Australia vs England - The Ashes 2021/22

Above all we will need good players of spin. Will CA pick any. Looking at the last time we played in India in 2017 we took one Test and drew another. Our best effort in India for years. No guesses as to our best player on that tour.

Last edited:
You only need tow front line quicks there
You need shorter skiddy bowlers over there. So I am taking Jhye Richardson and Cummins with Green as third seamer/bat plus three spinners. Our selectors tho will choose the three frontliners and probably only the two spinners .

Last edited:
Sorry I dont see the logic.. Scotland and other associates yes.. but Ireland needs to be playing Tests against us. That will raise their confidence not playing against a state side.

Baggers.

My point was rather than Ireland sitting at home doing nothing in their winter, get them out here to play a test against Australia and then maybe a few first class games against some of the state teams. Better off them playing some cricket rather than nothing at all.

If we are going to recall players was my point. Renshaw looks a far improved player.. mentally more than anything else. He was in dark place for two years after loosing his baggy green. I think there was politics at play back then too.. I have been watching Handscomb and as I said he had ironed out his major flaws which saw him dumped. He is also a good player of spin and god knows we will need them on the sub continent.

Baggers.

.. because good bowlers had worked out his obvious technical flaws. But before that he had posted two centuries and four 50s and was averaging well over @40 if memory serves.

Baggers.

Would prefer Kurtis Patterson from my perspective but feel Handscomb may be in the frame.

So will Hunt or Street be given a berth in the Pakistan squad. Or any new faces for that matter?
Will CA look outside the current side for good players of spin.

Baggers.

I reckon one of Hunt or Street may be a chance of being in the squad. It really depends how many players they are allowed to take, if it's 17 or 18 then one of them may get a gig in the squad as a reserve opener as I feel Harris will be included regardless of how he fares in the remaining two tests.

Just hit Sydney this morning. La Nina is back with a vengeance to spoil our Sydney Test. 😡

Forecast looks bleak for tomorrow with showers and 8-25mm forecast. Thursday is more of the same with showers and 4-10mm predicted. Friday a shower or two is expected with 1-4mm while Saturday is also a shower or two with 1-10mm. Sunday is a shower or two and 0-3mm.

Not a great looking forecast if I'm honest although given Sydney's climate there is generally rain around at this time of the year.

So just one change for either side tomorrow. Usman Khawaja replace Travis Head which is out after having contracted COVID-19. England have also made one change, Stuart Broad replaces Ollie Robinson. Interestingly, no changes to their batting order although the pitch looks to be fairly flat given the pre-match reports. No doubt the weather will play a part with showers forecast for all five days, the opening two days being the wetter days at this stage.

Guys nothing more than drizzle over here in the south. Radar is showing some encouragement with only scattered clouds heading to SCG from off the coast. The biggest worry will be drying the surface for play after intermittent showers.

Last edited:
Stuart Broad replaces Ollie Robinson.
Bit of a surprise it is Robinson being replaced. Has been one of their most consistent bowlers.

Glad that Uzzie will get his comeback on his spiritual home ground.
Would prefer Kurtis Patterson from my perspective but feel Handscomb may be in the frame.
Kurtis has been a bit up and down past few years. That century he posted in Nov at SCG was top drawer quality tho. Not an easy deck that one.

LJ and Sooz you two watch more BBL than I. Tell me who you think the best players of spin have been in recent times. I mean those that are clever against the spinner rather than use risky slog sweeping. Have been trawling batting stats for best spin players in the Shield but unable to find a thing. Two guys I have identified are Sam Heaslett and Mac Wright. Any others.

Last edited:
Bit of a surprise it is Robinson being replaced. Has been one of their most consistent bowlers.

Glad that Uzzie will get his comeback on his spiritual home ground.

Kurtis has been a bit up and down past few years. That century he posted in Nov at SCG was top drawer quality tho. Not an easy deck that one.

LJ and Sooz you two watch more BBL than I. Tell me who you think the best players of spin have been in recent times. I mean those that are clever against the spinner rather than use risky slog sweeping. Have been trawling batting stats for best spin players in the Shield but unable to find a thing. Two guys I have identified are Sam Heaslett and Mac Wright. Any others.

Very tough but probably a list (best players of spin) that includes

Peter Handscomb
Matt Renshaw
Jason Sangha (pity he’s been putrid in FC cricket)
Cameron Bancroft (he’s really good)

Probably a few I’m forgetting

Jason Sangha (pity he’s been putrid in FC cricket)
Bit of an enigma this kid. Still young so has time to turn around his red ball career. Bancroft is interesting. Has to be in the mix too for a recall. Coming off a good shield season.. @48 with three tons. He is another that appears to have been working on his technical flaws.

CA should have arranged an A team to tour the sub continent concurrently with our Test squad with some of our best spin players. To have them cherry ripe if we have any Test failures. Wont happen because of its obsession with white ball.

Baggers

Last edited:
Back