Leg Spin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Leg Spin

Cheers Tom, I had a look at that - "Leg spin is hard work but immensely rewarding. The best bowling practice is done away from batsman and flying balls. Get 6 balls and bowl over after over on your own in the nets (or better still to a keeper out in the middle) until you find an easily repeatable stock delivery". This is what I'm currently working on with the top spinner as previously mentioned. Although I did spend all summer working with the flipper, but I seem to have had problems with it and inconsistency with the delivery, so have shoved that to one side for the moment. Having said that I throw a few every now and then and it's a good ball to have I reckon? It seems that not being so hung up on being good at it and only using it every now and then seems to have improved my delivery with it. Additionally (And I'd be interested in hearing other peoples opinion on this) I've started pitching it at the stumps rather than wide of off. I find I can make the flipper turn acutely like a leg break on all sorts of surfaces with all sorts balls, but then faced with cricket pitches here in the UK this summer I couldn't get it to happen? Does anyone else use the flipper and find that it turns like a standard leg break?

"I always feel that leg spinners should threaten the stumps and risk being driven. Bowling short is the real killer for leggies so avoid that at all costs. If you can get hold of the ECB Wings To Fly 2 DVD that would help you an enormous amount".

Again this is something I've adopted having tried to be Shane Warne all summer and pitching the ball wide of off to be knocked for fours or given as wides. This is what the old bloke did that came away with the 7 maiden overs - pitching the ball at the stumps.

The short ball issue that's interesting - what would constitute a short ball?

With regards to Sean - Sean I'm after any input from anyone that bowls spin even if you're a left arm bowler as long as you're bowling wrist spin I'm listening? I play for a Sunday 2nd XI team alongside 13 year olds that bowl good leg spin and take loads of wickets. I can't bowl standard leg spin for some reason anymore despite starting off with it.

I just want to hear about other peoples experiences, tactics, training ideas and games - anything that'll give me a clue as to what I may be able to do or adopt to improve my game.

Sid you said -

I think an important thing with leg spin is to make sure that you finish your action properly.Once the action is correct pitching the ball in the proper areas should be a lot easier and then one can try variations with length,pace and amount of spin.Thats what my amateur skills tell.

Are you talking about the follow through when you say finish your action or do you mean the whole thing from the run up to the follow through?

someblokecalleddave said:
The short ball issue that's interesting - what would constitute a short ball?

I guess anything that sits up beggin to be smacked! Maybe 5/6 yards shorter than a good length ball?

With regards the question to Sid "What's your most affective strategy"? That relates to how do you approach the game - are you aiming to force edges, draw the batsman out of the crease, bowl the ball round the back of his legs, throw leggies and then a sneaky top spinner to get him off the gloves - that kind of thing.

The last game I played I threw combinations of Wrong Uns and Flippers and was well pleased when I heard the bloke saying I can't figure this bloke out he's throwing off spin and leg spin!

Do you mix it up lots or throw a consistent ball and then a surprise one? Stuff like that?

Sid - What's your stock ball and do you pitch it down the middle threatening the stumps or pitch it wide to turn it in? What kind of length do you bowl and what's your strategy when you're bowling?

For instance there's another thread elsewhere here in the bowling section relating to patience where Tom (I think) talks about throwing 5 standard balls followed by the opposite approach in-swingers and out-swingers then followed up with a short ball and a yorker and then reverting to the 5 standard balls.

These are the tactics I want to hear about? I'd also like to hear from a batsmans point of view what's the most problematic thing a leg spinner can do - what makes a really good leg spinner?

For instance there's another thread elsewhere here in the bowling section relating to patience where Tom (I think) talks about throwing 5 standard balls followed by the opposite approach in-swingers and out-swingers then followed up with a short ball and a yorker and then reverting to the 5 standard balls.

These are the tactics I want to hear about? I'd also like to hear from a batsmans point of view what's the most problematic thing a leg spinner can do - what makes a really good leg spinner?

From a batsmans point of view I think if the leg spinner can create pressure then thats something which is hard to get out of. A four ball an over takes that pressure away but 3 singles seems to add to it.

I also hate having to play at every ball, 3 or 4 balls an over gives you a break, lets you regain your focus, but having to watch every ball, making sure you don't edge, miss or pop it up, whilst also looking for runs is hard work. A mistake will come sooner rathe than later in those cases.

So - that sounds like the old blokes tactics that I mentioned earlier. Every ball down the centre threatening the stumps - not knowing whether it's going to turn one way or the other or bounce high - but a length and speed that suggests that you could come out after it and hit over the ropes? But as you say you've got the responsibility to hang in there and make runs and you're forced to concentrate and change the pace of the game?

So - that sounds like the old blokes tactics that I mentioned earlier. Every ball down the centre threatening the stumps - not knowing whether it's going to turn one way or the other or bounce high.

That sounds like a decent tactic to me, Dave.

I mean, look at Warne, he was able to get wickets by sheer presence alone, he created the pressure by creating doubt.

Almost_Austwick said:
That sounds like a decent tactic to me, Dave.

I mean, look at Warne, he was able to get wickets by sheer presence alone, he created the pressure by creating doubt.

Cracking point, once you've given the impression, they dont easily fade. I know that we have a cracking medium pace bowler in the Men's 1st, and he isn't anything special, but can swing it both ways, and you can see the batsmen thinking, wondering and then walking when the bowler has got the better of him.

Spinning is a mental game, you could be as good as Warne, or as bad as Ashley Giles, but if you have the brain, wits and confidence just to outdo a batsmen, more times than not you will.

Yeah I love the idea that just locally you could attain a reputation - I think the team I play for has a reputation for being really difficult to play against because in any game we have a minimum of 3 leg spin bowlers to call upon and the captain gives us all a go, some days four of us bowl leg spin! I'd love to be considered as a bit special even just on a really local level or even within my own club. I know one of the other blokes in the club is nicknamed "The Wizard" and he bowls Leg Spin and he's probably just a bit better than me but he's been in the club all season and I joined at the end, but just over one season the clubs given him the nickname and on the pitch they really wind up the opposition and play on the nickname and the fact that he bowls leg spin - it is such a good laugh and it's brilliant being part of it.

I just noticed some interesting stuff in the thread titled "Run Up" the bloke Simbaz said.....

"Firstly, if you can bowl a good delivery blindfolded (Or atleast have your run up perfect) then it can easily be done when able to see. It kind of gives you a second sense, and you become much more familiar with your stride, run or toodle on your way to the crease"!

Which implies he's done the bowling blind folded thing? Has anyone else done this - as this is something I've tried with a degree of success last summer?

Almost_Austwick said:
I think dave is after some training drills\tips. What do you do to work on your game, just in the nets or something in particular.

What lines\lengths do you bowl in matches, what do you do when you're getting hit around or when you have the batman treating you with respect etc.

I just bowl in the nets.

I try flight it up again.

Yesterday I really struggled. I bowled 1 over which went for 11 runs before being taken off. About half of the deliveries were full tosses which were spanked.

Sid you said -

I think an important thing with leg spin is to make sure that you finish your action properly.Once the action is correct pitching the ball in the proper areas should be a lot easier and then one can try variations with length,pace and amount of spin.Thats what my amateur skills tell.

Are you talking about the follow through when you say finish your action or do you mean the whole thing from the run up to the follow through?

By finishing the action I refer mainly to a couple of things.Firstly is to not stop after bowling,and atleast take another stride in the pitch.Secondly sometimes it happens that you release the ball earlier than you're supposed to during leg spin,which may affect the length of the ball in particular,so I think one should concentrate on the release of the ball being done at the proper time.

As for leg spin strategy,while bowling the first over or so my aim is to make sure Im doing the basics right,pitching in the right areas especially length wise and try to see how much turn there is in the wicket.From there on I try mixing the pace of the ball every now and then and also mixing the amount of spin.Occassionly,about after every 10-15 balls or so I try a offcutter or a quicker on that skids straight through.Also whats important is to try and read what the batsman is possibly going to do to your next ball,that comes once you know your batter better and have bowled to him plenty of times earlier.

Sid, I think experience is a big factor as well and with the experience comes confidence I guess? Have you been coached at all? How helpful do you find coaching? (If you have).

Being new to cricket I lack experience and I'm having to bide my time waiting for the next season to put my new strategies in place and gain more experience. I'm hoping that my new more straight-forward approach is going to pay some kind of dividend more dot balls & a lot less 4's etc? I recall that you said you'd been bowling leg spin 2 years - I'm hoping that the end of this coming season that there'll be a marked improvement in my bowling and hopefully I'll feel like I'm a part of the team and that some of the more experienced players would have passed on some advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back