Australia in New Zealand

Australia in New Zealand

Australia is in NZ for a month or so to play a standard tour with all the bells and whistels. A few T20's, a few ODI's and then two test matchs.

All matchs will be shown on foxsports.

Australia just belted New Zealand in the first T20 - New Zealand had a bit to say before the match but the pace of Tait and Johnson really was too much for them.

Re: Australia V New Zealand

Fri Feb 26
1st T20I - New Zealand v Australia
Westpac Stadium, Wellington

Sun Feb 28
2nd T20I - New Zealand v Australia
AMI Stadium, Christchurch

Wed Mar 3
1st ODI - New Zealand v Australia
McLean Park, Napier

Sat Mar 6
2nd ODI - New Zealand v Australia
Eden Park, Auckland

Tue Mar 9
3rd ODI - New Zealand v Australia
Seddon Park, Hamilton

Thu Mar 11
4th ODI - New Zealand v Australia
Eden Park, Auckland

Sat Mar 13
5th ODI - New Zealand v Australia

Fri Mar 19 - Tue Mar 23
1st Test - New Zealand v Australia
Basin Reserve, Wellington

Sat Mar 27 - Wed Mar 31
2nd Test - New Zealand v Australia
Seddon Park, Hamilton

Fri Feb 26
1st T20I - New Zealand v Australia

Sun Feb 28
2nd T20I - New Zealand v Australia
AMI Stadium, Christchurch

Wed Mar 3
1st ODI - New Zealand v Australia
McLean Park, Napier

Sat Mar 6
2nd ODI - New Zealand v Australia
Eden Park, Auckland

Tue Mar 9
3rd ODI - New Zealand v Australia
Seddon Park, Hamilton

Thu Mar 11
4th ODI - New Zealand v Australia
Eden Park, Auckland

Sat Mar 13
5th ODI - New Zealand v Australia

Fri Mar 19 - Tue Mar 23
1st Test - New Zealand v Australia
Basin Reserve, Wellington

Sat Mar 27 - Wed Mar 31
2nd Test - New Zealand v Australia
Seddon Park, Hamilton

Can't see much past easy Australia wins throughout the series. New Zealand have talent but they lack in the batting department. They are also a bowler short I reckon.

eddiesmith;390142 said:
Going to be a very 1 sided series

New Zealand will have their moments but they lack a true strike bowler without Bond. McKay was talked about as being of interest, not least with his pace but he's out injured. However, if they get the right conditions then they could trouble the Australian batting line up. However, their batting line up is weak.

They lack a consistent opening pair and are also a middle order batsman short. Hence the reliance on Vettori and to some extent McCallum in recent years. Ryder would have made a difference but he is also out with injury.

eddiesmith;390142 said:
Going to be a very 1 sided series

Hello Eddie, come and say hi in the shield thread.

There is much to discuss. :D:D

Really impressed with the way the T20 form is going, I can't think of the last time any team had 3 pace bowlers capable of reaching 155 km/hr.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;390170 said:
Really impressed with the way the T20 form is going, I can't think of the last time any team had 3 pace bowlers capable of reaching 155 km/hr.

I think it would be great when Lee comes back to have 4 of them :D

Lee, Tait, Nannes, Johnson.

They said that Lee and Tait together was like watching Lillee and Thomo all over again. That line up is like watching watching left and right handed clones of Lillee and Thomo playing. :p

What was with putting Johnson in at number 3?

I like the idea, probably prepping him for a more all rounder position, but moreso getting him into form.

I think moving Johnson up the order was more of a 'pinch hitter' role than anything else. I don't mind that idea, but it didnt come off anyway.

They were so far ahead in the game that Clarke could score at a SR of 63 and still win with 24 balls to spare, so getting him into form IMO was the reason.

I was wondering what was going on there, having him come in at 4 made no sense.

I don't blame them for trying to make him into more of an all rounder though. The batting line up is shorter now than it has been for ages. Harris and Johnson are two half decent batsman, but neither are consistent. In ODI/T20s tails should be as short as possible without reducing the quality of bowling, and Johnson being in form will help that.

As I said, people don't understand what the idea of a 'pinch hitter' is. IMO that was what Johnson was used for, with a view to using him for that role in the future when we are chasing bigger targets.

I'm actually surprised that a pinch hitter isn't used more often in both T20 and ODI's.

A classic case of using a pinch hitter was the use of Shane Warne in a quarter final match in the 96 world cup against New Zealand.

We were from memory chasing 280 odd and when the 2nd wicket fell at 2 for 80 Warne was sent in and smashed 24 off 14 balls to get us back up with the required run rate.

We then ended up winning the match.

The idea behind a pinch hitter is using a guy that isn't really needed to come up the order and try to smash sixes basically. If he fails so what?

It is a tactic that should be used more, nearly always when chasing targets.

I believe pinch hitters are kept for the game that they were invented in - baseball.

I think sending up someone like that fails more often than that. It is fine if they get out early like Johnson did, it was an attempt and if it doesn't work they get out as soon as possible, but quite often they can get stuck there. I think the order is best stuck to and if there is a pinch hitter at all he is used like Symonds, bats at 5/6 and comes up to 4 if they are behind the run rate, but still stays around for a proper innings.

In T20s it doesn't really matter what the batting order is.

Point taken. Not the most important of things though.

What do you think of the NZ side as it is? I don't get the chance to watch any of this series so some descriptors as to how they played I will be thankfull.

New Zealand have a world class bowler in Shane Bond, who is capable of bowling at 150 km/hr. But he is only playing in the ODI's and the T20's.

He is capable of getting a bag of wickets.

Ross Taylor and McCullum are dangerous batsmen in the white ball format.

Still, the other night the pace of Tait definitely had the batsmen worried, one of two of them weren't to keen on getting behind the line of the ball.

These guys simply wouldn't have faced that type of pace, and Tait's action makes it hard to get a good bead on the ball.

New Zealand's best chance is defintely taking a couple of games off us in the white ball game, especially if they get to bat first and get decent total then the spinners like Vettori can try and straggle us and make us go for the big shots.

In the test matchs New Zealand will probably prepare a few dust bowls that will take spin, the trade off is that dustbowls will help our bowlers get reverse. Whatever way New Zealand go in the test matchs with regards to pitch preparation I would expect Australia to be too strong overall.

The real difference between the two sides is in the bowling. Australia just has more firepower in all formats.

Overall, New Zealand might win one or two ODI games but I think Australia will be too strong in all formats.

The pace had them worried in the first T20 and Christchurch will be a faster surface than the first T20 match so I think the pace will be too much again tomorrow night.

Trying to judge from one game, this series do they look more threatening then Pakistan and the Windies?

Back