Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

I wasn't laughing much at the weekend. We were doing a warm-up and had moved on to high catches, and I was in the process of trying to catch a ball when the skipper started giving me instructions, which was just enough to distract me resulting in a dislocated little finger on my right hand. Had to miss Saturday and Sunday's games, and don't know when the swelling will go down enough to play again, some say it should be fine next week, others that it may take up to three weeks. Really not impressed.

Erm, as I recall mine was sore for 3 weeks,but then I am old and stuff takes a while to heal. I think after a week it feels okay, but not sufficient to catch a ball.

I wasn't laughing much at the weekend. We were doing a warm-up and had moved on to high catches, and I was in the process of trying to catch a ball when the skipper started giving me instructions, which was just enough to distract me resulting in a dislocated little finger on my right hand. Had to miss Saturday and Sunday's games, and don't know when the swelling will go down enough to play again, some say it should be fine next week, others that it may take up to three weeks. Really not impressed.

That's just rotten luck. Captain strikes again. Hope there is no break in your finger.

That's just rotten luck. Captain strikes again. Hope there is no break in your finger.
New season - first game could've been worse. We scored 222 in 37 overs, the other team got to 218/9 with one over to spare, and I bowled seam up to get the last wicket to win with 4 runs.
Before that I bowled three overs of leg spin when I beat the batsman on 50 twice (both times trying to whack me out of the ground) and one was a stumping chance, the other went for a bye. One catch dropped off a left hander who thought he would sweep me at square leg 45 yards out. 3.1-0.19-1
Didn't stand out, but not bad either.

New season - first game could've been worse. We scored 222 in 37 overs, the other team got to 218/9 with one over to spare, and I bowled seam up to get the last wicket to win with 4 runs.
Before that I bowled three overs of leg spin when I beat the batsman on 50 twice (both times trying to whack me out of the ground) and one was a stumping chance, the other went for a bye. One catch dropped off a left hander who thought he would sweep me at square leg 45 yards out. 3.1-0.19-1
Didn't stand out, but not bad either.

Sounds like square leg let you down a bit. What do you reckon about placing the best fieldsmen in the team in that spot and taking into account a LHB your two best fielders perhaps ?

Sounds like square leg let you down a bit. What do you reckon about placing the best fieldsmen in the team in that spot and taking into account a LHB your two best fielders perhaps ?

You are right in the sense of placing best fielders at most important positions. (without being modest), I am the best catcher in the team, so to all other spinners, I field at long on (took three catches in this match, two diving forward and the third - converted a six into a catch on the boundary line by timing the jump).
But, problem was that I didn't rate the LHB very highly - and we were desperate to get the other RHB who was batting on 50+ out, so I had my best fielders out at long on and cow corner, that meant, had to do with the rest for the LHB's leg side.

When I captained our team to the leagues T20 win I put a lot of effort into putting fielders in the right spot and it made a hell of a difference. Its more about hiding your bad fielders really, putting them in spots that rarely get catches. They may get a bit of work to do and you may lose the odd run from misfields but dropped catches are the thing that really hurts. I remember one game we played we had a terrible catcher but an ok ground fielder at square leg. I was making him swap over with point when there was a left hand right hand combo batting and we didnt swap him over once and of course a catch went straight to him at point and he dropped it. The guy went on and made 50 odd and it really cost us so I always remember that. I even got up our usual captain in the T20s because he was trying to get people swap in certain situations to "save them a walk" but it meant all they all ended up in the wrong spots.
Shrek, what made you go seam up. Sounds like a great win

When I captained our team to the leagues T20 win I put a lot of effort into putting fielders in the right spot and it made a hell of a difference. Its more about hiding your bad fielders really, putting them in spots that rarely get catches. They may get a bit of work to do and you may lose the odd run from misfields but dropped catches are the thing that really hurts. I remember one game we played we had a terrible catcher but an ok ground fielder at square leg. I was making him swap over with point when there was a left hand right hand combo batting and we didnt swap him over once and of course a catch went straight to him at point and he dropped it. The guy went on and made 50 odd and it really cost us so I always remember that. I even got up our usual captain in the T20s because he was trying to get people swap in certain situations to "save them a walk" but it meant all they all ended up in the wrong spots.
Shrek, what made you go seam up. Sounds like a great win

Yeah, in the end it was a good win, but we should never have let them in so close. There were 4 runs to defend in the last over. With spin, I can get a wicket, but I need an in and out field, so wasn't confident of stopping singles too. Moreover, I am not entirely confident of the length I bowl.
With seam up, I can just rockup and bowl exactly the line and length I want. One batsman was good off the front foot and smashing all bowlers over extra cover and to long off, the other was no:11 who wasn't all that good. He would then have two options - take a single and show confidence in no:11, or try to get 4 himself. I knew that either of his choices meant I could restrict them to 4 runs. So, my plan was to bang it in short of good length (so that batsman cannot play off the front foot) and he tried to hit me for a six, ends up caught at long on - Game won.

Had an interesting opening two league games, a 30 run loss where we collapsed chasing 110, and an easy 10 wicket win. Bowling wise, I had a mixed bag, in total I got 10 overs, 2-37 across the 2 games, but it was really 1 bad over where I completely lost my rhythm and went for 17 that spoiled the figures. Other than that I bowled ok. Was pleased with my last ball - we needed 1 more wicket to wrap it up and I pitched my wrongun up outside offstump, the guy aimed a big drive at it and it spun back through his gate and knocked back off. Just need to get some overs under my belt at this point after all the games that have been rained off.

Happy hunting this weekend SLA.

Happy hunting this weekend SLA.

Yeah, had an incredible game this weekend, we scored 201/7, which we thought was plenty, then oppo were 9 down, needing 4 to win off the last ball and their number 11 who had played and missed at every ball he had faced so far, took a huge swipe and top edged the ball right up in the air... for 6. We just all stood there and stared in disbelief, completely dumbfounded.

I took 4 top order wickets and almost won us the game, but unfortunately then went for a number of 6s off their big hitting middle order batsmen who smacked everyone around on his way to 90 off 40 balls, which kinda ruined my figures. Flat pitch + short boundaries + big bloke with nothing to lose swinging across the line = trouble. One of those days where every miss hit landed between two fielders.

We hit 2 sixes all game, they hit 17. Says it all about the relative batting styles of the two teams.

Those small grounds in England dont help the bowler much do they. A top edge for 6, youd have to have brett lee bowling on our ground for that to happen

Those small grounds in England dont help the bowler much do they. A top edge for 6, youd have to have brett lee bowling on our ground for that to happen

The number of times the ball went up in the air and there was a man right underneath it.. only for it to drop agonisingly over his head for 6. On a normal sized pitch the guy would have been caught about 4-5 times.

Anyway, you win some, you lose some. Got a 20 over game tonight to help us get over it.

Bowled today it was awful, if the captain hadn't said 'Have a rest Dave' I'd have said to him, yeah get someone else to bowl, cos that's crap and doesn't look like it's going to get any better. Shame really as I'm spinning the ball harder and faster than I've ever done and I can change the direction of the seam at will. The 90 degree pure side spin - I've cracked it, but only off a Terry Jenner style walk in. Back to the drawing board I reckon, but I think it's due to my lad Joe not being up and about and playing cricket and being indoors a lot more and just not being fit enough, I'm just aches and pains all over the place and have not shoulder strength.

At my sons club cricket presentation night I recieved some very positive feedback about what umpires and other coaches said last season about my sons legspin.

Boiled down, he has come to district selectors attention but his fielding is way below what would be required. Batting technique good enough but needs to score more runs.

OK thats fair enough and actually neither of us is interested or aiming for him to play rep, at this stage at least. But we now know the boy who is the legspinner in the train on squad was picked as an allrounder, because he is a very good batsman and fieldsman as well.

The funny thing is he bowled in the same comp as my son and finished with 7/113 off 31 overs. My son took 7/118 of 45 overs!

Menno Gazendums shutting down his on-line activities to focus on other projects. I've invited them over to here, so we may see an influx of new blokes and contributors?

Whats going on over there in pommyland Dave. My old team has had 7 of 11 saturday games washed out this season. I got my Visa finally so we are heading over there at the end of August, might even get a couple of games in if Im lucky!!

Mate, it's the worst start to a summer for over a 100 years, total washout, I've only played 4 games and the same with most people, pitches have been flooded, or just too wet to play on it's been pretty bad, training sessions called off and even with the games that have been played, they've been rain affected in a lot of cases. We've had a few sunny days of late, but a shed load of rain all summer. The winter was the 2nd dry one of the trot and everyone was whinging about the fact that there was a drought called back in March, so I reckon the Gods looked down and thought "You want rain you whinging Poms, here have some rain"... There's word that it's going to cheer up a bit now for a few months, but this is England, you can't guarantee that or even speculate on the basis of averages, we're a small island on one of the most volatile oceans in the world when it comes to weather, so you can't count on the weather.

Got a bowl today 2nd over with the seamer at the other end - took the wickets of the No.1 and No.3 one of the top of the bat that the keeper took after some juggling and the 2nd one a Leg Break pitched outside of leg that that was clearly going to hit the stumps and for the first time I went up for it along with the rest of the team and got it - ny first ever LBW as far as I can recall. 4-0-28-2. Seven an over's not so clever, but nice to have taken blokes right at the top of the batting order. The other Wrist Spinner - Frank Farrington took another couple 4-0-16-2 - bowled one and had one caught at Mid Wicket.

Whats going on over there in pommyland Dave. My old team has had 7 of 11 saturday games washed out this season. I got my Visa finally so we are heading over there at the end of August, might even get a couple of games in if Im lucky!!

Where you going to be - you going to be down south at all?

Back