Leg Spin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Leg Spin

I was quite heartened today reading the papers regarding how bad a day Panesar, Swan and Harmison have had, makes you realise these people are mortals and like us have bad days!

no it makes you realise they are not as conisitent as our bowlers :p

im a part time leg spin bowler but i practice a lot in nets. ive been following peters advice and trying to pitch the ball around the stumps. i pitch most of them around the middle-off stump and try to spin it away. i can spin the ball by 2 inches. should i go wider or maintain the line?

someblokecalleddave said:
Sid, I think experience is a big factor as well and with the experience comes confidence I guess? Have you been coached at all? How helpful do you find coaching? (If you have).

Being new to cricket I lack experience and I'm having to bide my time waiting for the next season to put my new strategies in place and gain more experience. I'm hoping that my new more straight-forward approach is going to pay some kind of dividend more dot balls & a lot less 4's etc? I recall that you said you'd been bowling leg spin 2 years - I'm hoping that the end of this coming season that there'll be a marked improvement in my bowling and hopefully I'll feel like I'm a part of the team and that some of the more experienced players would have passed on some advice?

Confidence is definately an important thing.I have never played anywhere past school cricket,but have plenty of experience in playing in the roads with friends.I have been bowling legspin since I was about 6,so I guess it was natural for me.As for coaching experience Ive never had much coaching,its all what I've heard and read. :)

Dave - have gotten hold of some of those hockey balls you were on about, not a bad find!

Can't say I'm going to use them for practising my spin bowling but they make a good substitute for cricket balls on the wet grass and I can't least get a few overs in under my belt (they are also more dog proof, so I win allround)

Nice one! Glad to have made a suggestion that someone else has followed up and felt the same about. As I said same weight and size and as long as you're practicing without anyone batting good for concrete and obviously grass and yeah Dog proof as well! :D

Indeed, it was a good find, as you said the weight is the important thing. You can work on various things without worrying about going through a ball a week.

I'm sitting here thinking what to write? The only thing I can think of asking about is how can I get my basic Leg Spin back?
The only thing is - I've had loads of people say that you should work on your "Stock Ball" and get that right before looking at learning the variations. I was warned that if I moved on to the variations too soon I might lose the "Stock Ball" skills and that seems to have been what has happened to me. It kind of went like this.....

Started out right from the outset bowling Leg Breaks and it worked. As I started to look into trying to get the leg break better I then came across all the Shane Warne videos, Terry Jenner etc on-line. Liking a challenge I chose to start bowling The Flipper and the Wrong Un. Both of them I picked up really quickly and really easily, but then put all energy into perfecting The Flipper as I can get it to turn acutely sometimes and the variations of the same ball are easy and diverse. But then I had a bad spell with it and went back to trying to bowl the Leg Break and found I could no longer do it? So now I'm limited to Wrong Uns, Flippers and Top Spinners and every now and then try Sliders with varying degrees of success.
The three main deliveries I use are all bowled using a fairly vertical arm whereas the Leg Break I've noticed Warne's arm is angled. Do the rest of you do the same thing? What happens if you deliver your Leg break with a vertical arm - has anyone tried that?

More questions - what do you all do to warm up (Bowling arm) prior to bowling. I'm thinking more in terms of actual stretching rather than actual bowling? I do this thing (I'll probably have to use a picture but haven't figured out how to include photo's in these replies) where I hook my arm over the back of my head (Right arm) and turn my left arm inside so that it reaches up and rests on my spine with the back of my hand in between my shoulder blades. Then stretch the fingers of both hands so they can grip together between the shoulder blades. I hold this position and then stand with my feet apart and slowly twist my torso from side to side. I do this swapping the arms around for a few minutes whilst I'm standing in the outfield waiting for play to reusme while the balls being fielded over the other side.
I think it's a Yoga thing and you're supposed to shake your arms vigourously after you've done it. It'd be interesting to here what Liz of David from Harrowdrive think of it as a technique? It might turn out to be a bad thing - who knows?

Anyone got any other ideas?

I tend to just bowl, i think the best warm up for bowling, is pure bowling, i mean, its giving the muscles you need to bowl a chance to get working.

As for the rest of me, i take a jog, and just follow my stretches etc. that i do in both Cricket and Rugby, it gets all the muscles working and i'm ready to go.

someblokecalleddave said:
I do this thing (I'll probably have to use a picture but haven't figured out how to include photo's in these replies)

Make the image into a JPEG by saving it as one in paint. Then use www.imageshack.us to host the image and out of the links posted, use the first one in the second set of three.

I'm a spinner, i'm an age old fan of getting my technique right then adding spin, so i just bowl striaght ones, getting my shoulder feeling good (I've had many problems, injuries and bad things happen to my shoulder so i need to really ease it in) And then i bring in the spin, get it turning square ;)

But yeah, i think warming up is a waste if you dont go through the routine, theres no point warming up muscles you wont need, or rarely call on, because it just wastes time, and you could be spending that time in the nets getting the bowling right, or batting.

I take it we all know these links -

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlWYcuaTosc"]YouTube - Cloverdale Cricket Masterclass Spin Bowling tips 1[/ame]

http://video.msn.com/?mkt=en-au&brand=ninemsn&tab=m167

http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/sol/newsid_4710000/newsid_4717000/4717021.stm?bw=bb&mp=rm&news=1&ms3=4

http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/sol/newsid_4710000/newsid_4717000/4717021.stm?bw=bb&mp=rm&news=1&ms3=4

The last 2 from the BBC here in the UK may not be playable elsewhere in the world for some reason, but they may be on Youtube.

If you've not seen these video clips they're a must.

I've just been looking at the Terry Jenner video again on the BBC link and I've not seen it in a while and it's interesting what he says on there about flight and the knd of area you should be aiming to land the ball in. Basically he's saying the delivery should be flighty above the batsmans eye level but land short enough to entice him out of the crease. He then says it's not that important to be able to land the ball on a very small target area and even goes as far as to say the zone in which it lands should be quite big. I think the key here is the uncertainty of the flight and the ability to draw the batsman out. If he's looking to make runs and you're spraying it around a bit this might work to your advantage. But surely if the batsman is playing more defensively it's not going to be as advantageous? I think to the context in which Jenner is speaking is if you are playing on a wicket that is allowing you get the spin to cause problems?

I've just watched the Terry Jenner video again. The point he makes is that Spin is sacrificed for accuracy. He's saying that if your focus is to pitch the ball into a small area every time it's going to be to the detriment of the spin you put on the ball. The rationale behind the video does seem to be to assume that the batsman is going to be attacking and looking to come at you. Again I have to emphasise that my experience in these situations is limited but my experience is that by the time us (The spinners) are brought into play in our 50 overs matches generally we're into the middle order and the batsmen are cautious rather than aggressive in their approach to the game.

Surely as a batsman if the bowler is spinning up and attempting to draw you out of the crease, is it not better to sit tight see where it lands and spins and then despatch or defend it in this kind of situation?

Here's the Terry Jenner video link but via youtube

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NucZbWFy0c"]YouTube - Cricket: How to bowl leg-spin like Shane Warne[/ame]

Now have a look at this one and see what he says about a minute into it.....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlWYcuaTosc&feature=related"]YouTube - Cloverdale Cricket Masterclass Spin Bowling tips 1[/ame]

He completely contradicts himself and talks about having a smaller area to bowl into!!!!

I will allow that youtube video on one account, it can be found on the BBC website, and some people have trouble loading it up, i am one of them.

Just to remind everyone though whilst we're at it, Youtube videos are VERY rarely accepted, best thing to do is PM an admin, like myself, and ask if it is ok to put into the forums.

If you want to learn how to spin, or improve how to spin theres no one better than Warne's old mentor, Terry Jenner.

hey everyone,

i just strarted bowling leg spin amd i have done an awsome job.

i took 3 wickets on my first try!!!!!!!!

my advice is to go for catches.

bowl it on the stumps spin it onto the off side and force him to play the cut shot.

if it works he will hit it straight to point and if u got a good fielder then he will be out

Welcome to the forums!

Post in the introductions thread in the general forums ;)

Hope you enjoy your time here. Having just started out, take a look through this thread, and the forum and you'll find literally bucket loads of information.

Dont be afraid to ask questions ;) I'll be happy to read and try to answer, if i can't we have too many experts to count on two hands! So we'll get your questions answered either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back