Leg Spin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Leg Spin

It's winter, and I already hate it. I want it to be summer again so I can play. Last season wasn't the greatest, and I want to put it behind me.

PS. 700 posts in this thread. :)

someblokecalleddave said:
That's the kind of bowling results I want to be producing! Bad news on the ankle there, but as you say if you've been suffering from some problem since you were 7 it'll be good to get it sorted.

What makes a wicket particularly good for batting then?

Something which is firm, you know when its good when you get the ball bouncing whilst dropping it from waist height!

I like good batting tracks, tests your bowling skills.

Simbazz said:
Something which is firm, you know when its good when you get the ball bouncing whilst dropping it from waist height!

I like good batting tracks, tests your bowling skills.

Good description - I'll try that in future, the one I played on last Sunday was like that - it was immaculate, it was as though someone had poured concrete onto the grass but had mixed a bit of grass into the concrete so that it looked a bit grassy! I've never bowled well on wickets like that yet, but that may be it's just that I've still yet to bowl "well"?

Re the Philpott book - yep I agree with the comment re the spinning the ball back towards yourself - for me that appears to be a major revelation after spending almost 2 years not being able to bowl Leg breaks it looks like it's going to come together in the next couple of months.

Yeah - Waterstones should be able to get it for you just quote the ISBN No. it's in a post I put on here a few days ago.

Sean - just keep bowling right through your winter mate - surely in OZ your weather holds out pretty nice? If it rains all winter - which I'm pretty certain it don't in Western OZ surely? Buy Hockey balls and practice on tarmac - I learned so much practicing over the winter here in the rain and freezing cold weather. You could be in Canada like that poor bloke who was forced to bowl inside his house!!!

Sean said:
I've had that happen to me before aswell. I've tried to bowl the toppy or the wrong un, and out comes a ripping leggy. I've got no idea why.

Sounds like your beginning to suffer from the classic Leg Spinners syndrome "Leg Break loss", it happened to me and it sounds like it happens to almost everyone who bowls Leg Spin. If you're not careful you put too much time and emphasis into your variations and you begin to lose the ability to bowl your stock leg break. It's that thing where if you do something so much it becomes almost automatic. Peter Philpott in his book (and this is generally agreed by everyone) says that bowling Wrist Spin is the most difficult of all the bowling disciplines and to bowl the stock Leg Break well requires utmost concentration and continuous practice. My own experience has been that the variations have been easily learned, but the stock ball has been amazingly difficult. It wasn't until I read the book that I was able to make sense of it. It's only now that I know to totally concentrate and continually practice and be prepared to go backwards with the training and restart that it's come together.

If you're losing your Leg Break - go back to basics and start from the beginning and leave all the variations till you get your Leg Break back.

Basics are best.

I've said thousands of times, take the spin off the ball, get it into the right places, and gradually put the spin back in. This way you're going to be back on top of your game!

yeah has happened to me too, recently when i altered my googly, started spinning with my fingers instead of my wrist (probable cause of finger injury) but have got the ball turning again in the few overs i've bowled

that was what i meant i lost my leg break but the injury has actually made it come back just having time off from bowling and just bowling what feels natural

Sounds like your beginning to suffer from the classic Leg Spinners syndrome "Leg Break loss", it happened to me and it sounds like it happens to almost everyone who bowls Leg Spin. If you're not careful you put too much time and emphasis into your variations and you begin to lose the ability to bowl your stock leg break. It's that thing where if you do something so much it becomes almost automatic. Peter Philpott in his book (and this is generally agreed by everyone) says that bowling Wrist Spin is the most difficult of all the bowling disciplines and to bowl the stock Leg Break well requires utmost concentration and continuous practice. My own experience has been that the variations have been easily learned, but the stock ball has been amazingly difficult. It wasn't until I read the book that I was able to make sense of it. It's only now that I know to totally concentrate and continually practice and be prepared to go backwards with the training and restart that it's come together.

If you're losing your Leg Break - go back to basics and start from the beginning and leave all the variations till you get your Leg Break back.

That doesn't explain why I'd rip it an absolute mile in the nets, but when it came to game time it literally span this much.

>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------<

Might be good that it's off season and next season I may come back with a slightly different action and rip it on the pitch aswell. I used to be able to rip it a mile even if it was a wet pitch.

Btw, I only play on the concrete with the green matting on it.

Sean I've got to say that I seem to get more spin on long and wet grass, concrete, tarmac, jelly, custard anything but the real thing. As soon as I'm on a real wicket I can't get the ball to turn as much as you've just described! I don't know why, but I'm hoping that with the new technique of trying to flick the ball backwards I'll get some spin going?

What's the score with the rules regarding bowling shoulder/head height balls with spin? On Sunday a young bloke threw a load of full tosses during his overs in our game (Spin) and some of them were up there around head height and some of our blokes were shouting "Whoa - No ball"! But I'm sure I've read somewhere that the rules are different with spin because it's so much slower. Despite the fact that this bloke was bowling them as high as the batsmans head they were all despatched to the boundary easily.

It would appear that the same has happened to me. My confidence was so shot after last time that I really didn't want to practice today. Eventually I forced myself to do some, although it was getting fairly late, so I only had half an hour. The frustration continues. My accuracy is still missing presumed dead and wherever it is, it's taken my Leg Break with it.
I thought I'd made the breakthrough at first, when I realised I was keeping my bowling arm far too straight in the steps before my delivery stride. To counter, I made sure I touched my chin with the ball in the last two steps before the ball was delivered. At first this seemed to do it, and the turn came back. However, it quickly became apparent that it was a false dawn, and the next two balls just bounced straight. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong - I'm flicking the wrist, I'm giving the ball as much of a rip as I always have, and still nothing's happening. I'm actually starting to wonder if it's the pitch.
It's bone dry, and exceptionally bumpy and patchy. It's not rained here for almost two weeks, so I'm starting to wonder if the ball's bouncing so much that it's not actually getting a chance to turn. It's a bit thin, but it's the only thing I can think of.

What's the score with the rules regarding bowling shoulder/head height balls with spin? On Sunday a young bloke threw a load of full tosses during his overs in our game (Spin) and some of them were up there around head height and some of our blokes were shouting "Whoa - No ball"! But I'm sure I've read somewhere that the rules are different with spin because it's so much slower. Despite the fact that this bloke was bowling them as high as the batsmans head they were all despatched to the boundary easily.

As far as I know, anything over shoulder height should be a no-ball. They have been going easy as it was a Sunday and 'only' spin though.

Dangerous Bowling
If a bowler deliberately either:

* bowls a fast ball that reaches the batsman above waist height on the full, or
* bowls a ball at any speed that reaches the batsman above shoulder height on the full, or
* repeatedly bowls fast balls that:
o bounce around head height,
o and in the opinion of the umpires represent a physical danger to the batsman, taking into account the batsman's skill,

the umpire will:

* call a no ball,
* caution the bowler,
* inform the other umpire, the fielding captain, and the batsmen that the bowling has become dangerous.

If the same bowler offends a second time in the same innings, the umpire will repeat the procedure above, informing the bowler that this is a last warning.

If the same bowler offends a third time in the same innings, the umpire will:

* repeat the procedure above,
* suspend the bowler from bowling for the remainder of the innings,
* and report the incident to the fielding side's management and the governing body responsible for the match, for disciplinary action outside the game.

I guess it's how you define 'deliberately'.

From the official rules:

(b) Bowling of high full pitched balls
(i) Any delivery, other than a slow paced one, which passes or would have passed on the full above waist height of the striker standing upright at the crease is to be deemed dangerous and unfair, whether or not it is likely to inflict physical injury on the striker.
(ii) A slow delivery which passes or would have passed on the full above shoulder height of the striker standing upright at the crease is to be deemed dangerous and unfair, whether or not it is likely to inflict physical injury on the striker.

7. Dangerous and unfair bowling – action by the umpire
(a) As soon as the umpire at the bowler's end decides under 6(a) above that the bowling of fast short pitched balls has become dangerous and unfair, or, except as in 8 below, there is an instance of dangerous and unfair bowling as defined in 6(b) above, he shall call and signal No ball and, when the ball is dead, caution the bowler, inform the other umpire, the captain of the fielding side and the batsmen of what has occured. This caution shall continue to apply throughout the innings.

Nightvision said:
It would appear that the same has happened to me. My confidence was so shot after last time that I really didn't want to practice today. Eventually I forced myself to do some, although it was getting fairly late, so I only had half an hour. The frustration continues. My accuracy is still missing presumed dead and wherever it is, it's taken my Leg Break with it.
I thought I'd made the breakthrough at first, when I realised I was keeping my bowling arm far too straight in the steps before my delivery stride. To counter, I made sure I touched my chin with the ball in the last two steps before the ball was delivered. At first this seemed to do it, and the turn came back. However, it quickly became apparent that it was a false dawn, and the next two balls just bounced straight. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong - I'm flicking the wrist, I'm giving the ball as much of a rip as I always have, and still nothing's happening. I'm actually starting to wonder if it's the pitch.
It's bone dry, and exceptionally bumpy and patchy. It's not rained here for almost two weeks, so I'm starting to wonder if the ball's bouncing so much that it's not actually getting a chance to turn. It's a bit thin, but it's the only thing I can think of.

I've just had a crap practice as well - just totally inconsistent, sometimes it turns, sometimes it's dead straight, but nearly all the time dodgy lengths and line. I'm fairly certain that it's just that I've not practiced this week and I wasn't able to practice and concentrate (had my kids with me). I'm still optimistic because when it did turn - it turned big and I know that with some practice I'll get the line and length.

Do you know about Bio rythymns? It could be that you're at the bottom of a physical or mental dip in your Bio-rythymns or worse still both physical and mental are coinciding in a trough?

I tend to have the opposite issue, I cant turn it in nets but can turn it loads in a match. This may sound obvious but maybe the ball you are using is not conjusive to spin. The size of the seam can make a massive difference and quite often the ball in a match situation is in better condition then a net ball.

I tend to bowl with a strange ball that I got from India in the nets with hardly any seam it doesnt tend to turn much. One day I tried bowling with an older bowl with a large seam and it was turning miles. Then some soppy 1st team player asked me to change the ball after I bowled for the third time :laugh:

dodgylegspinner said:
I tend to have the opposite issue, I cant turn it in nets but can turn it loads in a match. This may sound obvious but maybe the ball you are using is not conjusive to spin. The size of the seam can make a massive difference and quite often the ball in a match situation is in better condition then a net ball.

I tend to bowl with a strange ball that I got from India in the nets with hardly any seam it doesnt tend to turn much. One day I tried bowling with an older bowl with a large seam and it was turning miles. Then some soppy 1st team player asked me to change the ball after I bowled for the third time :laugh:
No it's not the ball I have a bucket with 36 balls in it when I practice ranging from brand new balls with massive raised square edged seems to old balls that are caked with mud that have virtually no seams because of the mud. I also practice with plastic hockey balls on tarmac and make them turn miles - so it's just me bowling crap I reckon?

Ah well, its what happens on the day that matters. Shane Warne was apparantly a match player and generally arsed about in nets. In your net practice do the batsmen try and play properly or do they try and send everything into orbit? The people I bowl at unfortunately do the latter.

Generally they're quite serious especially the 1st team blokes because they realise they can come unstuck with spinners so they do try and work through the spinners in the appropriate manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back