Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

Mostly one dayers, with a little 3-4 T20 break mid season.

I’m a semi decent batsman (for my grade) and my team has a ton of bowlers and not many good batsman so I was batting at 3 for most of the year and getting a couple of overs before/after drinks. Took a wicket first ball in my last 2 matches tho, dunno why I decided to bowl pace for a bit.

Ok fair enough then. My team is similar except we don't really have a lot of bowlers or batters. Hence why I open the batting (with really bad results of late btw - average of 8 from 7 innings) and usually bowl the maximum overs possible. Our fast bowlers don't usually get on a roll and pin the opposition to, say, 3 down after 10 overs, so as I'm the leggy they usually turn to me to get a breakthrough. I think my batting has suffered the past couple seasons due to me focusing on my bowling more. Hoping that I'll be able to drop down the batting order to like 5 or 6 if the team gets a replacement opener.

Wow, you must hardly play any games or your captain mustn't have bowled you much before unfortunately. I remember my first season as a leggy (I've had 3 seasons so far) I bowled 120 overs in 22 games. Second season bowled 75 overs in 15 games, third season 50 overs in ten games. I don't really count last season as a proper season, only playing ten games due to poor scheduling, weather and being away.

Sometimes I haven't played that much, other times I haven't been used enough but I think enough to keep me happy.

This season is different I think, I've got a bit of a track record behind me with this club and am being given more overs.

Sometimes I haven't played that much, other times I haven't been used enough but I think enough to keep me happy.

This season is different I think, I've got a bit of a track record behind me with this club and am being given more overs.

That's good, and it certainly sounds like them bowling you more is paying off.

Ok fair enough then. My team is similar except we don't really have a lot of bowlers or batters. Hence why I open the batting (with really bad results of late btw - average of 8 from 7 innings) and usually bowl the maximum overs possible. Our fast bowlers don't usually get on a roll and pin the opposition to, say, 3 down after 10 overs, so as I'm the leggy they usually turn to me to get a breakthrough. I think my batting has suffered the past couple seasons due to me focusing on my bowling more. Hoping that I'll be able to drop down the batting order to like 5 or 6 if the team gets a replacement opener.

Yeah I did pretty ass as well, averages 10.5 last season (14.45@No3). I probably have quite a high balls faced per innings though.

Lovely high score of 35(87) with one 4. Luckily I had our opener at the other end who made 81(44).

View attachment 2026View attachment 2027

I asked our AI overlords to give a view on this topic.

I wouldn't say it's been well documented exactly, many commentators and people have labelled legbreaks, even the FLIPPER as sliders. Would be very confusing for anyone learning leg spin.

Yeah I did pretty ass as well, averages 10.5 last season (14.45@No3). I probably have quite a high balls faced per innings though.

Lovely high score of 35(87) with one 4. Luckily I had our opener at the other end who made 81(44).

Damn. My highest score of all time is only 3 runs over your highest last season. I too am not a very quick scoring batter, strike rate typically in the 40s. Yeah batting isn't my strongpoint, though I'm hoping to simultaneously improve heaps with my leggies and the bat before next season starts. I've got some time.

So backspin doesn’t help with the turn? Because I have seen that in small concrete pitch, the ball with backspin actually turns a lot. I can feel it has backspin and it grubs the concrete turning a lot. 🤨
My flippers which are pure back-spin hardly ever turn. I have a flipper variation which back-spin which spins backwards towards mid-on/cover and again, although that has back-spin it rarely deviates. I side-spinner with some back spin on the roughest of wickets might turn rarely? I think it's a case of bowling and observing. Maybe the concrete is the factor? But my experiences are all based on grass wickets and tarmac.

It's depressing isn't it? I remember bowling 14 overs quite regularly. I timed games I've seen bowlers bowl from one end the entire game... 25 + overs. Its the T20/IPL affect.🙁
Yeah it is depressing. I want to bowl more overs, but not possible here.
For the backspin with side spin, it may come down to speed. Maybe you get big turn when the speed is low? You can try it on a smaller pitch, I am sure you will see big turn, and you will certainty notice the grabbing of the backspin. I want to experiment on it at some point, for now I am just focusing on my stock delivery line and length.

Yeah it is depressing. I want to bowl more overs, but not possible here.
For the backspin with side spin, it may come down to speed. Maybe you get big turn when the speed is low? You can try it on a smaller pitch, I am sure you will see big turn, and you will certainty notice the grabbing of the backspin. I want to experiment on it at some point, for now I am just focusing on my stock delivery line and length.
Yeah definitely - bowl the ball slow and it'll turn at right angles almost!

I am in Tuscaloosa, Alabama right now (grad student). We have a league in nearby city in which our team participates in.
I guess as that's in the USA, you're probably lucky to have enough blokes around to play? I'm guessing most of your players are from the Indian sub continent region? Good job you're all doing taking cricket to the USA, it looks like what I'm seeing on Youtube it's getting more and more popular, you've got a big franchise starting this year - is that right? Saw that Jason Roy had signed up to it? Shame though, it's reinforcing the notion that cricket's played over 20 overs though, but I guess crickets got to get it's foot in the door as such and then maybe work from there?

I guess as that's in the USA, you're probably lucky to have enough blokes around to play? I'm guessing most of your players are from the Indian sub continent region? Good job you're all doing taking cricket to the USA, it looks like what I'm seeing on Youtube it's getting more and more popular, you've got a big franchise starting this year - is that right? Saw that Jason Roy had signed up to it? Shame though, it's reinforcing the notion that cricket's played over 20 overs though, but I guess crickets got to get it's foot in the door as such and then maybe work from there?
Yeah it’s getting some traction here now. The major league may hit it or miss it. Seeing how big of a population is from Indian subcontinent, there is a chance that it might flourish unlike football 🤞

Yeah it’s getting some traction here now. The major league may hit it or miss it. Seeing how big of a population is from Indian subcontinent, there is a chance that it might flourish unlike football 🤞
Do you ever get any of the White Americans pay any interest in your games? Have you ever had anyone show any interest in playing from the established communities - there's a lot of players in New York it seems with West Indian origins and I think there's also a fair few around Miami as well?

Do you ever get any of the White Americans pay any interest in your games? Have you ever had anyone show any interest in playing from the established communities - there's a lot of players in New York it seems with West Indian origins and I think there's also a fair few around Miami as well?
There are lot of players in Alabama too, particularly in Atlanta. There is also a huge community in Texas. We do have some occasional interest from Americans. For example, we recently taught cricket to some high school kids. But it’s still at superficial level.

Back