Australia in New Zealand

Re: Australia V New Zealand

To be honest, no.

Bond is a gun bowler, although his potentcy has been reduced by injuries and he only plays in the ODI format.

Apart from him there really isn't anything that we haven't seen before and conquered.

New Zealand aren't going to blow us out of the water, their best chance of getting a win is in the ODI format, bat first and get 250+ and then put the pressure on under lights with the spinners.

Their bowling unit is arguably weaker than both Pakistan and West Indies, IMO Pakistan have a stronger bowling line up than New Zealand.

I actually think Pakistan are a decent side, but they struggled in Australia due to the extra bounce. Pakistan have some very good bowlers. They will push England in England later this year.

Overall, it would not surprise me the least if Australia went through this tour undefeated. Australia is just so hungry at the moment, they have a nice little change over of players from format to format which keeps the team up and about. New guys come in and recharge the guys that might be getting a bit tired.

New Zealand were worried about the pace, there is no doubt about that.

The only two sides that Australia play to lead them up to the Ashes with any strength are Sri Lanka and England - and they are both in the ODI format.

Look, to be perfectly honest, I don't think England will be much of a threat in Australia. I'm pom bashing or anything, I just think a tour of Australia still holds a massive aura, especially for an England side.

I don't think they have the bowlers to make a dent in Australia, and that is where IMO they will fall down.

Hell, even when we got beaten in Australia by South Africa they had to play out of their skins to beat us.

Australia plays well at home while England has always struggled.

It will be billed as a contest but I am confident Australia will win quite easily.

Don't get me wrong, New Zealand will always give it a red hot crack, but they just don't have the talent to beat us over 5 days.

However, unlike the Windies or the Pakistani's they won't give in which makes beating them in New Zealand always a good test.

Australia plays England in England (ODI series) as well as Pakistan in England (Test series) later this year. Not favourable conditions really. That will be the test.

Of course it will be.

Pakistan are a lot better side then many people give them credit for.

They will be a challenge there, the lower, slower wickets will suit there batsmen and the likes of Asif and Kaneria are world class performers.

The Kiwis must have somebody better to open the batting with McCullum, Ingram is a potato.

4 fa 84 off 11.

Good move bringing the spinners on, reckon the Kiwis will need a big score to defend on this ground. At least McCullum is still in.

Australia is actually ahead on New Zealand on an over by over comparison, but NZ really took off late.

Australia need to go early to compensate for that.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;390191 said:
As I said, people don't understand what the idea of a 'pinch hitter' is. IMO that was what Johnson was used for, with a view to using him for that role in the future when we are chasing bigger targets.

I'm actually surprised that a pinch hitter isn't used more often in both T20 and ODI's.

A classic case of using a pinch hitter was the use of Shane Warne in a quarter final match in the 96 world cup against New Zealand.

We were from memory chasing 280 odd and when the 2nd wicket fell at 2 for 80 Warne was sent in and smashed 24 off 14 balls to get us back up with the required run rate.

We then ended up winning the match.

The idea behind a pinch hitter is using a guy that isn't really needed to come up the order and try to smash sixes basically. If he fails so what?

It is a tactic that should be used more, nearly always when chasing targets.
There's no real need for a pinch hitter in the modern game, where batsmen are so offensively minded that they will punish the balls that are there to be scored from anyway. It was different in the older days when the ODI middle-order bats were primarily accumulators used to scoring consistently at the rate of 4 an over and no more.

There is no point sending (for example) Brett Lee up the order, when you can be confident that a Ponting or a White or a Haddin is just as capable of hitting every loose ball for the maximum.

White almost taken on the rope, that hurts Should be a reasonable tight finish from here, Australia probably just in front.

Kram81;390290 said:
Yeah, that boundary behind square is bloody short.
This must be the ground that Collingwood went crazy on during their last tour, just kept flicking em over fine leg, no effort needed to clear that boundary

Back