2012/13 Barclay Shield

Are you joking? It doesn't happen in Premier cricket or first class cricket. The people who look stupid are the blokes who massage their egos by batting on. Lower Eltham should be ashamed.

Not for the first time either. They did it to us 2 seasons back. Macleod batted first and got rolled for around 130 odd, Lower Eltham batted second and declared 90 runs in front with 10 overs to go.

Are you joking? It doesn't happen in Premier cricket or first class cricket. The people who look stupid are the blokes who massage their egos by batting on. Lower Eltham should be ashamed.
Your taking the piss aren't you, earn the wickets, bat your own 80 out, if not don't piss and moan.
Maybe make sides think twice about being d*******s.
You drink cans after the game,big boy cricket is played by big boys, premiers from last season just excerting a little authority.

No I'm not joking, are you that soft that you can't take your medicine and stay out int he field when it is you and your team mates that have stuffed up by not batting their 80. I think Lower Eltham did the right thing, they batted their 80, not an over more, even though they could've made 400 - you clearly don't understand how important it is to get time in the middle for batsmen early in the season. Especially my club seeing as though we struggle to get 150 most weeks! Clubs take it too personally, its generally not a slap in the face, but an attempt to improve their cricket, the competition as a whole is soft if thats the consensus. If you want to finish at 4:00pm every Saturday then go and play in the One Day comp.

Not for the first time either. They did it to us 2 seasons back. Macleod batted first and got rolled for around 130 odd, Lower Eltham batted second and declared 90 runs in front with 10 overs to go.

Exactly my point, maybe put away the cowboy shots and bat your 80 overs, then teams can't do it to you!

Couldn't agree more. Happy to bat on if a guy is close to a ton, or maybe 50 if they are not normally known to make runs, but batting all day like they did, in my eyes is very poor form and self indulgent to say the least.

In saying that, I'm led to believe there were words exchanged between captains that caused that batting on.

Surely you jest.... you are only saying that 'if a bloke is close to 100' line, because you did it last year, so "YOU" could get to 100, when you could have walked off when you past the total and been seen as a match winner (and a good bloke).

It is a case by case arguement, early in the season, and especially in Barclay, I have no issue with a team batting on. It should be seen as a chance for the bowlers to also work on some things.
Some clubs would never do it, some clubs always will.
Would think that if it was done in lower grades, ie, 2nd XI, then sides have the right to be upset.

Surely you jest.... you are only saying that 'if a bloke is close to 100' line, because you did it last year, so "YOU" could get to 100, when you could have walked off when you past the total and been seen as a match winner (and a good bloke).

It is a case by case arguement, early in the season, and especially in Barclay, I have no issue with a team batting on. It should be seen as a chance for the bowlers to also work on some things.
Would think that if it was done in lower grades, ie, 2nd XI, then sides have the right to be upset.

interesting opinions, there is no right or wrong answer, for what its worth and my 40+ years involvement, there's a never been a good bloke in charge who's batted on for the sake of batting on, simple.

milestones after 5 or 10 extra overs, then get off.

The difference is, we batted on for about 10 overs, got someone to 100, and let a father son bat together for their only possible chance. We didn't bat to the end of the day and embarrass you guys any more.

The fact that you brought up it was me obviously hurts you.

But getting back to what you believe is the biggest concern in local cricket, tell us about your afternoon tea on the weekend. Was it enough for you? Good variety? Bread fresh enough?

Interesting thoughts lads.
LECC batted 80 over as we see it imperative to being successful.
We only batted 20 overs more than the opposition, at tea on day 2 when both teams had batted equal overs a bloke who has never made an A Grade ton was on 70.
Callum's dismissal had nothing to do with why/how long we batted on.

The difference is, we batted on for about 10 overs, got someone to 100, and let a father son bat together for their only possible chance. We didn't bat to the end of the day and embarrass you guys any more.

The fact that you brought up it was me obviously hurts you.

But getting back to what you believe is the biggest concern in local cricket, tell us about your afternoon tea on the weekend. Was it enough for you? Good variety? Bread fresh enough?

A B Grade ton, congrats on that. Doesn't burt, just disappoints. And the father son still play at the same club, and have batted together since, (it only lasted for 8 balls that day).

Excellent afternoon tea, boys from Whittlesea commented very approvingly.

Interesting thoughts lads.
LECC batted 80 over as we see it imperative to being successful.
We only batted 20 overs more than the opposition, at tea on day 2 when both teams had batted equal overs a bloke who has never made an A Grade ton was on 70.
Callum's dismissal had nothing to do with why/how long we batted on.

So there's nothing in the story about the two captains exchanging words where "integrity" may or may not have been questioned?

If you passed them so easily, and there were so many overs left, why wouldn't you have a crack at 10 points?

Ah ok, so shoe on the other foot and its fine, your credibility just met a window.
I have no issue with this scorecard.

Burgs was flying then, pretty sure he dispatched one over the pickets too! Back before he ran out of demoxymil. There were words exchanged about that subject yep, had nothing to do with us batting our 80 overs. Was our goal before started day 1 & 2. It'll be our goal next week as well. And the one after that.
I do have an issue. Two in fact. Why on earth was burgs not batting 11, and how the hell did he manage 17no?

Ah ok, so shoe on the other foot and its fine, your credibility just met a window.

Burgs was flying then, pretty sure he dispatched one over the pickets too! Back before he ran out of demoxymil. There were words exchanged about that subject yep, had nothing to do with us batting our 80 overs. Was our goal before started day 1 & 2. It'll be our goal next week as well. And the one after that.

50 overs left in the match and pretty sure we batted an maybe an extra 6 overs after the score was past. Not like we batted for an extra 200 runs now is it ?

It was a lot more than six overs. You didn't tee off after passing our score, you continued to grind out.
For the record, we had no issue being kept out there that day, the reason we were, was because of our own batting deficiencies.

50 overs left in the match and pretty sure we batted an maybe an extra 6 overs after the score was past. Not like we batted for an extra 200 runs now is it ?

It was a lot more than six overs. You didn't tee off after passing our score, you continued to grind out.
For the record, we had no issue being kept out there that day, the reason we were, was because of our own batting deficiencies.

Seems to me that you are trying to justify Lower Elthams decision to bat for a extremely long time after any result.
For the record, the game you pointed out back in 2009, Macleod didn't pass LE score until around drinks on the 2nd day. We also had a debutant who wanted a his first hit in A grade and I think for memory the game was called off once he was dismissed 50 overs left in the day.
I personally think that if you aren't gunning for an outright, then the captains should agree to call the game off.

Seems to me that you are trying to justify Lower Elthams decision to bat for a extremely long time after any result.
For the record, the game you pointed out back in 2009, Macleod didn't pass LE score until around drinks on the 2nd day. We also had a debutant who wanted a his first hit in A grade and I think for memory the game was called off once he was dismissed 50 overs left in the day.
I personally think that if you aren't gunning for an outright, then the captains should agree to call the game off.

I can't believe that people are complaining about this, last game before the finals, a couple of your players are out if form, you get the chance to get them a bat and form for finals, bat or rap it up?

Exactly, the comp is so tight that you take any improvement you can. We went to the game planning to bat 80 overs and did so. If you don't want to play 160 overs of cricket (It wasn't 35 degrees or anything), I'd suggest Barclay Shield may not be your thing.

I can't believe that people are complaining about this, last game before the finals, a couple of your players are out if form, you get the chance to get them a bat and form for finals, bat or rap it up?

The fact there are actually people who think it's OK to bat on after the final result is obtained is an unfortunate reflection of the standard we play. Perhaps some of those people could explain why it doesn't happen at higher levels of the game?

Back