Indian Cricket League

Re: Indian Cricket League

Now that I feel more informed and am aware more of Indian domestic cricket, I am starting to support the ICL more.

The BCCI are pathetic in banning people from their jobs (or making them enforce stricter hours) and from grounds. It perplexes me as to why they did not embrace the idea of grooming Indian talent in parallel to the BCCI tournaments. The idea of feeling threatened is pathetic too because I feel that the original intention of the ICL was a parallel (not a rebel league) and so the BCCI could have supplied grounds and possibly players in exchance for slight control over the league.

Reading an article on cricinfo, I have learnt that one state association introduced central contracts of just $500 a year (in rupees of course). For those not familiar of the Indian economy, that will go about as far as $1000 so it is hardly anything.

All domestic cricketers have jobs with allowances for cricket in return for playing in company games. This is insane, domestic cricketers should not have jobs outside cricket, they should be able to earn a living from their states and be paid in the winter too, to train and participate in winter training.

The whole idea of company games is a bit of a joke too, it just becomes a contest about money and who can hire the best players - where the hell is the pride in that? They might as well just compare turnover figures.

The BCCI are among the richest boards in world cricket, they should make sure that domestic cricketers are at least paid contracts of over $5,000 a year. This brings me on to my next point, cricinfo note that the ICL teams are being given access to trainers and physios who are 'streets ahead' of what they would have had in domestic cricket. Can the BCCI not afford quality trainers and physios? I doubt that a quality sports physio such as Liz would not have a fee beyong the unlimited funds of the BCCI. It is just stingyness and lazyness and I support the ICL's committment to quality of cricket.

cricinfo said:
The ICL, for all the talk of being the poor cousin to the Indian board's Indian Premier League, is still an option that a number of Indian domestic players are seriously considering. As recently as September, a couple of players on the fringes were apparently seriously contemplating joining. Both made their India debuts subsequently and shelved the plan.

With a quick cricinfo search, I figured that these people were, two of:

• P Kumar - Would have been a fantastic performer in ICL, is a great talent but it would not have been right for him to join ICL since he has been treated well.
  • Joginder Sharma - A great domestic performer, especially in FC cricket (with a bowling average of approx. 20 in Super League games and a batting average hovering around 30). He should play in India As four day games but has not been treated well. India are adament in blooding him in through T20 and ODI and for this reason, he should join the ICL in perhaps one or two years when FC games are being introduced.
  • YK Pathan - A fantastic talent with the bat, with an ability to score at over a run a ball in ODIs and over two runs a ball in T20, he is also a more than handy off spin bowler.
Three great talents, two of whom were thinking about the ICL; the BCCI should take notice and up the standards before it is too late and they will have lost a large chunk of talent.

In my opinion, the ICL should look to recruit a slightly higher standard of player. Someone like Balaji who is not likely to play for India again, with the endless fast bowling pool or even Badrinath, who it seems will never get that Test cap.

The ICL has been pretty good so far the young Indians look very talented especially in the field which is something you don't hear every day!For the English viewers if you have the standard sky package you can watch it on zee music channel 789.

Have been meaning to sit down and watch a bit of this but the low scores are putting me off a bit.

From what I've read though (thank manee and a few other places) it does seem that whilst the quality of cricket is slightly below par, the behind the scenes work is top notch.

StanTheMan said:
the quality of cricket is slightly below par

-The quality of batting is below par.
-The TV production values are below par.
-The quality of pace bowling is par.
-The quality of spin bowling is above par.
-The quality of fielding is far above par.

manee said:
-The quality of batting is below par.
-The TV production values are below par.
-The quality of pace bowling is par.
-The quality of spin bowling is above par.
-The quality of fielding is far above par.
I dont think the batting is below par. The pitch and the ground are not so good. They should have tested the pitch and made it very flat because the people wont be interesed if the matches are low scoring. The dust keeps flying on the ground when the players dive there is no grass. The tv broadcast is not too bad either. It is very good compared to the india vs pakistan match on dd national.

Now this has had a few more games, are there any further thoughts on it? I can't help thinking it's a bit of a damp squib all told?

a lot of matches have been low scores......they did very hard work in setting icl but the batting is not entertaining.......every time the teams lose early wickets and they only get a run rate of 6 or 7.......lara has been flop too....i stopped watching after first 3-4 matches.

It struck me this morning that the biggest issue facing the ICL is that it's located in just the one ground. Surely, the once the novelty has worn off you're going to see dwindling grounds?

Yes they have only one ground. Its not very good too. Its all because BCCI banned it on all their grounds. I think if they got better grounds then ICL would be more successful.

Rohitpatel said:
Yes they have only one ground. Its not very good too. Its all because BCCI banned it on all their grounds. I think if they got better grounds then ICL would be more successful.
The ground given was also not in best of shape.But with a pitch curator(from South Africa) and a hardworking team.They managed to keep the show running on time.
I am not able to watch the matches on time;Hope to catch the action on Sports news and details from u guys :)

i watched the game between jets and champs yesterday. there was some brilliant hitting by nixon at the end of the innings but champs disappointed. its their third straight loss and lara has failed miserably in this tournament. i expected some more action in this tournament given that its a t20 competetion.

Diwakar got hard hit in he head by the ball. The batsman hit it so hard and it went in only 0.4 seconds. He could have broken his jaw. I hope he is ok. He continued to bowl still and got the batsmans wicket later in the over too.

Some sensational big hitting by Klusener and Mcmillan in the match. Klusener bowled well in the match too and he got the man of the match award. Wow I didnt knew the man of the match got Rs 3.75 lakh  :eek:

woah chandigarh got 219 in this match!! looks like mumbai champs are on track to lose another game. chris cairns tore the bowling apart. 7 sixes in his innings of 70 from 26 balls! there has been some good big hitting in the recent matches but most of that has come from the international players which is a bit disappointing.

Mumbai Champs have managed to make 187 in their final match. There have been some high scoring matches in the past 2 days. I think they might have improved the pitch or maybe the batsmen have adjusted to the pitch and learned how to play on them.

I have been iimpressed with some of the Indian blokes. Shreyas Khanolkar, Abbas Ali, Manish Mishra seem to be pretty decent players. The finals should be interesting. A lot of money is at stake.

Almost_Austwick said:
Who is actually in the final? I have to say that I totally lost interest in the tournament.

To be honest, the contest has detiorated into a batting fest with only the slow and spin bowlers having much effect with the ball. All of the bowlers who bowled over 130kph at the start have either fatigued and dropped pace or have been dropped/rested for poor performances.

Back