Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

Here is a couple recent clips of my bowling. No deliveries videod were perfect, but they should do.

File (3) is a legspinner which I'm pretty sure curves and drops nicely, though on a yorker length haha.

File (2) is a topspinner which didn't come out with the loop I usually like to bowl them with. Oh well, I only had so much time to film.

File (1) is a googly that bounces like the topspinner should have. Lol the bounce is huge, and there was some turn too but you probably can't see it.

And the last one is a flipper that came out way too short.

OH, and also I have just been named the captain of my side for this season. Any tips in managing bowling leg spin, opening the batting and captaincy? Also any pointers for captaincy in general?

Attachments

• IMG_2646 (3).mov
    1.7 MB
  • IMG_2646 (2).mov
    1.5 MB
  • IMG_2646 (1).mov
    1.8 MB
  • IMG_2646.mov
    1.4 MB
Here is a couple recent clips of my bowling. No deliveries videod were perfect, but they should do.

File (3) is a legspinner which I'm pretty sure curves and drops nicely, though on a yorker length haha.

File (2) is a topspinner which didn't come out with the loop I usually like to bowl them with. Oh well, I only had so much time to film.

File (1) is a googly that bounces like the topspinner should have. Lol the bounce is huge, and there was some turn too but you probably can't see it.

And the last one is a flipper that came out way too short.

OH, and also I have just been named the captain of my side for this season. Any tips in managing bowling leg spin, opening the batting and captaincy? Also any pointers for captaincy in general?

That leggie looked like it drifted in a ton, started at 5/6th stump line and landed on middle.

I feel like a fast topspinner can actually be very deadly. Good for getting caught and bowleds or catches at mid on/off.

That googly certainly bounced lol.

And yeah the flipper was a bit too short, also looked really easy to pick.

No league match yesterday, cancelled due to lack of numbers (our team).

Another 35 over friendly today. 0 and out with the bat first ball. Moving swiftly on, our team made a decent 140 for them to chase.

Wickets fell rapidly when we were bowling. Three in the first two overs, then a steady stream. By the time I was bowling they were 8 down. I had the rare honour of very few attacking shots thrown at me, they mostly blocked me out in a three over spell and the two remaining wickets fell at the other end. My figures were 3 overs, 0 maidens, 5 runs, 0 wickets.

We got them all out for 67.

Regarding the flipper, I do think it's possible to get it to stay low on astro. I can get them to hit half way up the stumps regularly on the net I bowl in which has good bounce. It adds to the challenge and you know you're getting good revs on it and the correct line/length if you can hit the stumps say half way to three quarters of the way up in the nets.

Regarding the flipper, I do think it's possible to get it to stay low on astro. I can get them to hit half way up the stumps regularly on the net I bowl in which has good bounce. It adds to the challenge and you know you're getting good revs on it and the correct line/length if you can hit the stumps say half way to three quarters of the way up in the nets.

True, I think if you can get the flipper going in to the nets its going to be deadly on turf. When does your season end btw?

I will have to post a video of my bowling again soon on here. The season is coming up (mid October), and I have solidified a couple good changes in my action over the course of the offseason. I seem to be getting some more turn, drift and dip now. Although admittedly it is hard to tell if I am getting more turn, as some balls go straight on and some grip and turn a bit on the astroturf pitch I train on, which is honestly like bowling on glass. I'm hoping when I get bowling on turf again in a month and a bit I can see the increased turn immediately, but again it's hard to gauge on the training nets.
Especially since I bowl a decent pace, the astroturf hardly has any grip in it for a good amount of turn.

Also, all my variations have come a long way, bar the flipper. The flipper just seems to get smacked in the nets and my legspinners and stuff are harder to hit? Maybe it is because the flipper is easier to play on astroturf, but I think the real reason is that my flipper just won't come out fast enough (not even sure if my flipper is faster than my legspinner; I will have to test this too, hopefully this weekend).

So in the absence of a flipper I've started practicing my slider and topspinner a bit more, and they're coming along nicely. I'm praying I can get the flipper right for the start of the season.
Is your 'Slider' the orthodox back-spinner or do you just bowl 90 degree leg-breaks hoping that the ball doesn't grip and goes straight on. Or do you have the fine motor skills that enable you to send down a 90 degree Leg-Break but with the spinning axis angled backwards, knowing that it's going to land on the smooth surface rather than the seam? With regards your flipper, I'd say that it needs to be coming out the same pace as your Leg-Breaks or be a change up with a bit more pace.

Yeah astroturf I feel negates one of the important aspects of the flipper - the low bounce. But it still doesn't hide the fact that it's not coming out fast enough.

Well, the slider doesn't have much backspin, whereas the flipper has full backspin. Also the flipper seems to have a higher ceiling pace wise, which could make it harder for batsman to play due to the surprise.

True, yeah I don't need it but I feel like it would really be a weapon, especially in the league I play. Like I mean, if I got it right in game, it would take a wicket most of the time. This is partly because no one really knows what a flipper is. It's akin to people never knowing that leg spinners had wrong'uns; this would lead to easy wickets 100% of the time if you just pitched the wrong un in the right place.

Yeah, that offspin slider sounds tough to bowl. Hopefully you can get it right, in time for the season too.
I've not looked lately, but I reckon I must still be in the top five wicket takers at the club and 95% of those wickets - possibly more have been Flippers. Interestingly the 2nd highest wicket taker with the highest strike rate is a 16 year old girl. She bowls straight and loopy with some top-spin, getting it on a good length. Yesterday we played a game with against a decent batter, anything legside of middle he had an array of shots that he was putting away for 4's. Normally I target the stumps - middle, but he was just stepping slightly to off and getting into position to go leg-side. I ended up having to park the ball wide of off (Captains instructions), but after an over or so of that he then started to hit well through the off-side. The 16 year old girl came on, he smacked her for 2 fours defended her a number of times and then she clean bowled him top of middle. Really brave bowling - she makes it look so easy and never seems to get flustered by being hit for 4's and 6's, she always gets them in the end and it's usually the big power-house middle order type batters.

I've been given four overs in the last four matches combined. Today was the final straw when they were bring people back for second spells ahead of me. I texted the first team captain after the game and told him I'd find a new club.

I've been given four overs in the last four matches combined. Today was the final straw when they were bring people back for second spells ahead of me. I texted the first team captain after the game and told him I'd find a new club.
Have you got other clubs in your area or have you got a 2nd or 3rd XI you could play in where you'd be appreciated?

Have you got other clubs in your area or have you got a 2nd or 3rd XI you could play in where you'd be appreciated?

I play for the Sunday friendly as well, today just happened to be a league game that needed to be played because of a missed fixture earlier in the season.

There are loads of clubs in the area so I'll look for another.

Is your 'Slider' the orthodox back-spinner or do you just bowl 90 degree leg-breaks hoping that the ball doesn't grip and goes straight on. Or do you have the fine motor skills that enable you to send down a 90 degree Leg-Break but with the spinning axis angled backwards, knowing that it's going to land on the smooth surface rather than the seam? With regards your flipper, I'd say that it needs to be coming out the same pace as your Leg-Breaks or be a change up with a bit more pace.
I just bowl leg breaks with a hint of back spin, scrambled seam, a bit more roundarm, and this usually gives it all the chance it needs to skid on fast.

Yeah I agree the flipper probably needs to be fast.

I just bowl leg breaks with a hint of back spin, scrambled seam, a bit more roundarm, and this usually gives it all the chance it needs to skid on fast.

Yeah I agree the flipper probably needs to be fast.
When does your season start, as this weekend here in the UK is probably the last game of the season for me despite the fact that tomorrow is going to be 32 degrees and Sept and early October can be gorgeous weather. There's a load of us at my club that would play on till the last week of October, but there's little enthusiasm seemingly for those that arrange the fixtures, but I guess groundsman start getting the ache that they can't start prepping the square for winter. Our own grounds (Council maintained) are no longer maintained/prepped after last weekend, so the only grounds that games continue on are private ones owned by the clubs.

When does your season start, as this weekend here in the UK is probably the last game of the season for me despite the fact that tomorrow is going to be 32 degrees and Sept and early October can be gorgeous weather. There's a load of us at my club that would play on till the last week of October, but there's little enthusiasm seemingly for those that arrange the fixtures, but I guess groundsman start getting the ache that they can't start prepping the square for winter. Our own grounds (Council maintained) are no longer maintained/prepped after last weekend, so the only grounds that games continue on are private ones owned by the clubs.

Hi, my season starts October 15. Still got a fair while to practice and get ready. My accuracy has started to really come together now, hoping it will remain that way and improve before the start of the season.

That's unlucky that they won't let you play till october, even thought the weather's great.

Does anyone here ever get to bowl with another spin bowler with 2 sets of stumps one at either end bowling taking turns bowling to each other. I used to do with my sons, but they always got fed up with it too fast. I've always rated it as a good method of practicing - because there's the potential to give immediate and helpful feedback. I've had the opportunity a couple of times in the last two weeks to do this and in doing so was able to work with my top-spinner which I rarely do. Not sure if you recall, but as a variation I generally recommend the Top-Spinner as being the ball you learn next after the Leg-Break, but I rarely bowl it because I don't get to practice it enough. But, in one of these bowler to bowler sessions I had a go and my mate Koush (The other bloke) who's a number 3 bat in the 1st team was like 'Whoa! What was that'? Then it went from there, that was all the encouragement I needed to throw a few down and he was very impressed. We netted today - just him and me and having had that little bit of practice allowed me to send a few down among the Leg-Breaks and Flippers when he was batting and he was totally out-foxed by the inclusion of the Top-Spinner. His feedback was because of the Top-Spinner he couldn't play the Leg-Break in the same way and felt with the Leg-Break he had generally 3 shots to work with, but with the inclusion of the Top-Spinner he know felt he had to wait for it to pitch to see whether it was going to turn or not, massively changing his options. He said that he could not read it out of the hand and it also mean that a slow loopy Flipper also took on a slightly different dimension that had him playing differently.

Sorry to hear that.

Thanks mate. I've had a lot to take in the last few days. Looking back and having had a few nights sleep I am happy with my decision to quit the club and feel liberated.

I learned from conversations with the first team captain that he wanted me in the first team, but other players had talked him out of it. This explained why I had been overlooked for the first team all season, which I wondered about a lot when players who were returning from injuries or other lay offs were being picked. Players who had no wickets to their name when I had 15 were being picked.

Then in the last few weeks there has been a player in the second team/Sunday team who has made a few remarks about my bowling. On Sunday he ended up being captain via an injury. We had a decent total to bowl at and 40 overs. At the start of the innings he came up to me and another bowler and said to both of us that he would give us a bowl, but on the proviso that if the batsmen went after either of us we'd be taken off/rotated. To me this is bang out of order already, for any captain. To put pressure on bowlers like that. However, he squarely told me that I'd be guaranteed a bowl.

Then half way through the innings, he came up to me and told me to stay interested with my body language and that I'd be on soon. The overs came and went, the run chase went down despite wickets falling and then a number 8 came out, had a great innings and creamed off the remaining 40 or so runs with a succession of boundaries.

Obviously I was never put on, and other bowlers had two spells. I could not accept this, having bowled only 4 overs in the previous three matches.

At the end the stand in captain and vice captain both came up to me to "apologise" for not putting me on, I told them I wasn't having it and left pretty sharpish after a few exchanges of words. I wasn't having any of it and told them not to talk to me. The stand in captain gave himself a full 9 over allocation, naturally (0 wickets but economical).

The end!

I am really looking forward to a new club and challenge.

My figures for the season:-

Overs 66.1
Maidens 1
Runs 377
Wickets 15

Dismissals:-

Bowled 9
Caught 3
LBW 1
Stumped 2

Could have been worse, could have been better. I'll take those figures and look forward to a new chapter.

Last edited:
Does anyone here ever get to bowl with another spin bowler with 2 sets of stumps one at either end bowling taking turns bowling to each other. I used to do with my sons, but they always got fed up with it too fast. I've always rated it as a good method of practicing - because there's the potential to give immediate and helpful feedback. I've had the opportunity a couple of times in the last two weeks to do this and in doing so was able to work with my top-spinner which I rarely do

I do it with an off spinner in the outfield before the game. Well, I used to.

Back