservative. Someone with a bit of a wild streak would be nice.

I reckon Chaminda Vaas deserves consideration as the second paceman. It's between him, Gillespie and Akhtar.

The argument could be made that Akhtar didn't have the longevity or consistency, and personally I prefer Vaas to Gillespie because of his variations and his success on the subcontinent.

It sucks how dire the pace attacks of the '00s were when you look at who was around in the '90s.

Caesar;386045 said:
I reckon Chaminda Vaas deserves consideration as the second paceman. It's between him, Gillespie and Akhtar.

The argument could be made that Akhtar didn't have the longevity or consistency, and personally I prefer Vaas to Gillespie because of his variations and his success on the subcontinent.

It sucks how dire the pace attacks of the '00s were when you look at who was around in the '90s.

Well it wouldn't be Akhtar because Lee IMO has outperformed him throughout his career as an out and out quick, which means he is nowhere near this team.

I guess if this was a full blown team you would rotate through them and see who performs the best.

I don't rate Lee as a Test bowler. He might have a shot at the Australian team of the decade, but I'm not considering him for this team.

Caesar;386061 said:
I don't rate Lee as a Test bowler. He might have a shot at the Australian team of the decade, but I'm not considering him for this team.

Which is the point I was briefly making, he isn't a candidate for this team, therefore neither is Akhtar.

Boris;386176 said:
Which is the point I was briefly making, he isn't a candidate for this team, therefore neither is Akhtar.

Akhtar is/was a much better bowler than Lee.

1. Hayden
2. Sehwag
3. Ponting
4. Tendulkar
5. lara
6. Kallis
7. Gilchrist
8. Flintoff
9. Warne
10. Murali
11. McGrath

Middle order picks itself, the openers and pace attack a lot harder. Was between Dravid (normally not an opener but where else), smith, hayden and sehwag for the opening positions. Dravid did not perform very well there, so i had to go with true openers. Smith unlucky. Balanced attack with 2 spinners a genuine paceman (flintoff) and a couple of medium pacers. Ntini was unlucky to miss out as was aktar. Very strong batting line up, but a weak bowling line up in the pace department (compared to other decades). I think it tells a story or how the pitches have been prepared all decade.

Thumbs up;386228 said:
Akhtar is/was a much better bowler than Lee.

I both think they are very even when it comes to Test bowling skill, which means neither makes this team.

Mine would be something like this.

1. Langer
2. Hayden
3. Ponting
4. Lara
5. Tendulkar
6. Kallis
7. Gilchrist
8. Flintoff
9. Vettori
10. Warne (C)
11. McGrath

12. Steyn

I'd put Steyn in for Vettori depending on the wicket.

1. Sehwag
2. Hayden
3. Ponting
4. Tendulkar
5. Lara
6. Kallis
7. Gilchrist
8. Warne
9. Gillespie
10. Bond
11. McGrath

I picked Gillespie simply because in combo him and McGrath were awesome, even if individually Gillespie might not have been quite good enough.

The 2005 Ashes have completely put me off 'Dizzy' Gillespie.

Of the five fast bowlers you could choose from otherwise (Akhtar, Vaas, Lee, McGrath, Bond): I'd probably change my selection to Vaas and McGrath.

The combination of pace and skill there cannot be better in the 00s, in my opinion.

1: Langer
2: Hayden
3: Ponting
4: Tendulkar
5: Lara
6: Kallis
7: Gilchrist
8: Pollock
9: Warne
10: Walsh
11: McGrath
12: Vaas

i'm pretty sure Courtney Walsh played at some point last decade so i'm including him.

between them they have 1495 tests and counting, 81171 runs and counting, 2874 wickets and counting, 1458 catches and counting, 224 centuries and counting and 329 half centuries and counting.

Back