Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

Yeah I also feel like it’s not consistent for drift. The highest I got was 2.5. I also got 3.5 but that was for a flipper.
I will try experimenting with seam as you mentioned.

If you get a straight seam on your flipper there’s every chance that it actually swung a bit.

I bowl an arm ball that swings away from a right hander, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with having a flipper that swings a bit.

Oh another thing with FullTrack that I like is you can get a side by side comparison of what the delivery would look like with and without drift or spin.

I found it a good way to get a gage of how effective even a little bit of drift actually is.

Just had a look at the videos Zitju, yes I'm pretty sure all of them had varying amounts of drift. Generally when you are bowling it is almost impossible to pick up any late drift.

The new videos look great, zjitu. There's definitely progress with that back leg coming through at the target.

As for drift, you don't need huge amounts of lateral movement as the ball travels down the wicket. All you need is that late drift and dip to open up the right handers, just like you are doing in the video, and that comes from high revs.

The new videos look great, zjitu. There's definitely progress with that back leg coming through at the target.

As for drift, you don't need huge amounts of lateral movement as the ball travels down the wicket. All you need is that late drift and dip to open up the right handers, just like you are doing in the video, and that comes from high revs.

I honestly think you’re better off getting a little bit of drift rather than a lot (unless it’s like “Gatting ball” level drift). Makes the batsman less likely to pick it up and adjust to it.

I honestly think you’re better off getting a little bit of drift rather than a lot (unless it’s like “Gatting ball” level drift). Makes the batsman less likely to pick it up and adjust to it.

Yeah, it's difficult to get a large amount of lateral movement in the air like the Gatting ball. Personally, I think the wind really helped Warne with that delivery. He wasn't trying anything special, he just got big revs on the ball in what looked like a moderate headwind, which helped a lot in my view.

The third delivery in zitju's new videos is a peach. You can see the batsman's head and feet follow the ball as it drifts and dips late. That's the effect and shape you're looking for.

Yeah, it's difficult to get a large amount of lateral movement in the air like the Gatting ball. Personally, I think the wind really helped Warne with that delivery. He wasn't trying anything special, he just got big revs on the ball in what looked like a moderate headwind, which helped a lot in my view.

The third delivery in zitju's new videos is a peach. You can see the batsman's head and feet follow the ball as it drifts and dips late. That's the effect and shape you're looking for.

Yeah drift is great for getting the batsman’s feet into completely the wrong position like it does in the video you mentioned, and then makes them hit against the spin to a ball that’s hitting or missing off stump.

Hey all, how do you guys know whether you had drift? I can understand whether I am getting dip or not but for the drift I am clueless! I have also tried to put my momentum forward more, instead of pivoting too much which I did earlier. I have attached 4 deliveries, any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

(BTW do you guys think I am getting any drift? It feels like it’s just angling because of the angled release, or is this what drift is?)

View attachment 1992

View attachment 1993

View attachment 1991

View attachment 1990
Doesn't look like it. Usually the batsman will be the person that spots it. I rarely ever get the ball to drift, I have to bowl very round armed in order for it to happen. On here years ago, I was obsessed with it and eventually I got the answers direct from Stuart MacGill. The sense I had from bowlers was that most people could get the ball to drift. So my next question was if you can get it to drift what is it you do specifically in order that it does drift? Plenty of people had answers. The follow-up question to that was (1). If you get the ball to drift and (2). You know what makes it drift - can you bowl alternate balls... with drift and without drift whenever you want? No-one answered. Eventually MacGill came back with something along the lines of 'Some days it does it, some days it doesn't, spin the ball really hard and you increase the chance of it happening, when it does happen go with it and work with it, as you'll bowl with it for a period of time in a spell and then it stop happening. The traditional view-point which is almost certainly true is that if you spin the ball hard and the wind is blowing across the wicket in a specific direction - it increases the chance of the ball drifting. To be honest I can't remember the specifics relating to the exact direction - possibly across the wicket slightly into your face?

It’s certainly drifting, particularly the first video.

Drift tends to happen more when it’s drifting with the direction of the ball if that makes sense. So if you bowl legbreak at about leg stump, it will probably drift more than if you pitch one outside off stump.

That might be why it feels like it’s just the angle. If I was more gifted at editing I’d draw a ball tracking line through the video. Although that’s on FullTrack AI so it should tell you, that being said it tends to get late drift confused with spin.

It is very hard to pick up drift on your own bowling for some reason, I struggle as well.
I thought the first vid if any, there may have been a tiny bit.

Hey all, how do you guys know whether you had drift? I can understand whether I am getting dip or not but for the drift I am clueless! I have also tried to put my momentum forward more, instead of pivoting too much which I did earlier. I have attached 4 deliveries, any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

(BTW do you guys think I am getting any drift? It feels like it’s just angling because of the angled release, or is this what drift is?)

View attachment 1992

View attachment 1993

View attachment 1991

View attachment 1990

I just opened my laptop and had one of these videos open and paused on the delivery stride and I just realised your delivery stride is massive. Like the distance between your front and back foot is pretty big, this makes your head drop before you release the ball that can make your lengths a bit iffy.

But the main thing it does is make it very hard to get your arm up and over instead of going around your body like everyone was saying.
Screenshot 2023-05-24 at 2.25.43 pm.png Screenshot 2023-05-24 at 2.26.22 pm.png

Although comparing you to Warne (no pressure) the gap seems to be more from your foot drifting across too much rather than striding too far forward. Watching the videos again you do start very wide and drift inwards right before your release, making your momentum go to fine leg, which also makes it very hard to go up and over.

Should be a pretty easy fix, put something to block you from going in front of the stumps and then start your run up a bit closer to the line of the stumps. Don't overcompensate it though and have a dead straight run up because thats arguably worse and as you can see Warne does still have his front foot closer to the stumps than his back foot, yours is just a bit too extreme.

I just opened my laptop and had one of these videos open and paused on the delivery stride and I just realised your delivery stride is massive. Like the distance between your front and back foot is pretty big, this makes your head drop before you release the ball that can make your lengths a bit iffy.

But the main thing it does is make it very hard to get your arm up and over instead of going around your body like everyone was saying.
View attachment 2008View attachment 2009

Although comparing you to Warne (no pressure) the gap seems to be more from your foot drifting across too much rather than striding too far forward. Watching the videos again you do start very wide and drift inwards right before your release, making your momentum go to fine leg, which also makes it very hard to go up and over.

Should be a pretty easy fix, put something to block you from going in front of the stumps and then start your run up a bit closer to the line of the stumps. Don't overcompensate it though and have a dead straight run up because thats arguably worse and as you can see Warne does still have his front foot closer to the stumps than his back foot, yours is just a bit too extreme.
Wow! Never thought about this. Thanks a bunch, will definitely try it out tomorrow now that I am back home.

Hey all, tried going 'around the loop' today and it went pretty well. Cool to see how you can get batters misjudging length when going from more sidespin to more overspin, and vice versa. However, 2 out of every 6 or so deliveries that I would bowl would stray down the legside. Any general advice for this problem, at least until I can send another video?
Thanks

Hey all, tried going 'around the loop' today and it went pretty well. Cool to see how you can get batters misjudging length when going from more sidespin to more overspin, and vice versa. However, 2 out of every 6 or so deliveries that I would bowl would stray down the legside. Any general advice for this problem, at least until I can send another video?
Thanks
I think that's just practice generally and making sure your alignments correct through your bowling action.

SomeblokecalledDave. SomeblokecalledDave. Read your blogs, they are a great read. Learned about big leg break from there! Tried it out a couple of times yesterday, sometimes they don’t turn at all, while sometimes they do. Is synthetic pitch bad for big leg break? Or maybe I am not doing it correctly. I tried to do it at a smaller pitch in my backyard (concrete), sometimes they turn massively. Maybe I am not able to translate it to a bigger proper pitch? Any thoughts? TIA.

SomeblokecalledDave. SomeblokecalledDave. Read your blogs, they are a great read. Learned about big leg break from there! Tried it out a couple of times yesterday, sometimes they don’t turn at all, while sometimes they do. Is synthetic pitch bad for big leg break? Or maybe I am not doing it correctly. I tried to do it at a smaller pitch in my backyard (concrete), sometimes they turn massively. Maybe I am not able to translate it to a bigger proper pitch? Any thoughts? TIA.

That is typical of bowling a side spinner on a non turning pitch.

It’s actually quite good though, if you bowl 2 identical deliveries and 1 turns and the other doesn’t then how will the batsman know.

You’d find if you’re bowling on a real turning pitch they would almost all turn a bunch.

That is typical of bowling a side spinner on a non turning pitch.

It’s actually quite good though, if you bowl 2 identical deliveries and 1 turns and the other doesn’t then how will the batsman know.

You’d find if you’re bowling on a real turning pitch they would almost all turn a bunch.
Wait side spin? I mean they also have backspin right? Shouldn’t that help with the grip, even though it’s a synthetic pitch? Also how do you differentiate between the orthodox backspin vs big leg break?Can you feel when the hand is rotated fully that it’s a orthodox backspin and not big leg break? I hope what I am saying makes sense 😅

Edit: I feel like once you turn your hand around from normal delivery to impart backspin, it’s quite hard to grasp whether you have turned too much (orthodox backspin) vs not (big leg break). Or maybe it’s just me and it will come with practice? 🤨

Back