Leg Spin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Leg Spin

ive been bowling some leg spin these days. bowled 8 overs yesterday. started off with some full tosses but was able to find the right length soon. didnt get any wickets but im happy that i beat the batsman on more than a couple of times.

Over the weekend I've been practicing managed to get about a 3/4 of hour each day practicing Top Spinners trying to hit a small target. Seems to be coming along nicely very few wides and those that are going slightly wide are probably going to tempt the batsman to produce a cut shot as the bloke ealier mentioned that might be caught at point? Although my own experience is that I'm more likely to produce a ball that gets hit out to somewhere ner mid off and cover, I had a few of those in my last game two were dropped but the same bloke caught the third one and it was off of one of the better batsman (Opener)?

I've been mixing the Flipper in with the Top Spinner and it is so different! If I use sparingly it might be very useful to catch the batsman off guard or at least unsettle him. It also seems that now that I've stopped spending hours and hours trying to perfect it, I'm a lot more consistent with it and affective, it'll be good to try out at some point with a batsman, but I'll probably have to wait till the season starts for that to happen?

Also had a couple of goes at the slider, that went okay as well. It's one that I have degrees of success with, I always find that it's a much faster ball and then I kind of get carried away with trying to throw it progressively faster and then it all goes wrong. I either need a lot more practice with it or somehow keep it under control. I'm not confident with it and rarely use it, I'll probably keep it under wraps until the summer. What I must do is keep on bowling the top spinner all winter and then roll that out in the spring and see if I reap any rewards and then after a few games review the situation.

Reading this makes me think, don't do too much too fast.

I bowl Chinamen, but i do bowl Slow left arm sometimes, as its my most natural bowling type, and i've been working on the Doosra, which is the one which turns the other way, and i did try to work on variations for legspin and i got confused, so just take it one at once, master it, move on.

Simbaz you're almost certainly right, I'll stick to the Top Spinner 95% of the time, but I'm always tempted to try a few of the others every now and then except for standard Leg Breaks. I don't think I'll ever be able to do them again! So this winter and into the first few games Top Spinners.

Simbazz - when you bowl does your leading arm dictate the direction of the ball very much. I know that there's the leverage factor, but do you kind of point in the direction that you're trying to pitch the ball?

Don't be tempted to throw the top spinner in too early. On average most inexperienced spinner throws it in more than twice an over, and the first being on the first ball. This is wrong.

2 every 4 overs is enough. 4,5,6 balls, never before them UNLESS you can feel the batsmen working you out.

Simbazz - I can't do em! The nearest thing I've got a leg break is my flipper. I can bowl them to leg and they spin away to off, but all summer I couldn't get them to turn on our local wicket in the same way I can on any other surface!

I then got so hung about it I just ended up bowling badly. My intention has been to adopt the Top Spinner as my stock ball and then use the Wrong Un and the Flipper as my variations, both of which I can bowl pretty well. What do you reckon?

someblokecalleddave said:
Mike did you warm up beforehand or practice before the game or was you straight in there? How many overs was it before you found your length?
didnt practice much. i didnt expect to be called on to be bowled. the first couple of overs were somewhat inconsistent. i started off with full tosses and then in trying to compensate i dragged the ball short. luckily they batsman missed out on a few loose deliveries and i was persisted with. took me a couple of overs but i managed to get it up just around good length.

To your post Dave, its up to you. You need to do it your way, the thing is coaches try to teach it you the textbook way which for a lot of people is fine, if Shane Warnes coach Terry Jenner did it that way do you think Warne would have taken 700 test wickets, possibly not. Warne is a good example because he found variations that past leggies could only dream of. So basically, do it the way you feel is most comfortable and natural for you.

I agree with you that variations are the key to be a successfull bowler.
Getting stuck with one method will be easy for batsmen to read it and play accordingly.
But with variations in spin,line & length and pace; we can put the batsmen at back-foot making him do something silly and loose his wicket :)

Here's an idea if like me you're faced with no cricket opportunities out of season. None of my team practice through the winter it seems, I've tried to cajole people into getting in the nets every now and then (We've potentially got access to them free of charge at a local school as one of our team is a sports teacher at the school) but no-one is interested, they're quite satisfied with sitting in front of the tele with several cans of lager and vegging out all winter. Not me though - I'm up for it and I've just come back from a foray around my town at 11.30 at night searching for practice venues!

Using google earth I searched all the fields and play areas of my town looking for Basket Balls courts and the like. I already new of one or two and realised that there may be a chance that they're floodlit and therefore usable in the evenings after work for a bit of bowling practice using the Hockey Balls mentioned in previous blogs. I had a look at a few and they are really good places to practice - smooth surface, clean and enclosed so that the balls aren't going to go miles and you end up spending half your time retrieving balls. For bowling practice - spot bowling and the likes they look brilliant - there are even court lines drawn every where so you can bowl along a nice line and see where it lands and how much spin you get off of your line! The only downside was that the three good ones I looked at all had there lights turned off. I checked to see if they were activated by movement but they weren't. Maybe they go off at a set time and I need to go back earlier - I'll see? But they're definitely on my agenda now for weekend practices over the winter and I may contact our local council and see if they can do something about setting the timers so they go off later in the evening? But I reckon basket ball courts look like good winter venues if you're looking to practice on your own.

The basketball court sounds like a good idea, especially as they have the white lines to use as targets, have you also looked at any of the local tennis clubs?

They may be privately owned and could be easier to deal with in terms of getting the lights turned off later.

Used to use the local tennis courts when we were kids, for a few quid they would keep the lights in for an extra hour or so. Only downside was it got a bit cold in the middle of winter.

Went over there tonight when the community centre that they're a part of was open and asked about the lights as they were still off. No luck though. Even though there's a series of lights that run along the back of the building that are pointed in the direction of the courts they were not on. I asked about the lights but the staff said that they were security lights. I asked if they were triggered by movement as security lights sometimes are and they didn't know. I checked them out and they weren't. Looks like it's a daylight only situation or I'll have to approach the council and see if I can somehow get the lights on?

The tennis courts is an idea though - I know that nearby there's a massive council sports complex with netball and tennis courts that even in the summer are floodlit. I'll check that out I reckon. Nice one.

Got to mention though - even though it was almost totally dark I still had 20 minutes there trying to hit the stumps. Couldn't see if I was getting it to turn or they were bouncing over the top - but it was still a bit of exercise and I could see the flight through the air and that looked on target for the best part!!!!

The other thing which may be an option is if you have an astroturf pitch anywhere near. They normally always have floodlights and often if they are being used you can just use the edge of the pitch for free.

You have to keep trying, keep "making do," with what you have on offer. Hell, use the bloody lamppost if you have to, just something to aim at really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back