Leg Spin Video Analysis

Re: Leg Spin Video Analysis

those nets look awesome to bowl on. similar to the local nets i use in summer, but with what looks to be a better covering. im convinced that the soft brand new nets at my club inhibit turn and bounce. the same at indoor nets, i get it to do more off of the carpeted floor than off the cricket mats. they are designed to give realistic bounce for pace bowlers, and nothing else comes into consideration.

Jim2109;396556 said:
those nets look awesome to bowl on. similar to the local nets i use in summer, but with what looks to be a better covering. im convinced that the soft brand new nets at my club inhibit turn and bounce. the same at indoor nets, i get it to do more off of the carpeted floor than off the cricket mats. they are designed to give realistic bounce for pace bowlers, and nothing else comes into consideration.

yeah that one in particular is brilliant, spinners paradise. so much bounce on offer and it just rips off that surface. the one next to it is more realistic. anything short sits up and begs to be spanked, prob more realistic for most English wickets to be honest. it certainly requires me to keep my length very consistent, not always achieveable sadly.

GoldenArm;396567 said:
yeah that one in particular is brilliant, spinners paradise. so much bounce on offer and it just rips off that surface. the one next to it is more realistic. anything short sits up and begs to be spanked, prob more realistic for most English wickets to be honest. it certainly requires me to keep my length very consistent, not always achieveable sadly.

Here is our favourite net, the roof is a bit shot though. YouTube - gunnerjimmy.wmv

macca;396604 said:
Here is our favourite net, the roof is a bit shot though. YouTube - gunnerjimmy.wmv

I bowled over the weekend at a net I've never been to - West Hallam in Derbyshire. The surface/bounce didn't offer a lot of assistance with my normal bowling, but later in the session I changed over to bowling the Biggun (Which is slowly coming together) which then turned nicely. But the key thing that i noticed was that I couldn't really bowl in the net properly because it was simply too low at the front. I noticed in Macca's net - the net has been pushed back to allow for the initial flighted release from the hand to be accomodated. Which kind of demonstrates that clubs and net manufacturers discriminate against spinnners in the design of the nets? I had to pull the stumps right out to the front of the net nearly and bowl from a long way back.

someblokecalleddave;396619 said:
Which kind of demonstrates that clubs and net manufacturers discriminate against spinnners in the design of the nets?

I can't say that they do, it's just that having nets over a certain height causes certain issues. Mainly cost but you do get people moaning if their garden is overlook by a whacking great big net!

From what I've seen around here, most new nets are tall enough to allow the spinners to have that way for a reason.

mas cambios;396622 said:
I can't say that they do, it's just that having nets over a certain height causes certain issues. Mainly cost but you do get people moaning if their garden is overlook by a whacking great big net!

From what I've seen around here, most new nets are tall enough to allow the spinners to have that way for a reason.

Most of the dozen net set ups around our place are designed to allow some flight but there is this one where the front cross bar is placed so you end up hitting it every 3rd ball if you bowl legspin. If you are hitting that crosspipe it means you are probably lobbing it up too much and you can use it as a guide to aim your flight but it can be so frustrating we never use that set of nets.

mas cambios;396622 said:

These particular nets were 400 yards from the nearest houses. At 9'9" (3mtrs) Harrod Heavy Duty Parks Cricket Cages from £1,081.89 at Newitts.com anyone that has these types or anything under 4 metres is pushing it a bit?

It's made me think what my flight is like and whether this means I'm getting some good dip towards the end of the flight?

the nets at my village club are very low, plus all the cable ties were broken at the front so the net hung down as well!! i regularly put the ball on top of the nets last year, but i think ive got better control of my flight now so that will be reserved for bad deliveries. it can get incredibly frustrating, but at the same time i think anything that goes more than about 4 feet above the batsmans eyeline is a bit much anyway. so a net that is at least 10 feet tall should be suffice. if youre putting it on top then you could probably benefit from lowering your flight a little anyway. but it depends on pace, because if you bowl slowly then you have no choice.

a more annoying feature of nets is when they arent properly secured and the nets arent tight. so every time the wind blows youve got a net protruding about 3 feet across the wicket. ive said before that i think having the nets around you can play tricks on your mind and cause accuracy problems. well when its skewed to leg side (which is the way the wind always blows) its inevitable that the ball will end up leg side. which may have been the initial cause of my legside tendancy when i was still learning the basics in nets that leant 10 degrees to leg side, and wind blew the nets even further in.

an even bigger annoyance is a net that has holes at the back, with a corn field behind it with corn taller than me. balls gets through, and you spend forever looking for them!!

The nets I bowl in have holes all through them at the back and theres a black BMW that parks on the street behind them that has copped a few over the past few months.

The Top Spinner | Facebook

if any of you chaps are on facebook i've started up a fan page thats linked to my blog. i'll be updating both far more regularly now with news, views, videos, links, tips, photos, anything I can really. i'll also plug your blogs as well if you join! i was going to put pencil cricket up there and dave's blog as they are both very charming and informative. spread the word! and the word is Spin. cheers

I had a look at it but couldn't really see how I could interact with it or do you have to sign up or something? Looked like a good way to perhaps encourage more people to get involved here rather than just look at this stuff and read it?

someblokecalleddave;396684 said:
I had a look at it but couldn't really see how I could interact with it or do you have to sign up or something? Looked like a good way to perhaps encourage more people to get involved here rather than just look at this stuff and read it?

you'll need to sign up to facebook if you haven't already, hopefully it'll get people more involved and i thought perhaps provide a bit of a hub for all our various blogs. i'll post up random parts on a daily basis along with links to videos etc..should get people checking them out. need to build up that fan base first!

bobby, all signed up and looking around now, watched your bowling agian, have no advice but to just start agian! aha. nah i reckon the advice given early on was sound. i will try and upload my vids on here when i have the time. rors

rorymathews;396777 said:
bobby, all signed up and looking around now, watched your bowling agian, have no advice but to just start agian! aha. nah i reckon the advice given early on was sound. i will try and upload my vids on here when i have the time. rors

nice one Rory! get the vids up so we can have a gander.

thinking back to it i last did some at the start of my winter nets and my action has hopefully improved since then so will try and get some done tomorrow at nets if dave brings his camera! bring along some paper as well so we can record our bowling :) cheers

totally off subject but do any of you fellow bloggers know a) how to add another section that i can put links to other peoples blogs on and b) how the hell you change the background. i feel sure its bound to involve html editing...*shudder*... also if you're wondering who this young upstart above me is he's a young worcestershire county leg spinner who plays in the same club side as me. I see a Warne vs MacGill style rivalry building in the near future as we compete for overs :)

GoldenArm;396787 said:
totally off subject but do any of you fellow bloggers know a) how to add another section that i can put links to other peoples blogs on and b) how the hell you change the background. i feel sure its bound to involve html editing...*shudder*... also if you're wondering who this young upstart above me is he's a young worcestershire county leg spinner who plays in the same club side as me. I see a Warne vs MacGill style rivalry building in the near future as we compete for overs :)

Get Rory to post more and start contributing, I think some of us have been round the block a few times and there's a need for some frsh blood.

With regards the changing the background it's in Dashboard - Layout - fonts and colours or in the change layout option. It's easy and doesn't involve HTML stuff.

bobby that is only if ali gives us the overs to compete, but if you can get your variations working and my toppy working we will be able to take a lot of wickets this year :) 50 combined??

Back