Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wrist Spin Bowling

plate 10: leg break/doosra
plate 11: offspinner
plate 12: topspinner
plate 13: backspinner
plate 14: topspinner quite similar to plate 12

They all seem to be with a leg break grip, funnily enough contrary to warne/jenner with an important input from the thumb. I do not seem to see any flippers reverse or normal here if you look closely.

That is if that is what the batsman sees. If we cannot make head or tails of what they are, poor batsman yhat had to face him.

By the way Macca, Ashley Mallett wrote a biography about grimmett. It seems to be out of stock from amazon. Do you think it is any good?

Ripping-LegBreak;344372 said:
hmmm yeah i've tried the toppy a couple of times but it still came out like a legbreak due to the natural movement of the wrist to the left, I think i have a new theory. instead of my hand going over the ball on release for the toppy what if i bowl it from the back of the hand with the wrist cocked and flicking it straight without any finger involvement, i reckon it wont bounce but it'll still go straight right, with the seam vertical of course . I got this idea from the fastbowlers slower delivery with the seam vertical but coming out from the back of the hand. What do you guys think?

No. You've got to think in terms of your hand being dead straight, see Legspin bowling: The Top Spinner maybe have the thumb off the ball and concentrate on having the side of your wrist facing the bat, it should come in time also have a vertical arm rather than a round arm action.

someblokecalleddave;344042 said:
That's what I reckon anyway!
Yeah I got it wrong a bit, but it all depends the way you look at it I suppose. Grimmett used the grips to demonstrate the 4 basic different types of spin available, usually with a sqash ball on a table in his home, to anyone that was interested. The first time he played Bradman in a S.A v NSW Shield game he invited the young batsman ,amongst others, to his house after play one evening to give him a demo of spin on his table, maybe to try and plant a few doubts in his mind?

:eek: I've got a problem... I have come to the conclusion that I can bowl a better wrong 'un than leg break. That doesn't seem right. My leg break is almost straight, and low... Almost like a flipper. My wrong 'un moves more than three feet. Is there anything seriously wrong with me, or can I just not bowl a leg break?

sadspinner;344046 said:
By the way Macca, Ashley Mallett wrote a biography about grimmett. It seems to be out of stock from amazon. Do you think it is any good?

Yes , it is called " Scarlet" one of grimmetts many nicknames was scarl or scarlet after the scarlet pimpernell. It is an update of Malletts earlier bio called "Grimmett, the Bradman of Spin".
I am trying to get my library to get it at the moment.

You've got the Googly Syndrome. Which is a fatal error if you're serious about being a wrist spin bowler. It's taken me more than six months of intensive re-training to correct this (Might have been longer). It's a common problem amongst wrist spinners, once you reach a point where you can bowl the leg break you then go looking to bowl the variations and quite often the next one that you choose is the Wrong un/Googly. But if you heed the advice of anyone in the know they advise that as you learn it you should continue to bowl Leg Breaks primarily. So the training regime needs to be something along the lines of 'For every 7 Leg Break balls then try the wrong un'. Which if you want to bowl it makes no sense whatsoever in the short term. The problem is - in order to bowl the Wrong Un it is so radically a different action that if done intensively it leads to a kind of re-wiring of your brain that then means your natural action is the wrong un action. It's like driving a car - when you first get in a manual car you're asked to do so many things that it doesn't come easy but with training and practice it comes together. Bowling the Wrong Un in a way is like then getting another car with all the foot pedals, steering wheel, hand break all in the oppoiste places , so you have to re-learn how to now drive this new car, which would obviously mean that when you went back to a normal car that would feel totally alien again? Thus you'd have to re-learn it.

So this is what you've got to do as a wrist spinner - you've got to stop bowling wrong uns and re-learn the leg break. It's not going to be easy but it'll come.

Bowling out the captain was a good career move by berthwal. The captain might not have liked it , but he wont forget it.

someblokecalleddave;344364 said:
County team! Good work LL, let us know how you get on, how does your captain treat you as a leg spinner, does he give you your overs willingly and use you as an attack player or is he more inclined to use you when he's run out of ideas?

Yes sad tht my captain only uses me when all seamers have been whacked around the park and then throws me the ball and expects me to get a wicket or hold up one end, which as a bowler you like to create pressure for the batsmen not come on when the batsmen is pressuring you! , but thats the good thing about spin as batsmen are over confident and i often get alot of catches from my bowling after they try to slog me.
I wish i had a captain with more faith in spin!
he tends to bowl an off spinner before me tht is supremly flat and doesnt go for many runs, yet i put alot of revs with dip, flight etc.. and sometimes i can get whacked for a few 4's nd 6's but i always get wickets and even tho my economoy is averagely higher than the offie i garentuee wickets, but to my captain containment is bettr than wickets :/

wats ur views on this?

Yeah I get great pleasure out of bowling my captain out who's a Chinaman bowler and our all time biggest wicket taker over a season and also doesn't go for many runs. But I have realised that he tends to bowl at the last 5 and puts me and the others to bowl spin at the openers and middle order! But - yeah it's good to bowl out someone quite easily who should know what you're doing and has played cricket for over 20 years and have them say "Dave I can't play your balls - I don't know whether they're off breaks or leg breaks or whether they're going bounce or skid".

someblokecalleddave;344403 said:
You've got the Googly Syndrome. So the training regime needs to be something along the lines of 'For every 7 Leg Break balls then try the wrong un'.
So this is what you've got to do as a wrist spinner - you've got to stop bowling wrong uns and re-learn the leg break. It's not going to be easy but it'll come.

OK... I don't bowl it that often, I don't think. I generally bowl 6 balls in a pattern: Leg Break, Topspinner, Leg Break, Leg Break, Wrong 'Un, Leg Break. And then repeat. I know it's not 7 leg breaks to a wrong 'un, but it can't be messing me up that badly, can it? :confused:

Could it be that the ground I'm using to bowl on isn't exactly level? I have to go out to a park, find a tree, mark off the distance to the bowling crease and bowl at the tree, since you can't get a wicket in America... :(

... Or could it be that I've taught myself to bowl a flipper instead of the leg break?

I've just had a good 12 overs on my practice wicket bowling Leg Breaks and Top Spinners. The Leg breaks were turning well and on a good line and length generally - even got a bit cocky and threw few down the Leg side that turned in and hit the stumps!

Wrist Spin Bowling

Cotton Eye Joe;344418 said:
OK... I don't bowl it that often, I don't think. I generally bowl 6 balls in a pattern: Leg Break, Topspinner, Leg Break, Leg Break, Wrong 'Un, Leg Break. And then repeat. I know it's not 7 leg breaks to a wrong 'un, but it can't be messing me up that badly, can it? :confused:

Could it be that the ground I'm using to bowl on isn't exactly level? I have to go out to a park, find a tree, mark off the distance to the bowling crease and bowl at the tree, since you can't get a wicket in America... :(

... Or could it be that I've taught myself to bowl a flipper instead of the leg break?

im no expert on googly syndrome but i do know that some people are naturally googly bowlers, so maybe this is why

Great news about Adil Rashid making the initial England squad. Over the last few years England seem to be doing more to turn out legspinners than Australia.

My young bloke had another great bowling spell at indoor cricket tonight. He took 3 wickets in his two overs, two of them caught and 1 stumping. For indoor cricket he bowls lots of dot balls. Last week he was bowling just about all topspinners, this week nearly all leg-breaks.

I was comparing his bowling to a couple of other young leggies and the big difference is my son really spins the ball fast usually with a perfect rotation, whereas the others kids are still only rolling it, they are flicking their wrists O.k but not using their fingers enough, and the seam is wobbly and the spin slow.

We spend countless hours just spinning it to each other, trying to really get some revs on it, somewhere between roundarm and overarm over a few yards. It really toughens up his spinning finger, in fact the reason he works on his flipper sometimes is to give his third finger a break.

Well, if you're a wrist spinner you should have a decent Leg Break, I've noticed that some wrist spinners are credited as being primarily googly bowlers and that's their stock ball, but a lot of blokes on this thread have always advised me during the dark period when I could only bowl googlies to get the leg break back. Your googly should be a variation. My googly was a fantastic ball when it was my stock ball, but bowled as your stock ball it loses it's effectiveness. All the blokes on my team that bowl a good leg break get far more wickets than me and they've got no variations, so logically if I could produce a 'Good' leg break the Googly with it's surprise element suddenly becomes so much more effective? I would recommend that you bowl the leg break as your stock ball - Philpott would say that it's the way to go - I think Jenner says this too in his on-line videos as well.

Great to hear about your son and how promising he sounds. You are taking the right approach by helping him and using the techniques set out by philpott re the under arm and round arm approach, Unfortunately due to work i can only practice for 1 hour a week, and i jump straight to the 22 yards which is not ideal.

I know i being a bit daring to ask, but what grip, and what does grimmett say about how to bowl the small and big legbreak? I might have missed it if it was in an earlier post as i cannot follow the site everyday.

The Flipper is very different to a Leg Break, you're either bowling one or the other, you'll have to look at all the on-line resources and see what it is you're bowling. It could be down to bowling on a rough surface. Do you mean stumps when you say 'Wickets'?

Let's hope my son Joe engages with his bowling in the same way that your son has. He's pretty good with it all, he's alway up for a short spell of bowling, but as yet I've not been able to get through to him that he needs to be spinning the ball from hand to hand like I do all of the time, but I think it'll come in time. The local estate kids joined me for a game today, but my kids had gone out with their Mum so missed out. I reckon once the games get going with the rest of the kids off the estate, my boys ethusiasm should increase? I reckon too that one day Joe (the little-un) will just copy me and start spinning the ball himself.

Other than that I've just had a good net session with my team and for the first time ever I opted to bowl against the 1st team bats as opposed to the 2nd team bats. Wow - that was different! I had to really think and be tactical, but did succeed with all of them one by one. The only thing is - it's not like a real game situation where you can build the pressure or vice versa because you're rotating between 4 other blokes, but it's certainly a lot more challenging and it's where I'll be next week rather than the 2nd team players. More info and descriptions on my main blog at Wrist Spin Bowling

someblokecalleddave;344421 said:
The Flipper is very different to a Leg Break, you're either bowling one or the other, you'll have to look at all the on-line resources and see what it is you're bowling. It could be down to bowling on a rough surface. Do you mean stumps when you say 'Wickets'?

Wicket = set of three stumps and two bails... right? It's also the term used to say a batsman is out. His wicket is taken, right? :confused:

Anyway, the flipper is like a leg break, but it straightens and stays low upon pitching, right? That's what I get when I try a leg break - a ball that pitches, moves almost straight afterwords, and stays within 3 inches of the ground.

someblokecalleddave said:
It could be down to bowling on a rough surface.
Can you rephrase that? I don't quite understand. Are you saying that it could be that the ground is making it turn that way, rather than something wrong with my action?

sadspinner;344198 said:
Great to hear about your son and how promising he sounds. You are taking the right approach by helping him and using the techniques set out by philpott
Yes that underarm, round arm, overarm routine to another spinner or up against the wall. We only do 20 minutes and not every day but most days all year, like a musician does scales. Best way to teach or unteach a wrongun, as you already know.
My son has been bowling legspin now for 4 years, but we never do long sessions, maybe 20-40 minutes, and not every single day. We might have 6 weeks off all year where we dont do any cricket. But legspin is one branch of the game that you have to keep up all year, everyone one else can knock off cricket for the winter and play football, but I reckon legspinners can't afford to.
Check your email later, Im trying to send some stuff.

It is not only in america that there are no wickets. I think none of us has afull size wicket where we live. We tend to improvise. For example on a tennis court i find if i bowl from the service line on one side, the baseline on the other side is about the area where the batting crease would be, a further 1.2 metres behind the stumps would be located.

As regards the problem with the leg break i think getting philpotts book and reading and re-reading it helps no end(we should get a commission here). The way is start hand to hand, then underarm, then roundarm, then overarm over SHORT distances. Dave will tell you all about it.

Ripping LB, if you do not use your thumb to spin the ball, the thumb gives you an indication where the ball will spin. So it should point to the batsman. What i find is that if i release it before the position where i release the leg break ie before i pivot, the tendency is to bowl a topspinner. Also possibly keeping your hand /forearm more vertical may help as well. But do not get too fussed, having a good leg break is important especially if you rip it and have good accuracy. Apparently the movement going away from the batsman like an outswinger is much more dangerous.

Today i had a problem, I could not get the ball to go straight except with the flipper. Even the topspinner that really spat up high off the surface had some break in it. Despite the break it would not threaten the stumps as it goes pst the offside.I do not seem to have changed much of the action except for slowing the run up , increasing the pivot and possibly releasing the ball a bit later. Do not worry dave i have not beaten you to the massive leg break yet, but i would call it a medium leg break. Unfortunately i tend to bowl a leg stump or outside leg stump line despite my best efforts. Also tried the jenner backspinner over 22 yards, but i feel i may be chucking it, but it kept lowish even though off line.

Children dream of dads like you. I know you know this but be careful not to allow him to bowl over the whole 22 yards as probably he is not strong enough.

Woolmer in his book states that the ideal pitch length for different ages is:

7-10 years 15 yards
10-13yrs 18 yards
14 yrs up 22 yards.

Also he stresses to leave the natural action unless, there is something very wrong or there being a risk of injury.And also practice to be in short bursts as you do and being fun games.

Interestingly he states that professor heinrich magnus was sought for help by the prussian army in 1850 to study the trajectory of artillery shells. He noticed that rotating artillery shells deflected in the direction opposite to that of their spin (drift). Then he enters the physics of it all that I know you know by heart.

Cotton Eye Joe;344423 said:
Wicket = set of three stumps and two bails... right? It's also the term used to say a batsman is out. His wicket is taken, right? :confused:

Yeah - tricky one this one the word wicket is used to describe many things - Wicket - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia but I thought you were using the term to describe your lack of stumps?

Anyway, the flipper is like a leg break, but it straightens and stays low upon pitching, right? That's what I get when I try a leg break - a ball that pitches, moves almost straight afterwords, and stays within 3 inches of the ground.

This sounds as though you're bowling Flippers - are you clicking your finger and thumb together to squeeze the ball out of the hand to produce backspin? If you are you're bowling flippers and maybe your Flipper is like mine and turns towards the off-side like a leg break? The leg break has completely different characteristics - it bounces well and might have some dip.

Can you rephrase that? I don't quite understand. Are you saying that it could be that the ground is making it turn that way, rather than something wrong with my action?

If you're bowling onto a rough surface you might find that you'll get more turn with a lesser amount of spin. If the surface is slightly angled the ball will have a tendency to turn downhill and this will have a beneficial affect on the ball if you're trying to spin it in the direction of the slope.

Any news on the wings to fly and the grimmett book, dave? Did you have any time to practice or was it soggy , as at Lords they did not play today. By the way we may get to see warne for 4 overs at IPL matches. They played today and lost but he took a wicket.

Wings to fly was at the Post Office for collection today apparently so I should be picking it up this coming Thursday? The Grimmett book - they had a problem with my card, it sounded like the shop was run by some old dear and she was having aggro with the card machine and she eventually gave up saying 'If you want it send me a cheque' so I've still yet to do that. I've located the other book that Macca mentioned - 'Grimmett on cricket' (I think that was the name) but it's in a shop in Australia, so I've got to work out the costs to see if I can justify buying it.

On another subject I've been looking at different variations of the game to play with smaller numbers and came across this which is funny - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backyard_cricket

next week cricket season is starting and i haven't practiced for 8-9 months and being a legspinner do you guys think i have lost my legbreak in that time or legspinners just lose accuracy?

if ur a natural leg spinner it shouldnt take long to get ur line and length back, but if your not then it will take longer.

i just found out grimmet bowled fast/medium before converting to legspin which i also did, i guess we both viewed the magnificent art of leg spin and took it up, i took leg spin up at 15 and now pushing for my county team at age 17 :) guess we're naturals:p

I'm my teams spin bowler and in a couple of weeks we will be doing some T20 games. How should I bowl for T20, should I stay the same or change my tactics?

Cheers,
unspinable

Same i took up legspin at the age of 15 aswell, Im 16 now so im not that experienced yet but i do have a decent stock legbreak and i remember the first time i bowled legspin, It was very satisfying watching the ball zip to the left as a result of the graceful mechanism of the wrist. This season im hoping to develop my legspin skills further by hoping to create some variety, I have known to accidently bowl the sidespinner which happened like once in 50 balls. So i hope i can further understand my action better and go from there. Can i ask are you, do you have a front on action or a side on action, For me im inbetween but my hips and shoulders are in line so basically everythings going toward middlestump which is my natural line.

I do not think I am the ideal person to give advice but...

Ripping leg break, forget the past, go out if you are during your holidays and practice. You are young and have the time to improve. As all coaches say concentrate on your bread and butter leg break. If you are capable spin it hard, then try for accuracy. Buy the book by philpott and follow it religously.

Leggie law you are lucky to have the talent, but remember that talent without long hours practising and experimenting is not enough.If you were ever coached or have some tips, please share them here as everyone young and old is interested on this thread.

Unspinable;344431 said:
I'm my teams spin bowler and in a couple of weeks we will be doing some T20 games. How should I bowl for T20, should I stay the same or change my tactics?

Cheers,
unspinable

What do you do normally? I'd imagine what with it being a game where you're looking to make runs with every ball virtually - the batsman has got to be aggressive and look to dominate you? That to me sounds like you should be in for some wickets - how soon to the they play you normally?

I've just looked at who's on line and there's 5 people 4 of whom are wrist spinners that contribute to this thread!

NZ and India are on-line at the minute with Vettori bowling, it could be a long night as it 00.08hrs here in the UK!

make sure you have a side on action but make sure you feel natural with it.
and i did have a coach for a small period when i first began, he just watched me bowl and let me develop naturally but if i wasnt doing it right he would keep drumming in what i should be doing.
in the nets i used to practice

day1
30minutes- leg spin
10minutes- googly
30mins-legbreak
day2
30min googly
10min legspin
30min-googly
10min- leg spinday
day3
30min legspin
10minite- any variation
30min- legspin
half the session was without a batsmen then the 2nd half was with one, its important to practice at both. i find it hard to practice in winter though because i play football so i only practice once a week but soon as may comes i practice everyday sometimes hours on end.
most of what i do know dave has covered with he's great blog and this furom, im still learning everyday, and will continue to learn from this furom and books etc..

Yes, it could quite possibly be that the ground is uneven or sloped. Three feet is a massive amount of turn(unless your pitching it yards short of course). I played quite a few backyard style games in a carpark(using a tennis ball) that sloped away to the left. The turn the leg-break got was ridiculous. Probably about three feet off a length(and this when I had a rather lousy action with only a half-pivot).The most I've ever gotten off an even surface(although I strongly suspect that it is spin friendly) in the nets is two feet off a length.

It is very easy to tell if you are bowling a flipper. The flipper is the delivery with the clicking of the fingers motion at release.

Ripping-LegBreak;344308 said:
next week cricket season is starting and i haven't practiced for 8-9 months and being a legspinner do you guys think i have lost my legbreak in that time or legspinners just lose accuracy?

I'm with Macca on this - even people that don't bowl wrist spin acknowledge it is the most difficult discipline in cricket and if you want to stay on top of the game and get your overs in a match you're going to have to come up with the goods when you start to play. That coupled with general lack of understanding and empathy from most cricket captains you're always potentially going to be the bloke that's left in the field and overlooked as a bowler?

Saying that I don't think you'll lose it, yeah you may have lost some of your abilities, but more than anything you've lost 8 or 9 months of potential practice and learning which is a real shame. In that 8 or 9 months you could have worked on a new delivery and improved your Leg Break massively. Mr Philpott would not be impressed!

Cotton Eye Joe;344401 said:
:eek: I've got a problem... I have come to the conclusion that I can bowl a better wrong 'un than leg break. That doesn't seem right. My leg break is almost straight, and low... Almost like a flipper. My wrong 'un moves more than three feet. Is there anything seriously wrong with me, or can I just not bowl a leg break?
Cotton Eye Joes problem ,as Dave said , sounds like a bad case of wrongun syndrome, the other ball you have got might be some sort of accidental "slider". It doesn't sound like a leg break.
You must be releasing the ball with the back of your hand facing the batsman with ball coming over the palm of your hand, it sounds like you are getting good offspin though, so you must be getting some things right. A well spun wrongun will even drift towards off before spinning back in.
As you probably know we are big on Philpotts coaching methods here and as sadspinner was saying a good place to start learning a legspinner is underarm and the difference with a wrongun becomes immediately apparent.
It is far easier to demonstrate than describe but if you hold the ball so the back of your hand is facing the ground with your wrist cocked and your fingers facing your stomach , the hand is pointing to the left for the righthander and is on the inside of the arm. As you flick your wrist away from your body, frisbee like, the third finger goes from pointing to you and ends up pointing away,having imparted spin, the ball should travel up and spin clockwise. If you turn your wrist ,anti-clockwise, until the ball is leaving the outside of your arm with your hand pointing right, that is the wrongun.
As you look down at this underarm position you are seeing the delivery as the batsman would see it and when you get the hang of it try roundarm, now the legbreak comes from "underneath" the arm with the back of the hand facing the sky and the wrongun from "above", with the back of the hand facing the ground.
When you get the hang of roundarm move on to overarm, but dont worry about the wrongun too much at first, try and get the legbreak happenning. At release the back of your hand should face you and your palm face the batsman. The wrist moves right to left, the third finger should impart anti-clockwise spin from the bowlers viewpoint.

sadspinner;344300 said:
Children dream of dads like you. I know you know this but be careful not to allow him to bowl over the whole 22 yards as probably he is not strong enough.

Woolmer in his book states that the ideal pitch length for different ages is:

7-10 years 15 yards
10-13yrs 18 yards
14 yrs up 22 yards.

Also he stresses to leave the natural action unless, there is something very wrong or there being a risk of injury.And also practice to be in short bursts as you do and being fun games.

Interestingly he states that professor heinrich magnus was sought for help by the prussian army in 1850 to study the trajectory of artillery shells. He noticed that rotating artillery shells deflected in the direction opposite to that of their spin (drift). Then he enters the physics of it all that I know you know by heart.

That's interesting Saddo, as I'm trying to get my 7 year old to bowl 17 yards and at the moment he's struggling, maybe I should shorten it till his arm gets a bit stronger. And yeah I'm a definite advocate of the short and sweet approach and as soon as he/they signs of getting fed up with it I let them go otherwise it's going to be seen as a chore.

someblokecalleddave;344433 said:
What do you do normally? I'd imagine what with it being a game where you're looking to make runs with every ball virtually - the batsman has got to be aggressive and look to dominate you? That to me sounds like you should be in for some wickets - how soon to the they play you normally?

I've just looked at who's on line and there's 5 people 4 of whom are wrist spinners that contribute to this thread!

NZ and India are on-line at the minute with Vettori bowling, it could be a long night as it 00.08hrs here in the UK!

I normally put it on about middle-off and fairly full, turning it to slips, But I get smashed alot so I don't know if thats good for T20.

I normally start bowling about half way threw the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back