Australia in India

Re: Australia in India

Here is something that you guys should read.

Originally Posted by ICC Rules
2. In calculating the minimum over rate for a Test Match, as determined by the ICC Regulations in force from time to time, the following time allowances shall be made:
(a) 2 minutes for every wicket taken which results in the subsequent batsman immediately commencing his innings. For the avoidance of doubt no allowance shall be given for the final wicket in an innings or for a wicket that falls prior to any interval.
(b) the actual time taken where treatment is given by authorised medical personnel to a Player on the field of play;
(c) the actual time taken for a Player to leave the field of play in the event of a serious injury;
(d) 4 minutes for one drinks break taken in any session;
(e) the actual time taken for third umpire referrals;
(f) the actual time lost due to any other circumstances beyond the control of the Players.​
(a) In Test Matches, for the purpose of calculating the over rate for the match, in the event of the batting team being bowled out in 3½ hours or less in any particular innings, no account shall be taken of the over rate in that innings (the length of the innings is calculated as being actual playing time less any allowances granted under J2).
(c) Having determined, at the end of a Test Match or ODI Match the over rates applicable, in the event of the over rate being below that required by ICC Regulations in force from time to time the Referee shall (subject to Section J4 (b) above) impose the following sanctions at the end of the match:
(i) for each of the first 5 overs short of the minimum overs required 5% of each Player’s match fee in the fielding side, in the case of the Captain the amount shall be 10% of the match fee;
(ii) for the sixth and any subsequent over short of the minimum overs required 10% of each Player’s match fee in the fielding side, in the case of the Captain the amount shall be 20% of the match fee;
(iii) if the over rate is more than 5 overs short of the minimum overs required in a Test Match or more than 2 overs in an ODI Match, the Captain will be charged under Rule of Conduct CC 2.11 above. In the event of the Captain being found guilty of a charge under this Rule, the sanction imposed will take the place of the fine imposed under paragraphs J5 (c) (i) and (ii) above.​
Level 2
The Offences set out at 2.1 to 2.11 below are Level 2 Offences. The Penalty for a Level 2 Offence shall be a fine of the equivalent of between 50% of the Player or Official’s match fee up to their full match fee and/or a 1 Test Match or 2 ODI Match ban
2.11 Failure by a Captain to ensure that his team meets the minimum over rate requirements as contained in Section J below to the extent as set out in paragraph 5 (c) iii thereof.​

That's the rules on the overrates.....

schwab2clarkson;279854 said:
Um we have got NZ when we come back.

You wouldn't care if ponting got a 5 week suspension?

Highly unlikely that Ponting would get a 5 test-match ban. A breach of this type would be no more than two test matches and the chances of copping a two-test ban would be quite remote.

schwab2clarkson said:
I care and so do the Aussies.

Watson couldn't bowl because of the overrate problem.
He could only bowl after we got the ok to bowl him again. It meant that we had to bowl spin for most of the last session.

Actually, Watson could have bowled but Ponting chose not to bowl him due to being so far behind. Ponting wasn't forced to bowl Krejza, White and Clarke but he decided to anyway in order to make up the overs. Watson and co still could have bowled despite being ten overs down.

schwab2clarkson said:
It's not a limited over game so it doesn't really matter when we have to get them out.

It became a limited overs game when Australia were bowled out 86 behind. Every over that India faces is an over that Australia don't get to face so it was crucial that Australia bowl India out as quickly as possible in order to be chasing less runs but also have more overs to achieve the target score.

schwab2clarkson said:
My cousin, who works for Cricket Australia, was on the phone to the coaching staff wondering what was going on and got to have a chat to both Ricky Ponting and Chris Broad. So we know what is going.

Sounds like most of you guys don't know what you are talking about.

I think we are all well aware of the situation.

Anyway, Australia take the bad light and finish at 0/13 from 1.3 overs. They'll have 90.3 overs to score a further 369 more runs at around 4.077 (4.08) runs per over.

The Australians and plenty of other sides have been consistently behind the over rate for years and only 2 captains have ever been suspended, and that was from ODIs

Besides so what if Ponting missed 1 test match against the Kiwis, its not like the Aussies will need him :rolleyes:

If Australia lose it will be because of Pontings selfishness because there was a small chance he might have missed a chance to smash the Kiwis

eddiesmith;279866 said:
The Australians and plenty of other sides have been consistently behind the over rate for years and only 2 captains have ever been suspended, and that was from ODIs

Besides so what if Ponting missed 1 test match against the Kiwis, its not like the Aussies will need him :rolleyes:

If Australia lose it will be because of Pontings selfishness because there was a small chance he might have missed a chance to smash the Kiwis

Ponting should get minimum of 2 Test match ban because all the 4 test matches over rate was slow...

Suzi, it was a stupid decision not to bowl Watson or Lee straight after tea.

Ask your cousin Im sure he'll agree.

5 weeks?

Typically over dramatic, it would've been 1 week. As it turns out it didnt make much difference and it seems Ricky will incur some penalty, probably a fine.

Was a very ordinary decisionwhich seemed to be made for self preservation rather than the good of his team which in turn represents Australia.

Left a bad taste in my mouth.

ArShad;279868 said:
Ponting should get minimum of 2 Test match ban because all the 4 test matches over rate was slow...

Uh, no.

Kumble's over rate wasnt exactly quick either, lucky he retired eh?

Big Man;279877 said:
Uh, no.

Kumble's over rate wasnt exactly quick either, lucky he retired eh?

But Ponting over rate was even worser than of Anil Kumble , and this is not the first time Ponting is behind the over rate , even in the Perth test Ponting over rate was poor , and he was also warned there , now he should be Banned for atleast 2 games ,then only he will realize his mistakes..

ArShad;279884 said:
But Ponting over rate was even worser than of Anil Kumble , and this is not the first time Ponting is behind the over rate , even in the Perth test Ponting over rate was poor , and he was also warned there , now he should be Banned for atleast 2 games ,then only he will realize his mistakes..

If there is any action taken, then I predict a fine and warning at most. It's easy to jump on his back for it but at the end of the day who has it hurt the most? Probably the Australians themselves as it meant they had to use bowlers who were going to get through overs at a good rate and it's eaten into the amount of time they have to chase. Other captains have been guilty of far worse when it comes to over rates.

380 odd is not going to be easy on a final day wicket. I expect India to bowl very negatively to defensive fields, probably a lot of wide stuff, both sides of the wicket.

Also, though I hate to say it on here, Ponting has looked a touched lost at times during this series.

Big Man;279872 said:
Suzi, it was a stupid decision not to bowl Watson or Lee straight after tea.

Ask your cousin Im sure he'll agree.

5 weeks?

Typically over dramatic, it would've been 1 week. As it turns out it didnt make much difference and it seems Ricky will incur some penalty, probably a fine.

Was a very ordinary decisionwhich seemed to be made for self preservation rather than the good of his team which in turn represents Australia.

Left a bad taste in my mouth.
BigMan,

You have to remember that when you have an overrate problem you can't bowl your pacemen because they are too slow and would actually cause more problems.

I have asked my cousin that question and it goes hand in hand with the rules that we posted up earlier.

The fact that the Match Referee was breathing down Ricky Ponting's neck and was about to suspend him on the spot, means that we would have been without our skipper for at least 5 weeks. All because we have consistantly had problems this series with the overrate.

So measures had to be taken. It meant that we were barred from bowling our pacemen until we caught up.

ArShad;279884 said:
ArShad,

India are also going to be spoken to later today because they had also messed up with the overrate.

They had guys coming onto the field all the time during the australian innings and when the guys were batting.

They do it deliberately.

schwab2clarkson;279919 said:
So measures had to be taken. It meant that we were barred from bowling our pacemen until we caught up.

Rubbish.

That's not a rule, that's a choice Ricky Ponting made.

And what i'd like to know is why wasn't Brett Lee told this information yet your cousin, who is presumably in Australia was?

Regardless of what your "cousin" says what you have posted up us categorically wrong in accordance to the ICC rules.

Ponting would not of been suspended on the spot.......the course of action would of occured at the end of the test match.

The match referee might of spoken to him and the coach but it was still a choice that Ponting had to make, it was not forced on him

THe penalty would of been 1 match only non of this 5 over crap.

I dont think we would mind if this "cousin" wasn't mentioned again unless you post up an audio recording of the conversation you have had with him.

D.K;279981 said:
Regardless of what your "cousin" says what you have posted up us categorically wrong in accordance to the ICC rules.

Ponting would not of been suspended on the spot.......the course of action would of occured at the end of the test match.

The match referee might of spoken to him and the coach but it was still a choice that Ponting had to make, it was not forced on him

THe penalty would of been 1 match only non of this 5 over crap.

I dont think we would mind if this "cousin" wasn't mentioned again unless you post up an audio recording of the conversation you have had with him.
Wanna bet on that.

I bet that you will have to pay his phone bill because we spoke DIRECTLY to the Match Referee and Ricky Ponting.....

schwab2clarkson;279985 said:
Wanna bet on that.

I bet that you will have to pay his phone bill because we spoke DIRECTLY to the Match Referee and Ricky Ponting.....

I laughed.

schwab2clarkson;279985 said:
Wanna bet on that.

When?

During the Tea Interval i presume?

So he was speaking to your cousin instead of informing his team mates?

Regardless of hearsay and BS, what we saw was a selfish, defensive display that is unusual for an Australian Test team.

We had the chance to put our foot on the throat of the oposition but missed the mark badly because of the over rate. :rolleyes:

The media is all over this morning and Rickys captaincy will be looked come the end of the Australian summer.

Disappointing form from the Australian captain. Only a big 150+ and a win will appease the public I feel.

Wise counsel Mas Cambios.
I can actually see a 150 from Punter today Bigman, although now I said that he'll probably go quackquack.
I think yesterday's madness in the arvo session was less about overrates, and more about a deal with ABC radio that they wouldn't take a wicket in the 100 minutes where Northern Grandstand took the Aust-PNG League World Cup match.
Seriously though, I still cannot believe that they can get that far behind the overrates bowling 4 pace bowlers let alone 3 or 2 and a half with Krezja bowling a few overs. It's pathetic. If I was Ponting and I saw one of my pace bowlers wasting time with hands on hips midpitch giving the batsman a gobful for having the audacity to belt yet another half tracker or half volley to the boundary, I'd be blasting them to get back to their mark.
I think the best thing Cricket Australia could do for the upcoming summer to stop Punter getting suspended every second match, would be to hire ballkids to chuck the ball back from the boundary if they keep bowling the way they have been. May not be a problem with South Africa coming over. Yawny yawny.

IN ONE of the most baffling displays of captaincy seen in the long and proud history of Australian cricket, Ricky Ponting has denied his side a deserved chance of securing a famous victory. Rather than pressing home an advantage secured by dint of outstanding swing bowling and inspired spin in a fraught and fascinating afternoon session, the Australian captain preferred to use part-timers. Presumably, it was an attempt to improve an ailing over rate. Perhaps he was worried about missing the next match. Both issues pale into insignificance besides trying with every power at his disposal to retain the Border-Gavaskar Trophy. There was a match to win. To an almost bizarre degree, Ponting lost the plot.

To set the scene, India took tea on 6-166, leading by 252 and clearly in trouble. In the hour beforehand, the hosts had scored 18 runs and lost three important wickets. Jason Krejza produced an off-break so perfectly pitched that it turned Very Very Special into Very Very Surprised Laxman. Somehow, the ball found a way between a bat and a pad pushed forwards as a second line of defence, whereupon it knocked over a stump. Krejza's offerings are not as gentle as they seem. But poison can be covered in chocolate. Australia felt a sudden whiff of hope.

One ball later, the whiff had turned into a sniff. Sourav Ganguly was playing his last innings in the colours of his country. Suffice it to say that he scored as many runs as The Don on his last appearance, and did not last as long. Gangles found his first ball inviting a drive, tried a glide into the open spaces and succeeded only in lifting a catch back to the bowler. Diving full length, Krejza gobbled up the chance like a shark upon a minnow. In the words of one local, the home team was in a tizzy.

In a trice, two wickets had fallen and suddenly the Australians could smell victory. Mahendra Dhoni strode to the crease to sort out then mess. But India's mad hour was not over. Sachin Tendulkar has been criticised for losing his head when India depended on him. In the last over before tea, he added weight to the argument. Far from holding firm, he embarked on an ill-advised sortie only to be sent back by an alert captain. He hardly had time to turn. It was an incredible mistake. India were imploding. The crowd was silent, the press box was abuzz.

Everything depended on the first hour after the break. To give themselves a chance, the Australians needed to take four wickets in that hour. Everyone on the ground knew it. The entire stadium was agog. Did not the dressing room sense the mood? Do they not know that there is a tide in the affairs of men that must be taken at the flood?

On the resumption, every man and his dog expected Ponting to throw the ball to his only spinner and one of his weary but incisive pacemen, Brett Lee or Shane Watson. One last, desperate fling was needed from them; the time for rest was later. Instead, he gave Mitchell Johnson a single over and then replaced him with Cameron White. Inevitably, the tension was too much for the amazed part-timer and he a sent down a lot of tripe. He was not the man for the job. Already, the game was slipping away.

The nonsense was not finished. After two erratic overs, White was withdrawn and the ball tossed to Michael Hussey. The message was clear. In effect, Australia were putting the match aside and concentrating on threatened sanctions for a lamentably slow over rates. Hussey can keep a line and length but is about as threatening as a poodle. He bowled tidily and the batsmen milked him easily. Eventually, he was replaced by Michael Clarke. Still no sight of the pacemen. Australia were thinking more about the fine than the result.

It is impossible to explain let alone the excuse the tactics pursued hereabouts by the Australian think tank. These events occurred directly after an interval. Somehow, a group of experienced cricketers and leaders managed to convince themselves that the over rate was more important than the match. At tea, Indian were in trouble. In the ensuing two hours, Dhoni and Harbhajan Singh stroked the ball around cheerfully, adding 100 runs in 100 minutes. It was the most staggering passage of play seen on a day that also included five penalty runs when the keeper threw a glove at the ball, and four overthrows given away by a fieldsman tying his laces. Indeed it was the most incomprehensible spell seen from an Australian team for a quarter of a century.

In the afternoon, the Australians were full of fight. After tea, they came perilously close to throwing in the towel. Krejza kept taking wickets and Watson was finally recalled, but by then, the horse had bolted. The cricketing world will be stunned.

What on earth was he thinking? - Cricket - Sport - smh.com.au

The only way Ponting can redeem himself in the short term is to win the test for us with his batting- otherwise he's in a for a long long summer! ;)

Back