2010 / 11 general chat.

What's most important is that the wicket is good. Spotswood had a Grand Final a couple of years ago where the wicket was no good and they lost the right to host the Senior Division Grand Final. Generally the Senior Division Grand Final wicket is a good one and the match is a beauty.

But why do South Caulfield continue to get a Grand Final (usually two GF's!) in the south when they prepare a terrible wicket every year? There are 10 better grounds that could host!

The Grand Final should be the highlight of the season, not a game that drives the crowd to complete boredom! Grand Final's should see scores of close to 300, not 150, it's a disgrace. Why have a 4 day Grand Final when it's pretty much of over in 2?

Nothing personal against South Caulfield, I hope to be cheering them on in the this year's Senior Division Grand Final (wherever it may be!).

Surely with the top 2 teams in Senior Div being in the South, the league will play the GF in the South. The past years has been dominated by North sides 1-2 & have been played over there.

Bentleigh's ground is in great nick & should be this year's choice.

cash man my friend spottswood had the grand final last year , you must be a close follower of the v.t.c.a or you just play at a club that never plays finals . check your facts before you get on here and make a crank of yourself. saying that has any one had any thought into what i was saying the other day about security at the grounds over night . lastly mercanary i support a local side not to far from your old club . im icetastic

cash man my friend spottswood had the grand final last year , you must be a close follower of the v.t.c.a or you just play at a club that never plays finals . check your facts before you get on here and make a crank of yourself. saying that has any one had any thought into what i was saying the other day about security at the grounds over night . lastly mercanary i support a local side not to far from your old club . im icetastic

I think cash man was saying Sth Caulfied had a grand final for south sides, not for senior divison, might pay
to read a bit closer next time

WWW - have another read of my post and get your facts right. Spotswood prepared a bad wicket in 07/08 for the Senior Division Grand Final and the following year it was held at Port Melboune (hence they lost the Senior Div GF for preparing a bad wicket). They were held accountable.

My point is that South Caulfield prepare rubbish conditions for south Grand Final's every year and continue to get two GF's when there are a number of better grounds to play at that would cater for a better brand of cricket. It's a joke!

Not sure how the allocation of Grand Final venues works but i'm tipping you have to put your club forward for it to be considered. As a paying member of the comp i would like to know by the League which teams are in the running.

Not sure how the allocation of Grand Final venues works but i'm tipping you have to put your club forward for it to be considered. As a paying member of the comp i would like to know by the League which teams are in the running.

they should play the grand final at arden st my old pal smithers turner curates that ground and keeps it in good nick

WWW - have another read of my post and get your facts right. Spotswood prepared a bad wicket in 07/08 for the Senior Division Grand Final and the following year it was held at Port Melboune (hence they lost the Senior Div GF for preparing a bad wicket). They were held accountable.

My point is that South Caulfield prepare rubbish conditions for south Grand Final's every year and continue to get two GF's when there are a number of better grounds to play at that would cater for a better brand of cricket. It's a joke!

The South Caulfield wicket is prepared by the council, the same as Bentleigh and a few others in the area. All 1st X1 GF's have to be played on a neutral venue which is why Bentleigh and Beaumaris was played at South. The only other ground made available by GECC was Bentleigh, but there would have been no one there to run it.
Some clubs with good facilities just don't like to hold them or once they are finished the councils just take them over. South for many many years has made their facilies available, but not this year as the ground has just had a million dollar upgrade including a brand new pitch.

The South Caulfield wicket is prepared by the council, the same as Bentleigh and a few others in the area. All 1st X1 GF's have to be played on a neutral venue which is why Bentleigh and Beaumaris was played at South.

You make some valid points Southern, but why do 1st XI grand final's HAVE to be played at neutral venues? Both Bentleigh and more importantly Beaumaris agreed to play that GF at Bentleigh last season. Surely if both teams agree, the GF should be played at the best available venue, neutral or not.

I agree Northern. If the best wicket / ground / facilities happen to be at a teams ground who is playing in the final, surely they should play there. It makes no sense at all to play a Senior Division final at a ground that is not the best in that division.

I understand the VT's concern over wicket prep and dodgy wickets etc, but if the wicket is prepared by Council, then surely that argument is out the window.

Given the rain we have had the BEST ground SHOULD be used. Whether a "home" team happens to be in the final is irrelevant - especially if BOTH teams playing in the final agree to play there.

However I feel our argument will fall on deaf ears! Why would they listen, it's only the clubs competition!

I agree Northern. If the best wicket / ground / facilities happen to be at a teams ground who is playing in the final, surely they should play there. It makes no sense at all to play a Senior Division final at a ground that is not the best in that division.

I understand the VT's concern over wicket prep and dodgy wickets etc, but if the wicket is prepared by Council, then surely that argument is out the window.

Given the rain we have had the BEST ground SHOULD be used. Whether a "home" team happens to be in the final is irrelevant - especially if BOTH teams playing in the final agree to play there.

However I feel our argument will fall on deaf ears! Why would they listen, it's only the clubs competition!

Maybe there is a case for the top team getting a home final as in the Sheffield Shield. You should run for the Exec LM.

Maybe there is a case for the top team getting a home final as in the Sheffield Shield. You should run for the Exec LM.

is there an age requirement for the VTCA exec sledge?

from my experiences with the VTCA, whats that old saying? you cant teach an old dog new tricks!!!!!, for the 2 years i was playing at hampton, players wanted change ie colour kits, white balls, icc uniformed laws in one-dayers etc etc, but the exec are set in the 1890's style cricket and to me it seemed they didnt like change!

in defence of sth caulfield getting slagged off for hosting finals, Guys that's cricket.......if half the people on here are as good as they think they are, the should score runs/take wickets anywhere in any conditions whether it be sth caulfield, dendy park or teac oval or the MCG.

if players arent happy playing finals at these grounds, there are plenty of synthetic comps out there that im sure are looking for players where the cricket is the same old boring as batsh*t flat track bully style of cricket.

is there an age requirement for the VTCA exec sledge?

from my experiences with the VTCA, whats that old saying? you cant teach an old dog new tricks!!!!!, for the 2 years i was playing at hampton, players wanted change ie colour kits, white balls, icc uniformed laws in one-dayers etc etc, but the exec are set in the 1890's style cricket and to me it seemed they didnt like change!

in defence of sth caulfield getting slagged off for hosting finals, Guys that's cricket.......if half the people on here are as good as they think they are, the should score runs/take wickets anywhere in any conditions whether it be sth caulfield, dendy park or teac oval or the MCG.

if players arent happy playing finals at these grounds, there are plenty of synthetic comps out there that im sure are looking for players where the cricket is the same old boring as batsh*t flat track bully style of cricket.

Nice to hear from you Kev, clubs are wearing coloured kits today and should be allowed to more often.

Coloured kits, coloured balls, Twenty 20 comp. The exec has made some good changes. Hopefuly we will see Northern Superstars and Life Member volunterring their views to the exec rather than on this forum at the next AGM. You guys seem switched on and have some great suggestions - dont waste them here, Give them to your delegate to bring up or simply hop on to the executive and make the change happen.

Does anybody know if there is a rule preventing two captains agreeing to declare their innings after 20,40, and 60 overs in the last one dayer of the year, thus creating the chance for outright points and extra bonus points?

hey rat, I think the point is that the captains would agree beforehand to 'collapse' in the last innings if they can't get the runs, which is possible in both 1 and 2 day games, and very hard to prove unless the umps saw players standing on their stumps.

hey rat, I think the point is that the captains would agree beforehand to 'collapse' in the last innings if they can't get the runs, which is possible in both 1 and 2 day games, and very hard to prove unless the umps saw players standing on their stumps.

Could be quite funny to watch!!!! Is that when 6 players decide they have a wedding to go to, which they only just remembered was this week

Back