Leg Spin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Leg Spin

I'm side on with, but someone picked up on it last night and mentioned it as a negative point, I'm not convinced - it was the change to side on that was instrumental in my bowling suddenly and dramatically improving.

Simbazz - re the Wizard comment in the forum. The only thing he does that I'd like to incorporate into my spinning is his speed. But for all I know I may be as fast as he is? On the subject I've made a massive ephiphanal discovery today and I think at last I've cracked it. I can now bowl Leg Breaks and it looks like they're big Leg Breaks! See the blogs or my own Blog at www.mpafirsteleven.blogspot.com.

Sounds fantastic Dave, if you feel confident with it, it'll bring a new depth to your spin :D

Speed wise, although its good to have a good pace, which you can vary. As long as you can vary, you'll succeed.

Thanks for the feedback. I think side on is better overall but you need to keep up with regular practice.
Really interesting tip re spinning the ball back into yourself when bowling a leggie. I just tried it my front room ::) - Not sure the wife understands but ahwell . The ball definately dipped alot more then my usual "turning a door knob" style leggie. I think my conventional delivery puts more side spin on the ball hence the lack of dip and I often find that batsmen that use their feet can drive me quite easily.

Re getting pace on the ball, try starting your right arm above your head so when you deliver the ball, your arm has rotated almost 360 degrees. This adds alot more momentum on the delivery without making the ball flat. That is if you dont already do that.

Strangely enough the same thing happened to me last season.  To cut a long story short, it happened because I had stopped flicking my wrist from right to left (like turning a door knob) when releasing the ball.  Instead the ball was being rolled out as most of the revs were being imparted by my body action.  The result was that most of my deliveries went pretty much straight on.  Good as a variation but not so as a stock ball ::) 

Maybe that is what has happened with your legbreaks.

A good way to get back to ripping the ball that worked for me is to try and spin it from a standing position. As you have not got a run up it really forces you to use your wrist. 

Hope that helps.

I read that part that says you spin the ball back towards you. It seems he refers to this to explain a backspinning delivery ie the opposite to a legbreak in other words the slider. It should bounce lower than a legbreak that always have an element of topspin or overspin as he calls it.

thanks "dodgy spinner" i think i got my leg break back today, i want to clarify something else, why does the ball spin more when i bowl from my back of my hand?

more wrist rotation-plus ur wrist is compressed and tight= more spin ur talking about ur googly rite?

Hmmm, it's interesting to see two others also having problems with their leg break. I just went down to the local field for the first time in a couple of days (there'll be a blog detailing the reasons tomorrow...) and discovered that my bowling has regressed dramatically. My googly is now getting too much flight and is pretty ineffective, even if it wasn't easy to pick. My legbreaks, once the strong point of my bowling were simply not turning at all, and although the flipper wasn't gone completely (I'm now getting a massive amount of revolutions on it), I can't get it to pitch anywhere near where I want it to.
It's horrible - I was bowling so well for a few weeks, to the point where I was getting the ball to pitch where I wanted it to, with the amount of flight I wanted it, and I could turn it into or away from the batsman. I felt I was genuinely ready to start bowling in a match situation. Now, my confidence is so shot, I was just about ready to give up at one point today. In the last half hour before the light forced me to give up, I figured out what the problem with my Leg Breaks was - as mentioned above, it was the lack of a wrist flick. The accuracy is still dramatically reduced, but at least the turn is starting to come back.

The worst thing is, I don't know why this has happened. I've been practicing a little less than I'd like recently, but not to the extent that would cause this sharp a decline in my bowling. I've not made any conscious changes to my action - I did try making my action a little more side-on about two weeks ago, but I made the decision to change back, as I lost a lot of turn. I just can't explain it.

Yep it is very frustrating.  At least you figured it out early.  I went most of last summer and winter nets wondering what had happened.  I basically turned into a leg cutter and had to fire it in to get any sort of turn.  If I flighted it there was zero dip or drift.

I think the reason why it happened to me was that I never really understood the mechanics of the wrist element of legspin.  I just ed my wrist and ran up and bowled it without thinking but when it went wrong I was completely stumped.  Now i have learnt how it all works I feel alot more confident although the accuracy is not as good as before, probably because my decline in spinning the ball took place gradually and it will take some practice to get used to landing a ripping ball.

Funnily enough, I also tried going side on during this period.  THe occasional leg break would turn a mile and I would feel like Shane Warne but then the next three would be rollers.
When I was front on my stock delivery turned more on average but not as much as the occasional big leggie I bowled when side on.  I think its easier to line up the arm and wrist position to bowl a leg break when you are front on then side on, but if you can get everything right when bowling side-on it gives the ball a bigger rip.

Probably only applicable to high level spinners, but bending the front knee (or bracing it) for certain deliveries can alter the pace and trejectory of the ball.

Ripping-LegBreak said:
Help, i lost my leg break instead im bowling sliders

You gotta read "The art of Wrist spin bowling" by Peter Philpott. But basically go right back to the start and start over again. Have you got the book?

I've just read back through the previous 4 or 5 entries regarding losing the leg breaks. I'm going to sound like a total Peter Philpott bore at this rate, but so much of what he says in his book seems to have helped me dramatically and I've not even finished it yet. Some of the key points are -

1. If it starts going wrong - you've got to start from the beginning again and work through to where you was. This means bowling from a standing position, spinning from hand to hand and more importantly I've just discovered from outstreched arm to your chest. Spin up against a wall and spin apples, oranges, tennis balls everything just so that you get that wrist flick going. Then work on short distances working up to 22 yards.

2. The other point which I found really interesting was that you need to really concentrate on what you're doing, if you don't focus all your concentration on how your wrist and fingers flick the ball it's never going to work that well.

I found that it's easy just to go through the motions and assume that you're getting it right, but he (Philpott) maintains it's not the case, if you're going to bowl consistent leg breaks making distinctions between big and little turns it takes total focus and concentration.

It works for me - you all might feel differently?

At 8493 views this is a pretty well read forum isn't it? 150 to go and we'll be on 10,000!!

Had the best night of spin tonight ever!

I was a day/night type game, as they have floodlights, so we bat first with me missing out due to my ankle needing to be taped up, but we didn't need me, made 219/9 off 40ovs.

It was a huge effort, only helped by our "superstar," one game a season batsmen who smashed 70odd off 40odd balls, i wasn't really watching our display, was slightly too bothered of getting the ankle strapped properly so i could bowl.

Anyways, got told to warm up ahead of the 20th over, so did so with the score kinda 50/50 on 86/1. The ball didn't spin much, but the thing was, the wind was up a bit and i was getting a bit of makeshift drift.

2nd over i got a wicket with simple quick, low bouncing ball which swung out slightly, and he just nicked it, i say nicked but he pretty much middled it to second slip, in a way i've never seen before!

Second wicket came thanks to some brilliance from Tom the wicketkeeper, who knocked the ball up whilst fumbling only for me to grasp hold of it, as i'd run down the pitch, so it was a c&b :D

Third was just one which was full, didn't bounce and totally took their keeper out of the batting, he'd looked good too, putting up a couple of 6's!

My 4th and final wicket came due to a tailender who'd got lucky for my first 3 balls and smacked me for 14, i got him out trying to leg glance me, basically spooned up for another wicketkeeper catch.

Overall they were out for 175/10ao, it was a decent match, and probably one of the best batting tracks in our league.

Don't think i'm going to be making the next match, got an operation on it next week so should be out for up to 4 weeks. This operation should be the end of all ankle worries. Basically had them since i was 7! Not too bothered, i can still train reasonably well, so it isn't a total loss, and by the time i'm back, its the 20/20 competition :D

That's the kind of bowling results I want to be producing! Bad news on the ankle there, but as you say if you've been suffering from some problem since you were 7 it'll be good to get it sorted.

What makes a wicket particularly good for batting then?

No, When i said the ball spins more from my back of my hand i was meaning it spins more than my stock leg break, why is that? Shouldent it be a top spinner?

Ripping-LegBreak said:
No, When i said the ball spins more from my back of my hand i was meaning it spins more than my stock leg break, why is that? Shouldent it be a top spinner?

I've had that happen to me before aswell. I've tried to bowl the toppy or the wrong un, and out comes a ripping leggy. I've got no idea why.

someblokecalleddave, I have just ordered the Philpott book off Play.com so cheers for the recommendation!

The tip re spinning the ball towards yourself when bowling is worth it alone. I am seriously impressed at how much the ball turns when this action is used. I look forward to trying it out on Saturday. Providing it doesnt rain :cursing:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back