Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

New pitches typically have longer “grass” because it hasn’t been worn down a bunch. They turn quite a bit actually (compared to used synthetic).

It should just turn more regardless of what you do, but in general I think bowling a bit quicker is a good idea because the ball also tends to sit up off the wicket.

So don’t bowl short either.

If you manage to get it nice and full you should have a blast, assuming you can keep the ball on the pitch.

Don’t you practice on synthetic? It tends to bounce a lot, doesn’t provide much natural variation, *apparently* turns less than turf. New synthetic is very nice to bowl spin on though.
Yes, I practice in synthetic too, but that’s a baseball pitch, so I thought it would be different. Well, that’s good news for me. I will try to bowl some before the game to gauge the pitch. Thanks a lot. I will try to increase the pace.

Bad game for me yesterday. 3 overs 22 runs and taken off. The team won, and I was happy for everyone else, but my own performance sucked. Run out for 0 by a guy who wanted to take a second run, I didn't want it but he set off and I was stranded.

I knew I was likely to have a bad time bowling. I'm bowling absolute muck in the nets, it takes me too long to find any rhythm and it's carrying over into matches. At the start of my third over I heard the captain telling one of the other bowlers to warm up, so I knew the writing was on the wall. My first delivery was good. It was dead on line, a good length and had a lot of revs. The guy absolutely middled it back over my head, one bounce and four. The rest of that over went okay but the damage was done.

I also got fined for losing a train ticket, and reversed my car into a skip requiring a new tail. Fuckety f**k.

Bad game for me yesterday. 3 overs 22 runs and taken off. The team won, and I was happy for everyone else, but my own performance sucked. Run out for 0 by a guy who wanted to take a second run, I didn't want it but he set off and I was stranded.

I knew I was likely to have a bad time bowling. I'm bowling absolute muck in the nets, it takes me too long to find any rhythm and it's carrying over into matches. At the start of my third over I heard the captain telling one of the other bowlers to warm up, so I knew the writing was on the wall. My first delivery was good. It was dead on line, a good length and had a lot of revs. The guy absolutely middled it back over my head, one bounce and four. The rest of that over went okay but the damage was done.

I also got fined for losing a train ticket, and reversed my car into a skip requiring a new tail. Fuckety f**k.

That's unlucky mate. We've all had those sort of weeks. And the worst thing about it? When you land it in the right spot, coming out of the hand well, like you said, some days you just get hit for four. Hopefully better results next week.

That's unlucky mate. We've all had those sort of weeks. And the worst thing about it? When you land it in the right spot, coming out of the hand well, like you said, some days you just get hit for four. Hopefully better results next week.

I've got my mojo back in the nets tonight, I do believe.

I basically lost my rhythm for a few weeks there, starting in the third over of a 9 over spell a couple of games back, and I've only just got it back. It's like golfer yips. It also felt like googly syndrome, but it wasn't googly syndrome because I couldn't bowl my googly or flipper consistently in addition to my stock ball. I just had really bad rhythm for a few weeks.

Then tonight, all of a sudden it clicked. I think it's related to my front foot. I just told myself to let my front foot land properly before delivering the ball, and all of a sudden it was like a switch flicked. It's slightly annoying, because I already knew this and had been trying to work on it. Like, I knew it was related to my alignment and how my front foot (and both feet) were landing, but I was powerless to do anything about it. Like a golfer with yips on his swing. I was feeling leggy and lethargic, too, in the nets recently.

But tonight it all worked, suddenly every ball was good with consistent turn, dip and bounce all back simultaneously, flippers all hitting the stumps. Just like I was feeling at the start of the season.

Has anyone else had this? Where you just lose all rhythm and can't bowl your stock ball consistently? Thirteen days it took for me to get my stock ball back up to a standard where I now feel okay to bowl again.

I hope it doesn't happen to me again this season, but now I feel much more confident going into the next game.

I basically lost my rhythm for a few weeks there, starting in the third over of a 9 over spell a couple of games back, and I've only just got it back. It's like golfer yips. It also felt like googly syndrome, but it wasn't googly syndrome because I couldn't bowl my googly or flipper consistently in addition to my stock ball. I just had really bad rhythm for a few weeks.

Then tonight, all of a sudden it clicked. I think it's related to my front foot. I just told myself to let my front foot land properly before delivering the ball, and all of a sudden it was like a switch flicked. It's slightly annoying, because I already knew this and had been trying to work on it. Like, I knew it was related to my alignment and how my front foot (and both feet) were landing, but I was powerless to do anything about it. Like a golfer with yips on his swing. I was feeling leggy and lethargic, too, in the nets recently.

But tonight it all worked, suddenly every ball was good with consistent turn, dip and bounce all back simultaneously, flippers all hitting the stumps. Just like I was feeling at the start of the season.

Has anyone else had this? Where you just lose all rhythm and can't bowl your stock ball consistently? Thirteen days it took for me to get my stock ball back up to a standard where I now feel okay to bowl again.

I hope it doesn't happen to me again this season, but now I feel much more confident going into the next game.

Yeah, its tough, I've had it a a couple times. I usually just try and really simplify things during this period and bowl from standing starts until I get the feel back again.

We've got a new net at our club, but it's always padlocked and today they wouldn't let me use it when there was a first team game on. It's not in the line of sight of the batsmen. I asked if I could have a key so that I could come and go as I please, they said no. Just so mean.

I go to a different club where there is no padlock and they let me practice there to my heart's content, including when games are on. Such a difference in attitude.

We've got a new net at our club, but it's always padlocked and today they wouldn't let me use it when there was a first team game on. It's not in the line of sight of the batsmen. I asked if I could have a key so that I could come and go as I please, they said no. Just so mean.

I go to a different club where there is no padlock and they let me practice there to my heart's content, including when games are on. Such a difference in attitude.

Yeah, thats unlucky. No idea why they wouldn't allow you to use it?

Yeah, thats unlucky. No idea why they wouldn't allow you to use it?

Hopefully the stringent rules will ease as time goes on. I think they got the hint I wasn't happy because they were more amenable today, and opened them during the game.

Both my matches were cancelled due to lack of players last week and yesterday's league match was cancelled for the same reason. We played a friendly today, it was a good game but the rain interrupted play several times. I bowled one over at the end, only went for 3 or 4 I think so happy with that. Then we went off for rain again and that finished it off so no result. The game was turning in their favour, our finger spinners were struggling with the wet ball and going for a lot of boundaries so I think they would have got the runs required. I was apprehensive about coming on to bowl with one batsman well in and smacking it around, but I was alright and managed to contain them to a few singles in my one over. Ball felt alright coming out of the hand today. I think the wet ball would affect finger spinners more? I found I could still get revs on it, drying it my shirt between deliveries. I think a wet ball is worse for finger spinners, what would you say doc8176?

With the bat I only faced one ball, 1 not out. I did okay in the field and feel satisfied with my limited contribution with no f**k ups.

Man that sounds like a dogs**t day.

Oh yes. All the time. I've just had to 40 over games on the bounce. Saturday with my usual team -5th XI who have yet to win a game and are 2nd from bottom of the league and that's only because the team below failed to get teams out for 2 Saturdays, so are deducted points! Got two wickets in that game - getting both of the top scoring bats with variations which unusual for me. 1 leg break among 48 flippers that got one bloke and the other was off an off-spinning flipper which I rarely bowl as they're bloody hard to bowl and this one landed perfectly. Both through the gate playing for straight balls, that turned just enough. Bowled a few ropey balls in that game. Today (Sunday) played in a friendly which we expected to get rolled over in and won pretty easily. They couldn't do anything with our bowling including mine. A flipper on leg stump the bloke played around and it came in off his pads onto the stumps and a caught and bowled. But the Sunday game was far better as I played with a mix of players from all our 5 teams, with the 1st XI keeper who likes my bowling and really encourages me when I'm bowling giving me loads of confidence. Add to that the current 3rd XI captain who was previously the 1st XI captain and again he likes my bowling and sets the field - putting kids who can run and prevent boundaries. The confidence aspect is so important. In the Saturday game I batted at 10 and was watching a leggie before I went in who was looking really good and causing problems and I didn't fancy facing her at all (Girl about 23). I got out there eventually and she was bowling and I was at the non-strikers end. Why she was getting ready to start the over I said to her "Ahh a leg spinner... what are you doing" I asked " bowling with more top spin or side spin"? It completely unsettled her - dunno why, but she then bowled an over of utter pants whereas before she was bowling really well and she got taken off as it was so bad. I honestly think by saying that she then started to think about what she was doing and it totally messed her up - whereas before she was just bowling - doing what she always does.

That's pretty crap as well. Good that the other club are more accommodating.

Hopefully the stringent rules will ease as time goes on. I think they got the hint I wasn't happy because they were more amenable today, and opened them during the game.

Both my matches were cancelled due to lack of players last week and yesterday's league match was cancelled for the same reason. We played a friendly today, it was a good game but the rain interrupted play several times. I bowled one over at the end, only went for 3 or 4 I think so happy with that. Then we went off for rain again and that finished it off so no result. The game was turning in their favour, our finger spinners were struggling with the wet ball and going for a lot of boundaries so I think they would have got the runs required. I was apprehensive about coming on to bowl with one batsman well in and smacking it around, but I was alright and managed to contain them to a few singles in my one over. Ball felt alright coming out of the hand today. I think the wet ball would affect finger spinners more? I found I could still get revs on it, drying it my shirt between deliveries. I think a wet ball is worse for finger spinners, what would you say doc8176?

With the bat I only faced one ball, 1 not out. I did okay in the field and feel satisfied with my limited contribution with no f**k ups.

Yeah bowing off spin with a wet ball is pretty shit.

I find the main difference is the ball is heavier rather than it being slippery. With leg spin I find it pretty easy to release the ball at exactly the same because my wrist just snaps over the ball, but with off spin you get spin from the momentum of your run up and correct timing of body movements (more so than leg spin). So I find the heavy ball makes it hard to get my finger up and over the ball as easily.

I honestly find leg spin easier to bowl with a wet ball than off spin and pace.

I remember I did like a 5 over tournament thing over a single day, we used a white ball and it had been pretty wet so after having learnt to bowl with a dry red ball I went straight into bowling with a wet white ball and that went TERRIBLY.

Last edited:

Yeah, surprisingly wet balls are alright to bowl with for leg spinners. Only problem is the ball doesn't really turn most of the time - just skids on. But that can be an advantage if you use it well, bowling lots of topspinners for example and then just sliding in a quicker sidespinner which will hopefully get the batter trapped.

I had another league match today away at a ground I'd not played at before, tucked away somewhere you'd never know it was there. Spectacular ground, really nice. Very windy day with a strong crosswind on the wicket. We lost the toss and were asked to bowl. Openers did well dislodging three of their top order cheaply. Then one of the openers injured a finger on his bowling hand with a misfield on the boundary, a short consultation with me, him and the captain and I was given the ball in the 11th or 12th over, something like that. There was a left hander on strike, second ball I bowled was shortish and he went to pull it. It came out as more of a top spinner, didn't turn and bowled him middle/leg and as he completely missed the pull shot. I didn't earnt that wicket but it was nice.

Second over was rank, two full tosses and a short one gifted them three fours in that over. Had a word with myself between overs, at the other end our young off spinner was on and she was on fire so wickets were falling at that end. In the third and fourth over I found my length again, there were some airy shots, not many runs and one of the airy shots was caught at point for my second wicket. At the other end wickets were continuing to fall. I thought we would be into the tail but then a ringer came out at number 8. Left hander, smacked the off spinner several times in one over, then hit me 6,4,4 in my fifth over. But in the next over the off spinner got him caught at point with one big hit too many. She then completed her five wicket haul in her next over (she's like 14 or 15 years old, child prodigy). I think I finished with 6 overs 0 maidens 36 runs 2 wickets. A bit expensive but I'm happy to be back in the wickets again. So between me and the young off spinner on fire we got rid of their last 7 wickets pretty quickly and they scored 104 all out from something like 24 overs in a 40 over match.

I umpired for the first 20 overs of our batting innings. We were in trouble at 3 wickets for 4 runs from the first few overs. Some middle order hitting got us to around 68-8 or thereabouts and for some reason I think we only had 10 batters. I was last man in for us and managed to survive a few overs and picked up 2 runs with a back foot cover drive, all was going well and we had plenty of overs to spare to get the runs. We were on 76 when the batsman at the other end went down the wicket to their off spinner, missed and got stumped.

A good game and I feel a bit more confident and relaxed about my bowling, there was nothing I could do about that left handed ringer he was just too good for me but otherwise I'm happy.

Was due to have a friendly match tomorrow but it has been cancelled so I'm looking forward to a week in the nets most evenings.

I had my Kylo Ren boxers on today so I think I'll stick with them.

I had another league match today away at a ground I'd not played at before, tucked away somewhere you'd never know it was there. Spectacular ground, really nice. Very windy day with a strong crosswind on the wicket. We lost the toss and were asked to bowl. Openers did well dislodging three of their top order cheaply. Then one of the openers injured a finger on his bowling hand with a misfield on the boundary, a short consultation with me, him and the captain and I was given the ball in the 11th or 12th over, something like that. There was a left hander on strike, second ball I bowled was shortish and he went to pull it. It came out as more of a top spinner, didn't turn and bowled him middle/leg and as he completely missed the pull shot. I didn't earnt that wicket but it was nice.

Second over was rank, two full tosses and a short one gifted them three fours in that over. Had a word with myself between overs, at the other end our young off spinner was on and she was on fire so wickets were falling at that end. In the third and fourth over I found my length again, there were some airy shots, not many runs and one of the airy shots was caught at point for my second wicket. At the other end wickets were continuing to fall. I thought we would be into the tail but then a ringer came out at number 8. Left hander, smacked the off spinner several times in one over, then hit me 6,4,4 in my fifth over. But in the next over the off spinner got him caught at point with one big hit too many. She then completed her five wicket haul in her next over (she's like 14 or 15 years old, child prodigy). I think I finished with 6 overs 0 maidens 36 runs 2 wickets. A bit expensive but I'm happy to be back in the wickets again. So between me and the young off spinner on fire we got rid of their last 7 wickets pretty quickly and they scored 104 all out from something like 24 overs in a 40 over match.

I umpired for the first 20 overs of our batting innings. We were in trouble at 3 wickets for 4 runs from the first few overs. Some middle order hitting got us to around 68-8 or thereabouts and for some reason I think we only had 10 batters. I was last man in for us and managed to survive a few overs and picked up 2 runs with a back foot cover drive, all was going well and we had plenty of overs to spare to get the runs. We were on 76 when the batsman at the other end went down the wicket to their off spinner, missed and got stumped.

A good game and I feel a bit more confident and relaxed about my bowling, there was nothing I could do about that left handed ringer he was just too good for me but otherwise I'm happy.

Was due to have a friendly match tomorrow but it has been cancelled so I'm looking forward to a week in the nets most evenings.

I had my Kylo Ren boxers on today so I think I'll stick with them.

Sounds like you did alright apart from a couple bad balls. I reckon I probably need a lucky charm too haha like you.

On a side note, I've realised that my googlies come out much loopier and slower than my leggies? Any advice to get them a touch flatter and faster, has anyone else dealt with this problem? Only reason I can think it's happening is because I try to focus too much and slow my arm action down to get my wrist and everything in the right place, maybe thats the key.

Sounds like you did alright apart from a couple bad balls. I reckon I probably need a lucky charm too haha like you.

On a side note, I've realised that my googlies come out much loopier and slower than my leggies? Any advice to get them a touch flatter and faster, has anyone else dealt with this problem? Only reason I can think it's happening is because I try to focus too much and slow my arm action down to get my wrist and everything in the right place, maybe thats the key.

Yeah, my googly comes out slower than my leg break (which itself isn't quick). I think it's just a matter of practice and timing, but I don't want to over practice googlies because I think it will deteriorate my leg break. So a bit slower and loopier is fine for me.

Yeah, my googly comes out slower than my leg break (which itself isn't quick). I think it's just a matter of practice and timing, but I don't want to over practice googlies because I think it will deteriorate my leg break. So a bit slower and loopier is fine for me.
Caution with the Googly as always. A part of the allure for me was it eventually got faster the more I bowled and seemingly turned just as much. Keep in mind the theory that the release is far more natural than a Leg-Break, it's just that as you've learned the leg break first despite it being wholly un-natural and the Googly seems slow/harder/un-natural at the moment. The more effort you put into it the more you'll be skirting around the tipping point.

Caution with the Googly as always. A part of the allure for me was it eventually got faster the more I bowled and seemingly turned just as much. Keep in mind the theory that the release is far more natural than a Leg-Break, it's just that as you've learned the leg break first despite it being wholly un-natural and the Googly seems slow/harder/un-natural at the moment. The more effort you put into it the more you'll be skirting around the tipping point.

I just bowl the odd few every net session, not that many. It's a pleasing delivery and I do want the psychological advantage over the batsman of turning it both ways, but like you say it's not worth ruining your stock ball over.

Yeah true, thanks for the reminder. Usually I like to stick to bowling 2 or 3 leggies for every variation I bowl, so I might bowl 2-3 leggies and then throw in one googly/flipper depending on what I'm working on. I think that's the sweetspot, as you do need to accumulate enough frequent volume on your variations to form some good rhythm and muscle memory.

On a side note, I've had a pretty good offseason so far, with the preseason coming up soon and the real season beginning in just over 3 months time. I'd particularly like to have my flipper down pat before then, all the other variations are going strong apart from the flipper at the moment. Just need to practice it more I think, because I've only been bowling the flipper around once a week, for a max of 30 balls per session. Additionally, I've been bowling to some of my mates using Philpott's round the loop theory, it's going to be a real weapon for me in the season. I always set them up with a few topspinners and overspun legbreaks, then slide in the big sidespinner and they are caught in no mans land because they expect the ball to bounce shorter and higher. I think that will be my main tactic for getting most batsmen out from now on, that and doing the opposite (so starting with the sidespinners instead).

Last edited:
Back