DVCA Barclay Shield 09/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: DVCA Barclay Shield 09/10

Hoggy;383637 said:
Our under 16s this year probably has the best lot of talent in the one side for at least five seasons, whether they go on with it or not is another thing, but all the names David mentioned are going to be good players.

The biggest issue at our club is as soon as juniors finish, there is the massive issue of "can't be ****ed" syndrome that happens. From last year's 16s side, there is one player that is playing B grade this year. I think there is one other that plays in the lower grades. Where do the other nine go? Who knows?

Around the actual clubrooms this year, the environment has been the best it has been for ages, Trevor Chrimes, the new President, has been doing a fantastic job with the social functions, there's a new range of club clothing, big junior numbers in all ages, we play on the best ground in the Valley, we have good nets (despite them facing directly into the sun, which in my opinion helps no ones batting practice), and generally we all get along reasonably well with one another.

At the moment we just can't seem to get our best team on the field either. I think we have five blokes missing this week that would be in at the moment (Quinny has a pea heart by the way). People have gone away, one has to work, one is studying, etc, basically they are all legit reasons. But anyway, tomorrow is a new round and the 11 that go out there will have a fair dinkum crack at it. I'm 110% pumped for it myself, two Saturdays without cricket have been boring as bat shit...I went shopping last Saturday...shopping!. And when we go out to bowl (Willo will lose the toss) we will do all we can to get those 10 Lalor Stars blokes back into the shade as quick as possible.

Carna Pantha

ps. The rundown of tomorrow's 11s age.

15-20 - 1
21-25 - 4
26-30 - 2
31-35 - 3
36+ - 1

Mate, I only play Money Shiled, but it seems highly unreasonable to use age and experience as an excuse when 6 of your players are 25 and over? I dont think you improve much after 25 to be honest. Maybe become smarter... but i dont think the ability to develope is exponential. (4 above 30). Good sides jel and mould with a mix of players in different ages.

The general way you have been brought up to play, the idiosyncrasies you have developed within your technique and your general mentality willl most likely remain with you for the rest of your playing days.

Maybe that number of below under 25's is high for Barclay? Is it?

Sounds more like ability is the main reason...

Sticky Wicket;383917 said:
Mate, I only play Money Shiled, but it seems highly unreasonable to use age and experience as an excuse when 6 of your players are 25 and over? I dont think you improve much after 25 to be honest. Maybe become smarter... but i dont think the ability to develope is exponential. (4 above 30). Good sides jel and mould with a mix of players in different ages.

The general way you have been brought up to play, the idiosyncrasies you have developed within your technique and your general mentality willl most likely remain with you for the rest of your playing days.

Maybe that number of below under 25's is high for Barclay? Is it?

Sounds more like ability is the main reason...

Last year we regulary ran an A grade side with 4-5 under 18yo. This year we have 7 players 25 and under (inc 3, 18 and under), 2 players between 25 and 30, 2 players over 30. I think it`s alot more common for younger guys to play and go ok in the top grades, compared to when I played A grade in the early 90`s. I think the standard is alot more accepting of blooding the younger players, not to mention the pitches which up untill the current crop of synthetic, has been more benign.

The430king;383737 said:
It's a fair point you make there Hoggy. But out of all these 11 players that are walking out onto the ground on Saturday, how much A grade experience has the team got besides Willo and Skips. Are the blokes that are playing up to the standards of A grade? It is very hard situation that your club is in at the moment. My club as well are in your situation currently, being Lower Eltham, but I think our situation is a little different. We have got players who have performed in A grade in the past. Our top 3 batsmen last year in Whitcher, Poyser and Curtis made at least 1500 runs between them last year and have only made a total of 300 between them this year. Our main problem this year has been form. There can be excuses made to that, but that's fact. We also have a few blokes that are probably quite up to the standard, but do have a red hot crack each week, as does Eltham. We also have blooded a couple of players this year to see what they've got as well as blooding a first gamer today who thoroughly deserves his chance. At least your club has an Under 16 and 14 teams this year that you can come through in the next couple of years.

PS. Your right about Quinny lol.

You know i have a lot of respect for the Lower boys Jim but you saying that would have to put Eltham in front of Lower then? We don't have the ability you have, you have a number of guns ie Burgs, yet are on the same amount of points??? Whats happened to you guys this year?

By the way bit harsh on being called soft. Copped one on the knee after about 50 overs, fielded the rest of the day chasing Hoggy's crap to the fence and had in fact fractured my knee! Little bit tough to be called soft!

Rumour is you fielded for 1 day, then had to take a week off work?

Sticky Wicket;383917 said:
Mate, I only play Money Shiled, but it seems highly unreasonable to use age and experience as an excuse ...

If you look at what Hoggy was replying to he was asked the question! So it wasn't used as an excuse!

Tongs;383999 said:
You know i have a lot of respect for the Lower boys Jim but you saying that would have to put Eltham in front of Lower then? We don't have the ability you have, you have a number of guns ie Burgs, yet are on the same amount of points??? Whats happened to you guys this year?

By the way bit harsh on being called soft. Copped one on the knee after about 50 overs, fielded the rest of the day chasing Hoggy's crap to the fence and had in fact fractured my knee! Little bit tough to be called soft!

Rumour is you fielded for 1 day, then had to take a week off work?

The guys just haven't been making runs, plain and simple. We definitely have the ability. On paper we have got one of the most formidable batting line ups in the comp, but haven't been able to convert that into runs. We could come up with excuses like not having any nets for 2 months, but simply there probably hasn't been enough pride put on their wickets. When you have our no.10 batsmen leading the batting average, though won't win because of not enough runs and our leading run scorer batting at 7 and only having he's first year in A grade, you've gotta go back to the drawing board. We have got a couple of batting options coming through in Jon Short and Matt Tucker, but we have to get some more out of the experienced batsman. They all know they have been below par for the year and will be busting there gut to rectify themselves and have a big finish to the year. The bowling and fielding haven't been a problem. Burgs has stepped up to lead the attack and has been fantastic, and has had great support from the rest. With a good day in the field last Saturday, restricting Bundoora to 165 after being 1/95, hopefully will give the lads a lift and they'll make the runs on the weekend and build some confidence in the final 3 games.

As for you and I, you need a bag of concrete mix and me, yes I did have a week off work. Actually had 2 weeks off, but they were already planned, and boy I needed them, because I couldn't walk for a week. The mrs nearly belted me in the head so I didn't keep sooking about my sore legs.

Tongs;384000 said:
If you look at what Hoggy was replying to he was asked the question! So it wasn't used as an excuse!

Understand, allthough that was his response to the question. Having 5 younger team members of 25 or less is affecting the teams performance.

Sounds like an excuse that's all I am saying. As other people have said, younger players in other sides have been performing well and contributing, maybe it's a lack of performances from the older guys or simply their general ability is less than other teams.

Or is it that they don't throw the same amount of money around to recruit players like other Barclay teams :)

Sticky Wicket;384022 said:
Understand, allthough that was his response to the question. Having 5 younger team members of 25 or less is affecting the teams performance.

Sounds like an excuse that's all I am saying. As other people have said, younger players in other sides have been performing well and contributing, maybe it's a lack of performances from the older guys or simply their general ability is less than other teams.

Or is it that they don't throw the same amount of money around to recruit players like other Barclay teams :)

Older players not performing? Our leading run scorer is second oldest. Leading wicket taker and 2nd leading are oldest and 3rd oldest. So that point is out the window.

As for money, no we do not pay too much money compared to other clubs. Its a little bit hard to throw thousands at a player and they end up getting more than what we are paying the best bat in the comp! Thats just down right disrespectful!

NEWCC (L);382077 said:
you used the same one-liner to me if I recall correctly.
A FEW NERVOUS BOYS DOWN N.E.W.CC THIS WEEK???

LOWER ELTHAM 1/35 vs BUN 164 (very disappointing so far)
&
ELTHAM 242 vs AN UNDER-MANNED STARS TEAM,

BOTH VERY GOOD CHANCES THIS WEEK TO GET UP.

THE PREZ;384034 said:
A FEW NERVOUS BOYS DOWN N.E.W.CC THIS WEEK???

LOWER ELTHAM 1/35 vs BUN 164 (very disappointing so far)
&
ELTHAM 242 vs AN UNDER-MANNED STARS TEAM,

BOTH VERY GOOD CHANCES THIS WEEK TO GET UP.

Plenty 268 v North Eltham 2/38. Can't see them getting home from there. Lalor Stars are very undersmanned from what I believe and Bundoora are 1 bowler short as well. Bundoora's batting was a little disappointing. Had control of there innings twice and let it slip.

Would love to see the 12yo's from NEW mouthing off if Lower Eltham, and Eltham get up this week! They have been lippy all year, might put them back in their box.

In saying that, neither Lower or Eltham are a certainty to win! Both need to play well above what they have been!

Its a shame the NEW kids are like this because the senior blokes are all quality guys, and would hate the young kids getting on here saying the things they do!

Tongs;384024 said:
Older players not performing? Our leading run scorer is second oldest. Leading wicket taker and 2nd leading are oldest and 3rd oldest. So that point is out the window.

As for money, no we do not pay too much money compared to other clubs. Its a little bit hard to throw thousands at a player and they end up getting more than what we are paying the best bat in the comp! Thats just down right disrespectful!

I would not have thought Mark Minney would begrudge the club paying decent cash to a quality cricketer or two, if it meant an opportunity to improve the side and perhaps play finals. I`m quite sure is local sporting career has been based on the foundation of loyalty and love of his clubs! If it meant his club ws successful, paying someone more than what he is getting should not be an issue. If you have the neccessary resources, why not use them and reward the man with some backup and give him the opportunity for success before he finishes up. That indeed would be respect!

brutal;384113 said:
I would not have thought Mark Minney would begrudge the club paying decent cash to a quality cricketer or two, if it meant an opportunity to improve the side and perhaps play finals. I`m quite sure is local sporting career has been based on the foundation of loyalty and love of his clubs! If it meant his club ws successful, paying someone more than what he is getting should not be an issue. If you have the neccessary resources, why not use them and reward the man with some backup and give him the opportunity for success before he finishes up. That indeed would be respect!

My point is this though, and i'll start by saying that i have NO IDEA at all what he would be on, so i will say $5,000 per season.

Skips gets $5,000 and makes 700+ runs for the year.

Player X gets $10,000+ (to antice him to change clubs and be competitive with the market) and makes 400 runs for the year!

Thats complete bullshlt and we all know it. You cannot possibly do that to someone of Skips ability! Sure he would love to play finals, and would love to get a player to help support him. But at the same time, that is simply not fair!

Tongs;384121 said:
My point is this though, and i'll start by saying that i have NO IDEA at all what he would be on, so i will say $5,000 per season.

Skips gets $5,000 and makes 700+ runs for the year.

Player X gets $10,000+ (to antice him to change clubs and be competitive with the market) and makes 400 runs for the year!

Thats complete bullshlt and we all know it. You cannot possibly do that to someone of Skips ability! Sure he would love to play finals, and would love to get a player to help support him. But at the same time, that is simply not fair!

Fair point you make there Dave but Skipps want be around forever I'm sure he has borderline retired in the last 3 years but has had to play because of his loyalty to the club and knows the position the club would be in if he didn't play.

I agree with Brutal that you could bring someone in and I don't think it would bother Skips at all if this player was on more then him. Sometimes you have to over play a player to entice them down and then maybe set the contract as performance based so you pay for there output.

i agree with tongs but in reality sometimes it does not happen , some blokes like your minneys/keays/turner etc might not ask for much if any because of loyalty but to entice other players you might need to throw a little bit more at them and hope they stick around and give something back to the club. Have a look when the imports where playing i am sure some of them were getting more than established players and some of them made better taxi drivers than cricketers:D

milo kerrigan;384132 said:
i agree with tongs but in reality sometimes it does not happen , some blokes like your minneys/keays/turner etc might not ask for much if any because of loyalty but to entice other players you might need to throw a little bit more at them and hope they stick around and give something back to the club. Have a look when the imports where playing i am sure some of them were getting more than established players and some of them made better taxi drivers than cricketers:D

You can't put the big unit in that group! He is the Kickett of the DVCA, racking up more clubs than Tiger Woods racks up women! :D:D

The430king;384040 said:
Plenty 268 v North Eltham 2/38. Can't see them getting home from there. Lalor Stars are very undersmanned from what I believe and Bundoora are 1 bowler short as well. Bundoora's batting was a little disappointing. Had control of there innings twice and let it slip.

Two of our better performed bats this year - Fairchild & Taggar didnt play. No excuses though.
Only 2 partnerships all day.
Were 1/0
Then 2/95 then 5/100
Then 6/152 - 10/164.
Effectively lost 9/17 in two sections.

Changing the locks on the oval so council cannot cut grass this week. :D
Lower will be lucky to get another 80 all day if that is the case.

THE PREZ;384135 said:
Two of our better performed bats this year - Fairchild & Taggar didnt play. No excuses though.
Only 2 partnerships all day.
Were 1/0
Then 2/95 then 5/100
Then 6/152 - 10/164.
Effectively lost 9/17 in two sections.

Changing the locks on the oval so council cannot cut grass this week. :D
Lower will be lucky to get another 80 all day if that is the case.

I'll be riding down Plenty Rd on my ride on mower on Friday night with and angle grinder and an esky to cut the grass. I'll apologize in advance if there are truckloads of emptys on Yulong on Saturday morning.

The430king;384139 said:
I'll be riding down Plenty Rd on my ride on mower on Friday night with and angle grinder and an esky to cut the grass. I'll apologize in advance if there are truckloads of emptys on Yulong on Saturday morning.

And a naked fat man thinking about a Lower Eltham win pleasuring himself in the nets......... :eek:

Tongs;384043 said:
Would love to see the 12yo's from NEW mouthing off if Lower Eltham, and Eltham get up this week! They have been lippy all year, might put them back in their box.

In saying that, neither Lower or Eltham are a certainty to win! Both need to play well above what they have been!

Its a shame the NEW kids are like this because the senior blokes are all quality guys, and would hate the young kids getting on here saying the things they do!
In defence of the NEWCC "12yos", they have been subjected to some pretty ordinary, unprovoked, over the top and unecessary tounge lashings themselves from some very seasoned, accomplished, well respected (by the 12yos) DVCA legends this year.

All the lads, myself included (12yo x 3 almost), would love nothing more than to continue to play and compete against the type of guys mentioned above.

I think the young boys enthusiasm to compete can be lost in translation sometimes on the field and they end up copping the premature wrath of the more opinionated forum scribes.

The lads are having a crack and I think its great to hear and see them dishing a bit out on field to those they look up to and desire to play cricket like the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back