2012/13 Barclay Shield

Good win by the Research ECCC boys today! Not done with yet but in a far better position than previously. Also heard and maybe someone from Epping can confirm that Shane Topham retired at the end of the game.

Mernda winning outright today throws a spanner in the works.

Don't think it has changed much other than to finish off Riverside's year.

What a great finish to the season- relegation and finals still could go either way.

As it stands (barring any outrights):

• Macleod and Lower Eltham under huge pressure to win
  • Macleod playing North Eltham at North Eltham will be a massive test for them if North show up to play
  • Lower Eltham away to relegation threatened Epping wont be easy
  • Mernda need to beat Diamond Creek away, and well enough to pass Plenty on %, if Plenty win
  • Mernda need to hope Macleod or Lower Eltham lose and Plenty dont win better than they beat Diamond Creek
  • Plenty need to beat Bundoora at home and hope Lower Eltham or Macleod lose. Picking up % on LE is unlikely
At the bottom end, Camrea, Research and Epping........... they'll fight for their lives.
  • Camrea playing Riverside, just outrighted by Mernda... who knows
  • Epping host Lower Eltham. Relegation and finals all on the line in this one. What a game.
  • Research will be most comfortable against OPSF and should have made the great escape.

Hold your hats- this one will get interesting. :confused:

As Vilos replied, we got there and they seemed in control. 16 off 21 I think it was.
And really, they needed the 10 points or their season was over, better to give yourself
too much time than not enough I guess?
Was a genuinely entertaining finish to a game of cricket though!

An
Did you happen to wonder why riverside declared so early ?

Don't think it has changed much other than to finish off Riverside's year.

What a great finish to the season- relegation and finals still could go either way.

As it stands (barring any outrights):

• Macleod and Lower Eltham under huge pressure to win
  • Macleod playing North Eltham at North Eltham will be a massive test for them if North show up to play
  • Lower Eltham away to relegation threatened Epping wont be easy
  • Mernda need to beat Diamond Creek away, and well enough to pass Plenty on %, if Plenty win
  • Mernda need to hope Macleod or Lower Eltham lose and Plenty dont win better than they beat Diamond Creek
  • Plenty need to beat Bundoora at home and hope Lower Eltham or Macleod lose. Picking up % on LE is unlikely
At the bottom end, Camrea, Research and Epping........... they'll fight for their lives.

• Camrea playing Riverside, just outrighted by Mernda... who knows
  • Epping host Lower Eltham. Relegation and finals all on the line in this one. What a game.
  • Research will be most comfortable against OPSF and should have made the great escape.

Hold your hats- this one will get interesting. :confused:

What chance the Hurst boys making a comeback for the last Epping game...?

An

Did you happen to wonder why riverside declared so early ?

I think it was the right call, the clappers needed 10 points and mernda needed to try and get some after losing first innings so they were always going to have a dash and make it a 10 point game. Well done to both skippers for willing to risk some points to further their cause.

Any news on Jamie DAVIS, apparently was pretty crook from what i hear?

I think it was the right call, the clappers needed 10 points and mernda needed to try and get some after losing first innings so they were always going to have a dash and make it a 10 point game. Well done to both skippers for willing to risk some points to further their cause.

I agree. I like seeing captains taking a pretty big risk for pretty big reward. Not many captains would have the balls to do something like that. As much as I hate saying it, credit to Riverside for giving it a red hot crack!

Not when we turned up and they needed 20 off 5 overs 3 or 4 wickets in hand.

Also wanted to know Tongs thoughts on Eltham missing the finals again?

Tough year for the boys at Panther Place, and no doubt they are all disappointed, like all sides that mis finals. If you look back through my posts earlier, I did say that it was going to be a very tough year for all MS sides with the new format, more sides etc. But we will come back fighting again next year.

Interested in your thoughts on the drugs in sport topic at the moment..... that reminds me.... you have to hand back your shield to the DVCA soon. Are you going to clean it first?

JD spent two nights in hospital - Severe dehydration, exhaustion and cramping among other things.

He's been released this morning, all well and good.

Great effort by Gibbsy who stuck around til 9pm on Sunday night waiting with JD and a few others for the ambulance to arrive.

I would've been more shocked if Riverside didn't declare straight up to be honest. Most likely needing 2 outrights to make the 4 they had no choice.
I agree. I like seeing captains taking a pretty big risk for pretty big reward. Not many captains would have the balls to do something like that. As much as I hate saying it, credit to Riverside for giving it a red hot crack!

I would've been more shocked if Riverside didn't declare straight up to be honest. Most likely needing 2 outrights to make the 4 they had no choice.

Outright on w/e would have them on 31 points. Max of 41 if they got an outright in the last round, still needs the 3 teams on 36 to lose. A win in the last round would have been enough to take them to 37 and still pass those teams.

Clappers fkd it up.

You're right, only one outright needed and reliant on those 3 losing. Still this was a genuine outright opportunity, only thing I believe they got wrong was not winning outright when they probably should have...

Outright on w/e would have them on 31 points. Max of 41 if they got an outright in the last round, still needs the 3 teams on 36 to lose. A win in the last round would have been enough to take them to 37 and still pass those teams.

Clappers fkd it up.

You're right, only one outright needed and reliant on those 3 losing. Still this was a genuine outright opportunity, only thing I believe they got wrong was not winning outright when they probably should have...
I would have thought they should've batted for another 20 overs. They had plenty in the shed over night and should have pushed for a lead of around 150 prior to declaring. That way they would have closed the door on any Mernda outright, and possibly pushed for outright themselves in any event. Its just an opinion .

I would have thought they should've batted for another 20 overs. They had plenty in the shed over night and should have pushed for a lead of around 150 prior to declaring. That way they would have closed the door on any Mernda outright, and possibly pushed for outright themselves in any event. Its just an opinion .

They did the right thing- as Opener says, they just didnt execute it. Riverside needed to keep Mernda interested, because Mernda's hopes would have hung on an outright themselves. That would always have kept Riverside's outright hopes alive. Would have been far easier for Mernda to close the game down and bat for time if Riverside batted them out of it on 1st inns.

Yep it was a question of dangling the carrot here. If Mernda couldn't win outright, they just would've put the wall up. The way it went, they had an amazing chance to win outright and blew it at the end.
It is all personal preference, but I would've declared as soon as my team passed the score.

They did the right thing- as Opener says, they just didnt execute it. Riverside needed to keep Mernda interested, because Mernda's hopes would have hung on an outright themselves. That would always have kept Riverside's outright hopes alive. Would have been far easier for Mernda to close the game down and bat for time if Riverside batted them out of it on 1st inns.

Back